Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using or have used to blackout the chrome strip on the C7 Stingray ? I have seen threads mentioning VettFX but couldn't find them on the internet. I recently purchased plastic painted parts from RPI to cover the strip, but the fit wasn't very good and their method of double stick tape isn't very good either. I think I want to do a vinyl overlay but I'm not sure what the best product out there is that won't shrink away from the edges.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,801 Posts
I thought "VetteFx" went out of business and the owner was moving to Hawaii or something but indicated once he got settled he would possibly reopen is what I recalled as I might have gotten an email since I had done business with him in the past. If I recall before I replaced my grille, I bought vinyl tape from the local auto store and covered the metal brace on the stingray grille and used a heat gun or hair dryer to warm it up to mold it onto the grill good. Also, a google search for "Corvette C7 Grille tape" you will find options.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I thought "VetteFx" went out of business and the owner was moving to Hawaii or something but indicated once he got settled he would possibly reopen is what I recalled as I might have gotten an email since I had done business with him in the past. If I recall before I replaced my grille, I bought vinyl tape from the local auto store and covered the metal brace on the stingray grille and used a heat gun or hair dryer to warm it up to mold it onto the grill good. Also, a google search for "Corvette C7 Grille tape" you will find options.
I tried electrical tape - didn’t like it
Hood Light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Then bought blackout covers from a vendor it looked great like OEM had for couple years
Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

now last year I swapped out for Z06 grill - love it!

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm happy with the el-cheapo black electrical tape, and I replace it every few years. It takes about 5 minutes to apply, is easily removed, and basically costs nothing.:cool:

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes. The electric tape is perfect and easy to apply. The 3/4 inch covers it perfectly.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
92 Posts
What is everyone using or have used to blackout the chrome strip on the C7 Stingray ? I have seen threads mentioning VettFX but couldn't find them on the internet. I recently purchased plastic painted parts from RPI to cover the strip, but the fit wasn't very good and their method of double stick tape isn't very good either. I think I want to do a vinyl overlay but I'm not sure what the best product out there is that won't shrink away from the edges.
I used the carbon flash plastic covers from RPI and they work great. If they don't fit, return them for another set, until they do. That is what I did. It took 4 different sets, but finally go a perfect fit. And they have stayed on for over 4 years now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a wrap that looks EXACTLY like Carbon Flash Metallic applied to my ‘14 Stingray by a local wrap installer. I think* it was made by 3M. Cost $50 installed and looked like it came that way.

*🤔

·
Registered
419 Posts
I masked and sprayed with Plasti Dip (no special prep, just cleaned well). Four years ago, and still holding up fine (lots of highway miles... 3 trips between WI and FL).
Theoretically, should still be removable also.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
16 Posts
PlastiDip! Tons of colors available. I did mine along with Z51 wheels in anthracite grey three years ago and it is still going strong. I’d say the same for the wheels, but I replaced those.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
PlastiDip! Tons of colors available. I did mine along with Z51 wheels in anthracite grey three years ago and it is still going strong. I’d say the same for the wheels, but I replaced those.

Yet, you still have the chrome Stingray Emblem? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I masked and sprayed with Plasti Dip (no special prep, just cleaned well). Four years ago, and still holding up fine (lots of highway miles... 3 trips between WI and FL).
Theoretically, should still be removable also. View attachment 283151
They also have a Carbon Flash Metallic spray paint. You can find it on Amazon. It is an OEM GM product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the same black stripe material I used on the center of my hood. Looks great and easy to apply with a little patience and an exacta knife. Good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
This might be just a tiny bit off topic... but with all my "minor" mods, as painting the grill bar here, I always endeavor to make them easily "reversible". This became a habit when restoring my '66 convertible (in 1974, when I first got into Corvettes)... when pricing an older car (how long will it take for a C7?)... USUALLY, the cost to undo a mod is subtracted from the expected value of a vehicle... Say a '66 convertible in perfect original shape would have an expected value of $100,000 (I have no idea... just for explanation purposes)... but it has flared wheel wells and is painted pink... it's value would be reduced by the cost to "undo" the flares and repaint to original color. Of course, if someone really wanted exactly those mods, then it might be different? Hope that's understandable.
They also have a Carbon Flash Metallic spray paint. You can find it on Amazon. It is an OEM GM product.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2016 Z51 2LT with MagRide, PDR
42 Posts
I have the vinyl overlay on my 2016 Z51, no problems, easy install.

·
Registered
2015 Z51 7M
222 Posts
I also swapped out for a Z06 grill after several attempts/methods to blackout the dental retainer and wasn’t happy. Love the Z06 grill.

Attachments

Reactions: Digitalspeed

·
Registered
2014 C7 Stingray convertible Z51 3LT Torch Red/black int.
22 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts