Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was telling a group of us that the only way you get the top rear fender vents is you have to order a Z51
I told him I've never seen a C7 without them. Who is right? Thanks, Dean

·
Registered
680 Posts
A friend of mine was telling a group of us that the only way you get the top rear fender vents is you have to order a Z51
I told him I've never seen a C7 without them. Who is right? Thanks, Dean

Here's my 2LT Coupe (non-Z51)

c&c4.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Are the vents on the non Z51 functional though? The Z51 package adds ducts and cooling for the diferential

·
Registered
6 Posts
Z51 Vents

Only the Z51 contains the ducts that route the air to the differential cooler (passenger side). The passenger side vent on the base, while still there, are non-functional. The driver side vent is functional on models with automatics. The lower bumper vents and front gill vents are functional and provide brake cooling on all models.

After watching production in person, I'd suppose it's possible for one to unblock and put a differential duct on a base model. Could be an aftermarket kit available one day to do just that.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Are the vents on the non Z51 functional though? The Z51 package adds ducts and cooling for the diferential
Yes, it was designed that way for cooling... just like the vents on the hood.

·
18,669 Posts
The vents are functional on all Z-51 cars and also all automatics.

Historically during the last twenty years, other than specialty models which only came with a manual trans (e.g Z06), automatic transmissions accounted for 2/3's of all Corvette sales. Those who get manuals disproportionately get the cars with suspension packages. Putting these two together, GM's is expecting that the coupe's fender vents (vents located underneath in the convertibles) will be functional on approximately 85% of all StingRays.

·
Administrator
16,281 Posts
The vents are functional on all Z-51 cars and also all automatics.

Historically during the last twenty years, other than specialty models which only came with a manual trans (e.g Z06), automatic transmissions accounted for 2/3's of all Corvette sales. Those who get manuals disproportionately get the cars with suspension packages. Putting these two together, GM's is expecting that the coupe's fender vents (vents located underneath in the convertibles) will be functional on approximately 85% of all StingRays.
Clarifying: functional on all automatics whether Z or base.

Reactions: YllwStgr

·
Registered
273 Posts
Interesting about the functionality of the brake and rear vents, as the Chevrolet website states that the Z51 Performance Package has functional vents- doesn't say anything about Automatics

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
the z51 package has both vents functional to coolers
the non z51 automatic uses one vent to cool the transmission
the non z51 7 speed vents are not functional

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe the C-7 Convertible will not have those vents on any model. According to my source. Because of the way the top is stored.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts