Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, Dealer tells me I need new from tires, now at 4/32, with only 23,000 miles. New replacement Michelin Pilot Super Sport original equipment has average life of 30,000 miles. Is this normal? If so are most owners replacing with the same original Michelin tires or another brand for better mileage with the same handling? [Dealer cost including install $764 plus tax; Costco $628 plus tax] P

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
First, 30,000 miles is a estimate based on government mandated wear tests, not a number determined by actually driving lots of cars on the tire until it wears out. As they say, YMMV.

Second, notwithstanding everything below, NEVER, EVER run a different type of tire on the front than the rear. That's the best way I know the screw up the handling of a car, screw with the traction and stability control and ABS programming, and create the potential for dangerous situations in an emergency. If you're only going to replace 2 tires, stick with the OEM Michelins. Period.

Third, I'm not sure you'll get a consensus. Many drivers have swapped out the OEM runflats for non runflat tires to get a softer ride. Others, especially those who take long trips in their Corvettes, prefer the added security of runflats. And it's indisputable that GM optimized the suspension on the Corvette for the factory runflats. Sidewall flex is part of the overall spring rate of the vehicle, and putting tires with softer sidewalls on changes the spring rate.

Many have swapped to all season tires to get longer tread life or to drive in cold weather. Others of us think compromising traction (handling and braking) on a high performance sports car like the Corvette makes no sense.

If you want to stick with high performance runflats, the OEM PSS 3 are probably the best you'll find. If you want to try a non runflat, the new Michelin Pilot 4s are getting rave reviews.

Michelin makes ultra high performance All Season run flats and non runflats, and claims the all season tires are VERY close in performance to the OEM summer tires, but I'm not sure what the current versions of each are. Some owners have put Continental ultra high performance all seasons on their cars and been very happy.

What will work for you really depends on how you drive, and how you value comfort vs. handling and braking vs. tire life vs. the security of runflats.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Paulp, at 4/32 you should still have some wheel time left, unless the cords are beginning to show outer or inner tire. I'm still running OEM runflats with no problems, personal preference will guide your selection.

SF
Rick

Reactions: zigfire66

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd be pleased as punch to get 20,000 miles out of any tire on my cars. My M3 needs new shoes every 16000 miles. My Mini Cooper S made 18,000, My motorcycles get about 5,000... My race car got about 200 miles. Yes 200, every race weekend, a new set of tires. So 21,000 sounds like a bonus..

Its the price you pay for having fun, sticky tires.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Guys, Dealer tells me I need new from tires, now at 4/32, with only 23,000 miles. New replacement Michelin Pilot Super Sport original equipment has average life of 30,000 miles. Is this normal? If so are most owners replacing with the same original Michelin tires or another brand for better mileage with the same handling? [Dealer cost including install $764 plus tax; Costco $628 plus tax] P
When you swap the tires have the wheel alignment checked and get the tech to make it less ‘aggressive’ eg. less sporty, you will sacrifice cornering speed/handling but will gain mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
First, 30,000 miles is a estimate based on government mandated wear tests, not a number determined by actually driving lots of cars on the tire until it wears out. As they say, YMMV.

Second, notwithstanding everything below, NEVER, EVER run a different type of tire on the front than the rear. That's the best way I know the screw up the handling of a car, screw with the traction and stability control and ABS programming, and create the potential for dangerous situations in an emergency. If you're only going to replace 2 tires, stick with the OEM Michelins. Period.

Third, I'm not sure you'll get a consensus. Many drivers have swapped out the OEM runflats for non runflat tires to get a softer ride. Others, especially those who take long trips in their Corvettes, prefer the added security of runflats. And it's indisputable that GM optimized the suspension on the Corvette for the factory runflats. Sidewall flex is part of the overall spring rate of the vehicle, and putting tires with softer sidewalls on changes the spring rate.

Many have swapped to all season tires to get longer tread life or to drive in cold weather. Others of us think compromising traction (handling and braking) on a high performance sports car like the Corvette makes no sense.

If you want to stick with high performance runflats, the OEM PSS 3 are probably the best you'll find. If you want to try a non runflat, the new Michelin Pilot 4s are getting rave reviews.

Michelin makes ultra high performance All Season run flats and non runflats, and claims the all season tires are VERY close in performance to the OEM summer tires, but I'm not sure what the current versions of each are. Some owners have put Continental ultra high performance all seasons on their cars and been very happy.

What will work for you really depends on how you drive, and how you value comfort vs. handling and braking vs. tire life vs. the security of runflats.
meyerweb, from reading reviews on the new PS4S is the newest generation tire and better and same price as the PSS 3 you mentioned

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I had the Continental Extreme A/S non run flats. I recently switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ run flats. My experience is that the Michelins have better grip and ride only marginally harsher than the Continentals. IMHO both tires are vastly superior to the OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
656 Posts
How many miles do you have on the Michelins Henry427?

I've found the Continentals to drive great and have good traction through the life of the tire. The Michelins I had on my Mustang (non RF A/S) only lasted for half of the projected miles, and quickly degraded with only a couple thousand miles of use (lost traction, got noisy, rode harsh).

I'm trying to decide between the Continental and Michelins, and am leaning toward Continentals due to my past experience.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Stingmole, I also have had problems with Michelin's on my TL. That has only 21,000 miles and I've had to replace all 4 of the OEM Michelins at various mileages. Either they started leaking and wouldn't hold pressure with no signs of a hole or leak, or were damaged by road debris with unfixable holes. No issues to speak of on the C7, but I am keeping an open mind for when it comes time to replace.

Paul is a good source of information and knew he really liked his Cons. Good to hear that the Pilot Sport A/S is working out. Hopefully he will get some decent mileage out of them.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
meyerweb, from reading reviews on the new PS4S is the newest generation tire and better and same price as the PSS 3 you mentioned
Yes, except for one thing. It's not available as a runflat. Which rules it out for some people.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Yikes!

Hope your getting an alignment done at the same time.

Reactions: Mack

·
Registered
101 Posts
Paulp, I agree with U.S. Marine, with 4/32 you have some time left. The new tread spec. for the PSS is 9/32. Tire Rack indicates 2/32 for replacement in dry weather conditions. If you store your C7 in winter I would go another 2/32. Safety is always a concern but at the price of these tires, there is no reason not to continue using the tires as long as you understand the factors for your driving situation. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A couple of things to consider.

1) Your tires ARE run flats. I never replace until the cords are showing.... If you get a flat, lose the air that's in em, they can go at 50mph for 50 miles no worries.
2.) You should be running NITROGEN in all your tires all the time. Reduces early tire wear by preventing tire oxydation inside the tires. Mine last 30,000 plus on the rear, a little less on the front due to the scrubbing caused by fast turn ins...
3.) Tire tread is for rain - the tires work better and better in dry conditions without tread
4.) Your dealer is suggesting an early replacement in my opinion - maybe for legal reasons they need to tell you, but I agree 2/32's is more like time to go.
5.) I strongly suggest you consider asking this or perhaps a different dealer, about a wheel and Tire warranty package. Mine costed $837 for 5 years protection against road hazard and wheel damage as long as there are 3/32nds left on the tire, they replace em for free.
6.) Costco IS a good option to get your tires replaced at a lower cost.
7.) Tread Mileage Warranty of 30,000 miles only applies to front tires, not back tires, due to the fact that you can't rotate these tires. Rears they will typically only cover to 15,000 miles. AND, some dealers do not include a treadwear warranty, you NEED to ask about this before you have your tires replaced at the dealer. Burned me once. Costco has an excellent warranty included.

Hope the above is helpful!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any chance that your Corvette comes from the factory with Nitrogen? I have a friend that swears by it on his ATS-V.

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Any chance that your Corvette comes from the factory with Nitrogen? I have a friend that swears by it on his ATS-V.
No, the C7s are not (nor are the Cadillacs) delivered from the factory with Nitrogen in the tires. A number of dealers now do that as part of their prep, others charge to do it, and Costco does it for free. Please note, let's not get this thread sidetracked to the pros and cons of Nitrogen. We have done that already and you can find discussions/posts by using our Search function. Thanks.

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Sorry, but running nitrogen in your tires does NOT prevent oxidation. Only if you could truly replace 100% of the gas in the tires with nitrogen would that work, and even the really good shops, which pull a vacuum from the tire before filling with nitrogen can't get 100% of atmosphere out of the tire. And most shops don't even bother with that.

It takes only a tiny bit of oxygen to start oxidation. And most tires will wear out, either from use or from dry-rot on the OUTSIDE of the tire long before oxidation from the inside is an issue.

Reactions: Mack

·
Registered
84 Posts
Paulp, I agree with Meyerweb, while we were all playing or sleeping, GM engineers where busy testing a variety of tires, so much so that they stopped using Goodyear on Corvettes based on lap times against Michelin. Does this really matter for the everyday corvette enthusiast? Maybe not. And maybe I'm just getting older or wiser or both but anymore I will just run with factory equipment or how the car was delivered to me. I also like the peace of mind of a run flat but again I just don't feel like dealing with a flat tire late at night or on a twisty country road in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I want my tires filled with hydrogen or helium to reduce unsprung weight. Only problem is, when you remove wheels from the car, you have to make sure they don't float away. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts