Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the vette out today for my first ever lapping day at Cayuga's race track. I've done lapping days at other tracks on track bikes, but never a car, so I have to say I was a little nervous. (I'm booked for Ron Fellows in March)
All I have done so far to prepare the vette for the track is, change to DOT 4 brake fluid and drop the tire pressure to 26psi. I learned later how important the correct tire pressure is. I didn't have a jack so I couldn't install the brake rings.
There happened to be a vette owner there who offered to come out with me and show me the "line". That was awesome. After, he offered to take me for a few hot laps in his track prepped vette. He's quick, but I stared getting motion sick after the first lap. By the fourth lap I had to get him to stop so I could toss my cookies. (Going to take Gravol to Ron Fellows just in case)
I spent the time recovering just talking with people at the track. If you've ever been worried about going to your first track day, don't, people are so helpful. I let a bunch of young children sit in the car and get their pictures taken by their parents. Everyone loves the car.
When I went back out on my third session I hadn't check the tire pressure. I had gone up to 29psi and the car felt very unstable. I came out of a corner on the gas and the car shot sideways. I have to thank the computer for getting me straight again, I don't think I could have been quick enough to figure it all out. I drove all day in "Race-Dry" I reduced the pressure to the correct 25psi and it transformed the car back into being controllable.
The rest of the day the car just kept getting faster and faster. My best pass of the day was a "Turbo 911". I did get my butt handed to me by a IMSA Astin Martin. Shocking how loud those cars are as they power past your open window.
What did I learn today? This car is truly amazing, the level of grip and confidence these tires provides is breath taking. Powering out of a corner hard on the gas being able to control the car's position on the track with just your right foot is addictive. Anyone who has even the slightest desire to take their car to limit, should try a lapping day. There were three vettes there today, all different levels of commitment to the sport. Mine was the least committed so far.
GM, you have built one heck of a car. Thank you so much!

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Appreciate the write-up Paul. Thanks for posting.:cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Paul, I would have joined you except for a family commitment on Monday afternoon. I'm glad to hear its so easy to join the tracking crowd :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I'll be going back to Cayuga when I can. It was a good day.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As long as you had fun, that's what counts.

There'll be time for lapping Porche's and other foreign POS' s later.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Paul, reads like you had a blast. The corner your Vette shot sideways, was it a 90 degree turn. I will someday make it to the track in my C7, I'm keeping notes in my brain housing group of everybody's write ups from their track experience. Besides lowering the tire pressure, can you take a C7 on the track without changing brake fluid?

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul, reads like you had a blast. The corner your Vette shot sideways, was it a 90 degree turn. I will someday make it to the track in my C7, I'm keeping notes in my brain housing group of everybody's write ups from their track experience. Besides lowering the tire pressure, can you take a C7 on the track without changing brake fluid?

SF
Rick
The corner was a little more then a 90 degree corner. I would think you could get away without changing the brake fluid for a single track day. But I know that I'm going to be going to as many as my schedule will allow. I will mention that I could smell the brakes the first couple of sessions, but the rest of the day there was no smell or fade at all.
The next track prep that I'm going to take care of is to get the wheels alliend for the track and install the rings for the brakes.

Reactions: U.S. Marine
1 - 8 of 8 Posts