Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AutoEvolution is asking whether the StingRay is mean to its passenger. Interesting question.

AutoEvolution said:
Is the 2014 Corvette Stingray Mean to Its Passenger?

The moment you see a 2014 Corvette Stingray in a showroom, you’ll have an urge to look inside. Do this and, among others, you’ll notice the space dedicated to the passenger looks considerably smaller than that offered to the driver.

It’s like GM wanted the one riding on your right to stay isolated. As a passenger, you even have your dedicate climate control area, which is placed just below the dashboard air vent on the right - why would you not stay in your dedicated corner then?

During our 2014 Corvette Stingray review, the passenger seat stay taught us that the problem is not all that deep, but can’t be ignored either. Yes, it all has more of a psychological base, with that center console handle making you feel constrained.

As you go further into the journey, you do feel you are not treated with the same attention as the driver. Nonetheless, the physical space is enough to allow the Corvette to claim the title of a good long distance partner.

As far as the passenger is concerned, this perception-based space drawback is compensated through the comfortable nature of the car. Use the appropriate driving mode (Touring, for instance) and the 2014 Corvette Stingray serves as a nice Grand Tourer.
Is the 2014 Corvette Stingray Mean to Its Passenger?

What do you think?

·
Registered
993 Posts
My wife loves the second seat.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is a an interesting article. I have never heard anyone in their driving ventures suggest this. I could see having this take if owners (or co-pilots) had this view, I just have not heard anyone use the term "mean" or report being isolated in the passenger seat.
Things that make you go "hmmm".

Michael

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think it just demonstrates more of the operator's "Cockpit" feel, especially with the photo. It's more of, "I'm the driver, and this stuff is mine, hand's off." The passenger has their own controls, sparse as they are, so they were not overlooked. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally I think "mean to the passenger" is a stupid statement by AutoEvolution. Sport cars are designed for the driver to strap the car to their ass and have all controls within easy reach. A fighter plane was never designed for the co-pilot. The passenger goes along for the ride. They have controls to adjust their seat and set the temperature. That's enough. Keep your hands off everything else. And, if my wife feels "isolated" all the better. AutoEvolution has their heads up and locked.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My husband complains it is a little snug but not uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife does not feel isolated in the passenger seat of my C7. She enjoys all the comforts it avails. The separate temp control is a nice touch for the passenger to use as wanted. Neither if us have the feeling that the drivers side is so separate from the passenger. The sounds emanating when in Sport mode makes for a very romantic feeling while cruising down the highway for both occupants. Maybe that reviewer needs to get a life!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
My husband complains it is a little snug but not uncomfortable.

Your husband should know: he has had a lot of seat time, including the episode when you locked him in the car!

·
Registered
827 Posts
IMO, I don't think the passenger is thinking about how much space they have when they're running down the road at 140 mph. Perhaps the author should allow one us to demonstrate so they can tell us what they might be focusing on; temp control, confinement. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
A Corvette is a drivers car. That being said, the passenger (in the case of my wife) is additional eye candy, or witness. My 1990 was the first Corvette to have an isolated drivers cockpit. It does have a fight-plane like feel to it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I agree with Glenn what a crazy article. I did not feel confined when I let my son drive the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are just referring to space, there is little if any difference between left and right. The optical illusion is created by the center hand hold. In fact, the left side has less room if you consider the space taken up by the steering and foot controls.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
If you are just referring to space, there is little if any difference between left and right. The optical illusion is created by the center hand hold. In fact, the left side has less room if you consider the space taken up by the steering and foot controls.
Bingo!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I believe that there is equal room for what the cockpit is built for, pilot and navigator.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why should a two seater, that is most likely used by one person a great deal of time, need to cater to passenger? Just my thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
366 Posts
Would have to weigh in in the same side as all of the above comments.

And I'd add... If this is all reviewers and critics have left to complain about, it's a testament to how far Vettes have come!

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Would have to weigh in in the same side as all of the above comments.

And I'd add... If this is all reviewers and critics have left to complain about, it's a testament to how far Vettes have come!

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **
Yes I agree.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All my passengers have said about their space is "Cool, I have handles to hold on to on both sides!"

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mean? This car? The passenger gets TWO vents, their own temperature control, and even their OWN SEAT. With power adjustments, heating, and ventilation no less! That's A LOT of valuable weight and space!

Reactions: red1996lt4
1 - 20 of 30 Posts