Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting this new thread to see how many other C7 owners feel ripped-off by Chevrolet for charging us $995 to switch to the transparent top because the standard carbon fiber top is/was on constraint. This happened to me last October and my dealer salesman really though a refund of some kind would be offered. After delivery in late Jan 2015 I started working this issue through the area GM sales rep and after waiting about a month got the reply that the extra charge was because he transparent top was more expensive! Well, I knew that was nonsense and finally got my local Chev dealer to provide pricing for a replacement standard top and it came out at about $4000! This is versus list price of $2100 for the transparent top! So, you can see how Chev is cleaning up on this situation. I have sent a fully documented letter to the Customer Service group and expect another blow-off answer. I really think if we get enough of to complain we will get some attention. I even think a class action law suit might be possible. Anyone else out there feel like I do on this point?

David

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same scenario here!:mad:

·
Administrator
15,229 Posts
Welcome to our forum dewilhite. Regarding top pricing I think your dealer may have not given you the whole explanation. The reason at time of order for the $995 additional charge is to cover the exchange cost of the just a transparent panel over and above the cost of the painted carbon fiber which was included in the base pricing. That price includes all hardware and frame. The cost of the transparent panel is more expensive than the cost of the painted carbon fiber panel (panel for panel, no hardware etc.). That pricing was in place from the very first day you could order a 2014 C7 and well before there was any constraints on any of the panel versions (transparent, painted carbon fiber or exposed carbon fiber). That fact goes against any constraint 'rip-off' theory.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No one forced you to buy the top, you could have waited them out and got the color top. Ultimately it was your choice and I don't agree with seeking a law suit on something you chose to do, we have become such a litigious society that we want others to pay for our choices when they don't work out the way we hoped. I also had to upgrade to the Visible carbon fiber top to get my car built (My Choice, no one forced me). I am spending 70K on a car I just don't see the sense in quibbling about 1k. Just my 2 cents.

Rob

·
18,666 Posts
An option, check the net, including our StingRay parts for sale section, for the top you want. Some folks bought their C7 from the showroom floor, one that had two factory tops, and they do not want, nor need the second one.

And another one, contact Bob Wendorff, Parts Manager at our sponsoring dealer vendor, RimRock, for he discounts genuine GM parts by a large amount.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The transparent top was the only top not on constraint when I ordered my C7. So to move on down the production line I chose to to pay the $995 and get it. I'm so glad I did. It looks great with the blade silver and I love it. If I had to do it over, I would order the transparent top from the start. I'm so glad the tops were on constraint when I ordered.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
A CAL for a parts constraint issue. Bottom line is no one forced you to buy the car and no misrepresentations were made by GM. You are out of luck there just enjoy your beautiful car, being bitter will not change anything.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I too was disappointed, but GM is not ripping anyone off on this issue…and as others have said, you had a choice. They're just caught up in the same world wide shortage of carbon fiber that everyone else is dealing with. Talking legal steps regarding this problem is just silly, IMO.

·
Registered
522 Posts
As disappointed as many were, be happy you were allowed to have an option, unlike many other constraints where there was no alternative. People have waiting for very lengthy periods to get just what they wanted, just as all here could have done, never knowing if they would ever get what they wanted because of the constraints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I originally wanted a painted carbon fiber top on my cyber grey C7. When I ordered my Z51 I was not happy when I was informed that I had to order the transparent top. I am so happy now that I ordered the transparent top. It gives the car a fantastic look and you don't feel as closed in. I'm one happy customer!

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I agree. I thought the one thing I did not want on my car was the transparent roof. Now that I have it, I love it. I also bought the liner that attaches with suction cups for those hot days. I feel I've got the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jsvette:

You must be associated with Chev if you believe the transparent top is more expensive than the standard painted carbon fiber top. I have an actual quote from my local Chev dealer for $4000 for the standard top unpainted and no hardware and the Chev MSRP for the transparent is $2100. Not sure how that equates to transparent being more expensive but maybe you have different facts?

For all the rest of you that feel I am being unreasonable and "it was my choice", I have to say that doesn't in my mind equate to accepting what seems a clear rip-off, WHEN THEY CANNOT DELIVER ALL THE STANDARD TOPS PEOPLE WANT TO BUY. See the difference? I really like my C7 and I actually like the transparent top, but having a $4000 MSRP standard top replaced by a $2100 MSRP top and paying an extra $995 for the privilege is a rip-off pure and simple. Sorry if I have ruffled feathers on this point, but I am just being honest. I love my C7 but I am not dumb either. If I am in the minority, then I guess Chev is doing the right thing as a corporation.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Dude...easy on the attack.

Regardless of parts prices, does a clear top have additional appeal over a "standard" top to those folks who like an open air feel? Yes! It's an upgrade that many are willing to pay $1000 to experience. Marketing 101.

I remember when Porsche 1st offered an RS package on the 911 in the US. It was a seriously de-contented car versus the fully optioned, leather lined "standard" version. It even used seatbelt material as a door pull, rather than actual door handles. Pretty sure 6" of seat belt material cost less than the comparable door handle assembly. In the 1st year, the RS package actually provided a discount. Folks went nuts over this street legal race car & Porsche sold out. Many dealers got over list!

The next time the RS package became available, it was an upcharge. Again, marketing 101. If people see the RS as something special, they will pay more even if it costs less to build.

As for you being "forced" to buy a clear top....

Well, no one NEEDS a Corvette. Many of us got the standard top. If GM were looking to kick us where the sun don't shine, they clear top and its upcharge would be our only choice.

Enjoy your car & enjoy that you can afford a Corvette. Not everyone can.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I doubt that Chevy is making enough extra money by "forcing" people to buy the clear top to amount to even a rounding error on the bottom line, so I think it highly unlikely they're deliberately forcing people into the clear top as a money grab. More likely scenarios are that they underestimated demand for the painted top, and overestimated demand for the transparent top, and their supplier couldn't get them the carbon tops in time to meet current production runs. Or, possibly, that there really is a shortage of the material necessary for the carbon tops, and they simply can't get the raw materials.

I think it may be fair to complain about Chevy's inability to manage it's procurement process, but not about their motivation for doing so.

·
Registered
531 Posts
At least you would think GM would give you a discount on a painted roof that you could not get.

·
18,666 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One member, for his attacking post above, has already been given a written warning.

This is the friendly Corvette forum, and as per our forum rules and guidelines, all posts SHALL be respectful and polite.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/introductions-site-help/894-stingrayforums-com-rules-guidelines.html
I have apologized for my disrespectful reply and I understand that should have been a private message instead. Some of us are not that experienced in all this. Anyway, I respectfully ask any of you that can respond with specific information to support the claim I have in writing from Chev that the transparent top is $995 more expensive than the standard carbon fiber top. That is the crux of this situation in my mind and the only data point I have is a quote in writing from my local Chev dealer that a non-painted replacement standard top with headliner and no hardware is about $4000. Now if the $995 up-charge for the transparent top is caused by "extra cost" then the standard top should have an MSRP of about $1100 since the Chev site shows $2100 as MSRP for an add-on transparent top, right? Pretty simple math. Now for all of you that don't care about this, that is totally fine for me. I just feel that this is not correct and, and as I have requested twice to Chev, at the very least a person who has an order hung in limbo because the standard top is on constraint should be able to switch to the transparent top that is in plentiful supply at no extra cost. How unreasonable is that? Again, sorry, I am not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone, just asking a pretty simple question to a group that should have some excellent insight into things Corvette. I sent a very comprehensive request on this issue to the Chev customer support center about two weeks ago and will post whatever I hear back from them on this site whenever it comes back if I can.

·
Registered
995 Posts
dewilhite, it is not a question of the cost to GM. If you wanted to order your C7 with the transparent top INSTEAD of the standard top, it would cost you $995 for that option. That is what GM has decided to charge for the CC3 (transparent roof option). This is what they charge on top of the base MSRP that includes the standard roof. Due to the constraints, you CHOSE to order your car with the transparent top. So, it cost you $995 more to do that, just like any body else that ordered the transparent top. Why would it be fair to not charge you $995 for the transparent top option when anyone else who orders that option is charged $995 more?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts