Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all|

I noticed that my gauges are running a bit high but they may be normal since I am in Texas and it is a bit warmer here. The larger gauge in the main cluster says 219-220 and the smaller one in the middle is a bit higher. Not sure if that one really works or not. What temps are you all seeing? Have you noticed a pattern of running hot or are any of you close to this temp? Wonder if this is normal? What is normal for the C7? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398659373.069203.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398659445.724025.jpg

Thanks for the info!!

Stacey

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
C7 runs right around 220 right now but i haven't seen any temps over 80 here. I'm eager to get our radiator in and adjust the fan controls with a lower T stat and see if we can get it adjusted to the 200-210 range.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm in Lynchburg Va Sunday the temp outside was 80 degrees My temp was at 200 I was wondering the same thing since this is the first time since October when I got my car that the outside temp was this high.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
As Glen said that temp. is considered "normal operating temp".
Wow!!! Hate to sound like a dummy and I guess I'm old school, but I thought 190-200 was pretty warm and borderline hot!!! Seeing as how oil temps often correspond with water temps and oil starts breaking down over 230 degrees, wouldn't this present a problem?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Wow!!! Hate to sound like a dummy and I guess I'm old school, but I thought 190-200 was pretty warm and borderline hot!!! Seeing as how oil temps often correspond with water temps and oil starts breaking down over 230 degrees, wouldn't this present a problem?
The coolant mixture and 15 lb pressure cap raise the boiling point to approx. 260 degrees.
195-200 is ideal temp for efficient combustion and it evaporates any moisture / condensation from crankcase.

·
Administrator
16,589 Posts
Stacey, you probably knew this but the smaller gauge is showing oil temperature and the larger one is showing water temperature. As others have noted this is the typical range for normal driving with our Stingrays. We have had a few days in the 90s here in Vegas and both temps don't tend to get any higher under those circumstances and normal driving. I have seen slightly elevated temps for a brief period following very spirited driving but they settle back quickly. :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stacey, you probably knew this but the smaller gauge is showing oil temperature and the larger one is showing water temperature. As others have noted this is the typical range for normal driving with our Stingrays. We have had a few days in the 90s here in Vegas and both temps don't tend to get any higher under those circumstances and normal driving. I have seen slightly elevated temps for a brief period following very spirited driving but they settle back quickly. :cool:
Thanks for letting me know. Yes, I had already turned my car off so you can't see the larger gauge. I was a bit concerned because it seemed that the heat was cooling off much and I wasn't driving crazy. I was in a little traffic but I thought that once I started moving it would cool off but I didn't notice it going down any. I will keep an eye on it. Check y'all's now that it is getting warmer out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my Z51, I am seeing two different engine temperatures after warm-up. The large analog (needle) gauge on the lower right of the driver display indicates a solid 220 degree reading. BUT if you select the Performance setting and see the tabular display near the center of the tach display, there is a different value indicated. First line (engine temperature ) will read about 183 degrees.....almost 40 degrees less than the analog gauge. Are the sensors in different places in the coolant stream? What am I missing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just read the below info on AUTOMD when I was looking for TSB for belt tensioner. Didn't find anything on belt tensioner there but this is interesting about the temp. gauges:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Digital Instrument Panel Service Bulletin 368261

NHTSA: Action Number: 10055116 Service Bulletin Number: 368261
Report Date:
Feb 01, 2014Component:
Digital Instrument Panel
Summary: Gm: while the ignition is positioned to on, the fuel, engine coolant temperature, and tachometer analog gauges on the instrument do not move from the minimum value. Engineers need to gather the vehicles' information prior to any attempt to

·
Registered
993 Posts
On my Z51, I am seeing two different engine temperatures after warm-up. The large analog (needle) gauge on the lower right of the driver display indicates a solid 220 degree reading. BUT if you select the Performance setting and see the tabular display near the center of the tach display, there is a different value indicated. First line (engine temperature ) will read about 183 degrees.....almost 40 degrees less than the analog gauge. Are the sensors in different places in the coolant stream? What am I missing?
The 220 is the coolant temp. The 183 sounds like maybe trans temp or oil temp. Oil temp will hold pretty close to 200 once you are fully warmed up and cruising.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine runs at 220 almost all the time, the cooling fan seams to be on all the time as well, and runs for about a minute after I turn off the car. I am in Phoenix and it has been around 110 out.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Mine does the same thing seabear, the analog sits on 220 all the time, and the other runs about 204, so about a 15 degree difference. Obviously not as big a difference as yours but a difference just the same. My oil temp averages around 218.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most of us seem in the same ballpark. I'm solid 220 analog and 204-208 on the other. Oil 218-220. What bothers me is the fan comes on shortly after start up and stays on...just as Ranger75 reports. But it's about 80 degrees here. When I turn the engine off, the fan usually shuts off at the same time unless it's a hot day. Which is normal. But it sounds like the fan is running even at freeway speeds....anybody?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Guys running Z06s on the track routinely see oil temps in the 260-280 range. Modern oil formulations have no trouble running more than 230. On the street, my Z usually runs in the 220-230 in regular summer street use. From the factory, I believe the thermostat is a 194 F model.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If I am running AC and traveling in stop & go traffic, the fan runs at constant high speed, keeping coolant at about 190. Once moving, the fan cuts to a lower speed (non-audible) and temps hover around 205. If I do some flogging, temps hit 220 and the fan kicks into high until I back off and temps return to the 205 range.

I am running a modified front aero plate & Novibra in 85-92 degree temps.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hope this is not a dumb question - Ok so these are all examples. Does anyone know what is Normal ranges are? What would be considered HIGH or out of range temps for a base Stingray? Also, considering we have Coolant temp, Oil Temp, and Engine temp? (i think!) What would be the normal ranges for all 3? Was wondering this as I was cruising around this weekend... like when would you know it's time to take it easy. Any info would be appreciate and helpful. TIA!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts