Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the C7 (2017) navigation maps are based on (Garmin, TomTom, ect)? I have several .gpx tour routes that would be nice to import into the C7 navigation system. Anyone know if this is posable?
TIA: Tommy

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
774 Posts
I don't know for sure but it seems that OEM NAV systems don't allow integration of external maps or routes. The closest to what you are asking would be newer cars that allow ApplePlay and GooglePlay where Navigation Apps like Waze or Google Maps can show on your infotainment or Navigation screen.

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Don't know of any external routing that can be imported other than when you get NAV directions through "My Chevrolet" app/On Star on your phone or computer.

Reactions: Tommy61

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reply is a question. I just purchased the GM 2020 navigation upgrade and as it takes 50 minutes to install, according to the instructions, and can be installed while driving, vs. taking the car out from storage and idling it outside for 50 minutes, I think will wait for spring for the install. Anyway, question is, can it be installed on more than one car? If it can be installed on more than one car does it have to be another 2014 Vette or can it be installed on any year Vette or any other GM car?

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
774 Posts
It can only be installed once and it is vin and year specific and upgrades on 2014's are different from a 2015, 2016 etc as each year the Nav improves or features change with each model year.

I did one NAV upgrade and was done in 20 minutes and it was better than the original on my 2014 but Waze and Goggle Maps are still far superior to me so I use those primarily.

I might pay the $1200 so that I can use Apple Play and mirror my phone on the infotainment screen so that my navigation choice of Waze can show on the screen and the phone app are always updated so solves that problem.

Reply is a question. I just purchased the GM 2020 navigation upgrade and as it takes 50 minutes to install, according to the instructions, and can be installed while driving, vs. taking the car out from storage and idling it outside for 50 minutes, I think will wait for spring for the install. Anyway, question is, can it be installed on more than one car? If it can be installed on more than one car does it have to be another 2014 Vette or can it be installed on any year Vette or any other GM car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
1 - The map system in 2014 Corvettes in VIN-specific for ONE vehicle only. It is made by Here.com and I was never impressed. Garmin is far better, and Google maps on your phone is best, since it is always up to date.
- I originally complained so strongly to GM that they sent me a free update, but when my infotainment system got the dreaded "won't light up after going down and up" problem I wound up having to upgrade maps again. I won't go into the almost year-long horrible details dealing with Here.com and GM to get new maps AND modules/parts so that it actually worked, but I did pay $99 plus tax for the upgrade. I wanted the C7 to be in full working condition in case I sold it when I upgraded to a C8.

2 - My map FOB said to update ONLY when the car was idling and parked. NOT when driving. My guess is that if the power faults, as it might if you stall out momentarily for whatever reason, the system will die and you will need to replace the map FOB. Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary was very helpful in diagnosing all the problems under extended warranty.

3 - I understand the C8s will connect to use Apple and Android maps, so I would never have to upgrade the built-in maps again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts