• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you actually USE the "rev match" feature? I HATE it. I wish I could remove those stupid paddles!! I keep hitting 'em by mistake! lol

·
Administrator
15,906 Posts
When I took the Ron Fellow's course (one of the first times it was offered when the C7 initially came out), we drove the manuals both with and without using the rev matching. While I consider myself to be fairly adept at using manuals, and 'heel-toeing,' the rev matching was highly effective (especially when we were also encouraged not to do 'heel-toeing' but basically 'rolling' the foot sideways because the pedals are pretty close together as compared to other cars). I did it both ways, and found that in quick down shifts on tight turns, the rev match was useful and allowed more concentration on hitting the apex. Never hit it by mistake.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I took the Ron Fellow's course (one of the first times it was offered when the C7 initially came out), we drove the manuals both with and without using the rev matching. While I consider myself to be fairly adept at using manuals, and 'heel-toeing,' the rev matching was highly effective (especially when we were also encouraged not to do 'heel-toeing' but basically 'rolling' the foot sideways because the pedals are pretty close together as compared to other cars). I did it both ways, and found that in quick down shifts on tight turns, the rev match was useful and allowed more concentration on hitting the apex. Never hit it by mistake.
I always hit the SOB when I go to change the music/volume.... lol

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
In my mind the functional purpose of the rev match is really only on the track. Other than that it is just for those who get a smile from the sound of the blip.

Funny story...When we first got our 14, my wife was driving on a city 4-lane highway. It just so happened that a local police car was in the lane along side of her so she was nervously watching her speed. Without knowing, she had activated the rev match and each time she would down shift for a signal light the exhaust blip loudly. She couldn't figure why it was doing that and thought that the officer was going to ticket her for being a smart azz. I couldn't help but have a little smirk on my face when she got home and told me the story. She has since enjoyed telling that story many times to our Corvette friends.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife can't drive a stick. I've practically begged her to learn in all of the Vettes I've had. She won't do it. A Vette is probably the easiest car in the world to learn in. Go from 1st to 4th? It doesn't care.... but she won't....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love Rev Match. Paired it with a short throw shifter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since Rev Matching also works on the up shift, it helps on those occasions, when you are a little off on the up shift timing. I agree the down shift is of valve on the track.

Reactions: Z28+23

·
Registered
67 Posts
It took a bit to get used to it, however now that I have over 5 years using it, I find that I miss it on the downshifts if not engaged. As stated earlier, the Ron Fellows corvette owners school talks about this and by simply using it, you can help to reduce the stress on the drive train. If you are running a Z06 or ZR1, then the supercharger gives a wicked blip on the downshifts too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the good fortune to get a "hot" lap in a Z06 with Rick Malone (head instructor) behind the wheel. He said that he used the heel/toe method on the track but always used the REV Match on the street ... he indicated that it was better to use it to minimize wear on the synchros.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had manual transmission cars continuously since 1969. When I bought the 2014 C7 with M7 rev matching, I loved it. The only thing is that if you shift into neutral for coming to a dead stop, it will rev up or down thinking that's where you were actually heading - it does not read minds. For day to day driving, it is the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you actually USE the "rev match" feature? I HATE it. I wish I could remove those stupid paddles!! I keep hitting 'em by mistake! lol
I actually flip the paddle every time I start the car. The only thing I would change on my C7 is allowing rev-matching a default option upon startup.
As a long time manual driver who can heal-and-toe I wince every time drivers downshift to brake and don't know how to rev-match. Reason: brakes are easier (and cheaper) to replace that clutches.
Auto rev-matching makes it a joy to really drive the car to a higher potential during everyday driving without undo wear on components and really comes into it's own when one wants to fly.............

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rev match does help drive train shock and clutch wear... but unless you're double clutching (when's the last time you heard that term?) I don't think you will save wear on synchros. Double clutch, is to hesitate in neutral in the down shift, let the clutch out (in neutral), blip the throttle, clutch and complete the shift. Purpose is to spin up the synchros and gears in the lower gear to minimize wear. Apparently an old thing truck drivers used to do (?).
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh... in nearly seven years, never "accidentally" turned rev match on or off... just sayin' 🙂

Reactions: Z28+23 and rdslon01

·
Registered
6 Posts
Friends, as a teenager I was the 3rd owner a car with the synchros on 2nd worn out. The selling owner taught me how to double-clutch my downshifts. Later I even learned well enough to downshift into non-synchro 1st gear. (I couldn't do that now!)

I don't find the rev-matching very interesting because it doesn't reduce synchro wear. Perhaps clutch wear; not synchros. I've only tried it a few times (I do not track our C7) and do not use it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
When I said "no" for the survey... i do sometimes "play" with rev match. In normal driving, I don't go backwards downshifting thru the gears for each stop or turn (when coming to a stop, I don't like the blip it gives just before the stop, when shifting to first in preparation to drive off). I will apply throttle in a slow turn (not heal-toe during braking) when letting the clutch out after a downshift... for my own rev match.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having the engine at the correct RPM during a downshiftt has to reduce stress and wear on the clutch, transmission and the other drivetrain components. I love it, it works perfectly almost every time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I don't find the rev-matching very interesting because it doesn't reduce synchro wear. Perhaps clutch wear; not synchros. I've only tried it a few times (I do not track our C7) and do not use it.
HEY... you're confirming my thoughts exactly! Cast your "no" vote... I'm lonely there, by myself... 😁

1 - 18 of 18 Posts