Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think everyone on this forum will agree that the C7 is a big step forward for Corvette being the only true sports car made in America. I am interesting in reading posts from owners of the C7 that have driven other sports cars from around the world and how they feel the C7 compares. The most enjoyable car I have driven occurred two years ago behind the wheel of a Ferrari F430. Unbelievable car and nothing else is like it. Of course, hard to compare a rear engine Ferrari to a front engine Corvette but it did spark my interest to compare the numbers. Honestly, the C7 is the closest I have come to the enjoyment of the F430, and honestly it is better in so many ways being a new car. So consider the specs:

Ferrari 0-60 3.8 C7 3.8
Ferrari slalom 68.9 C7 72.8
Ferrari Breaking 60-0 109 ft. C7 93 ft
Ferrari 1/4 mile 12.48 seconds C7 12 seconds

I know different conditions result in slightly different numbers but I was surprised to find that the C7 appears to best the F430. Pretty impressive. Please share you stories of other cars driven compared to the C7.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have had the privilege of owning or spending extended seat time in many exotics including all the latest models of Ferrari's and Lamborghini Gallardo's. I currently own a Lotus Evora and a Porsche 911 Cabriolet as well as the new Stingray. Over the last 10 years Ferrari has made the biggest margin of improvements from the 360 Modena to the current 458 Italia. But the range of Ferrari changes pales to the vast improvements made by the 2014 Stingray. I think the Corvette designers had to work hard just trying to keep some vestige of the old Corvette image because it is an entirely all new car. It has none of the faults or glaring problems of the old Corvette's.

Now this is simply my subjective and personal opinion according to how I use my cars, which is for daily driving and on public roads, never on the track, although I have had many hours in other cars on the track.

First, there is no substitution of the feeling and aura of a true exotic car. They just feel, sound, and drive like they are special because they are. A true exotic is a rare car with just a few thousand produced in the world. However with rarity comes attention, sometimes unwanted notoriety. When living in a metropolitan area you have to seriously consider if you should drive your exotic car and expose it to risks. There is Attention Anxiety created and sometimes this is an undesirable emotion. Then there is Depreciation Anxiety. Exotics depreciate in value just like any other car, but a 10% annual loss in depreciation for a $200,000 car is $20,000, where that same 10% of a $60,000 Corvette is only $6,000. Repeat that same logic for repairs. So to enter the realm of exotics, you must be willing and capable to play at the high stakes tables.

Here's the beauty of the new Corvette. You can delve in the sphere of the exotics with the looks, performance and style but without the anxieties associated with exotics. Sure, soon within a year there will be 20,000 Corvette's on the streets and the exclusivity will be compromised, but it will still be a special car and from the driver's seat it will not be minimized.

Compared with my current cars, the Lotus and 911, the Evora feels like skiing with short skis on powdered snow. The C7 feels like a snowboard on powder and the 911 drives like a bobsled on packed snow. They are all different experiences but all gratifying just as the designers had intended. These are not differences to be complained about but to be enjoyed.

To all Stingray owners, enjoy your everyday exotic. Corvette has found the sweet spot to blend style, performance and panache into an affordable package.

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
Having owned and driven a wide array of sports cars over the years I find RedHot is the overall most enjoyable, most capable by a good margin. All of it is strictly based on my 'seat of the pants' perception (with the possible exception of things like 0-60 times and stopping distances) but I have attempted to drive the same roads and curves (for example, Death Valley both through the mountain curves and twisties and down on the valley floor straight-aways) and and find that I am driving RedHot faster with more confidence than for example my Porsche. For me in terms of my capabilities/skill level, what I want from my cars and pure enjoyment, the C7 is the exemplary sports car package. The icing on the cake so to speak is its stunning design, awesome sound and fit and finish- a looker like none I have owned.:cool:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Agree 100% with what you said Rfong except:

"Here's the beauty of the new Corvette. You can delve in the sphere of the exotics with the looks, performance and style but without the anxieties associated with exotics. Sure, soon within a year there will be 20,000 Corvette's on the streets and the exclusivity will be compromised"

20,000 cars really is nothing when spread around the world even just within the US. GM has build way over 1 million Corvettes to date and even today I only see a few each day on the road in the good weather. When you narrow it down to just the new C7 model I believe it will be some time before many of us see these cars that often on the open road. Agree no way limited like an true exotic car which you hardly see but the C7 in my opinion brings that exotic look that previous gens didn't have and will attract attention for quite sometime.

·
18,670 Posts
Isn't it wonderfully amazing that we are comparing our Corvette to the best? Comparing a $58k (all performance components included) to cars two to five times more, and we (including the car industry media) are repeatedly raving about the StingRay. Look at how many Car of The Year awards the 2014 Corvette has already gotten.

I remember Rfong's comments, made on his 3,000 mile drive home from picking it up, "My trust in the car increased by leaps and bounds. What started as a smooth suspension was verified going over those cobblestones. This car handles and rides as well as my 2011 Lotus Evora. Furthermore, the steering effort and feedback is superior to my 2013 Porsche 911 Cab. The C7 steering is lighter to the touch and it absorbs the thuds in the road but still allows you to be in total control."

And so many similar comments from those on this forum who one after owning exotics (such as some above),... WOW!

When those of us Corvette crazies heard Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter say at the 1.13.13 Reveal, that this was a totally new Corvette, improved in every aspect, "that the first time you get behind the wheel, you are going to know that Corvettes have changed forever," us believers in the audience said to ourselves, "great; it is much, much improved, but it can't be that everything's fixed, there is still a little just plain salesmanship coming our way". Well, we were plain WRONG, for the car it everything it was promised to be and more. Yes, we have had some rollout issues, but those are improving too.

The C7 2014 Corvette StingRay is now comparable to the great sports cars on the track (in fact, beating the majority handily as edmunds.com proved), it a beautiful head-turner, has a wonderful, classy interior, has great technological advances which equal or beat similar systems in the exotics, and so much more.

Fantastic job Tadge and Entire C7 Team!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow! Thank you, guys, for such wonderful posts. Every time I have a chance to hide away from my wife :)-)), I come to this forum and keep clicking on different links to see pictures and posts of the new C7 owners.
I hope this is not the sign of an addiction. Boy, am I thrilled that I ordered the car (Arctic White, Red Interior, Z51 3LT, Performance Exhaust, MRC and transparent top)! It has been almost four months since I ordered the car from a small dealer, now finally I am in 3000+ number. I must say this site is a bitter-sweet situation for me. While I enjoy very much the posts, I feel myself becoming more impatient every time I read them.

Now my humble history about exotic cars-- Because I grew up in a poor country where corrupt politicians and the people that make up the upper class had a love affair with Lamborghini, needless to say my taste for exotic cars was undoubtedly influenced by what I was exposed to, and therefore, I had always thought if I should ever become successful (rich) in this country, I would buy myself a Lambo. For many months, I had a picture of a Lamborghini as a background on my desktop.
Yes, I have owned an E55 AMG, I have test-driven a 911, but never a corvette. This past summer, I went to one of those dream-car-test drives, and spent $100.00 to drive a Lamborghini, I must say I was very disappointed, not by the car, but by the whole experience. I came out feeling cheated. You barely spend five minutes in the car. By the time you learn how to drive it and get yourself familiar with the zigzag course, which was set in a big parking lot, your time was up. What a scam, I said to myself, and never again!

Now finally, I took the plunge and ordered the C7, and by the posts that I have read here today, it seems the dream of owning an exotic car like a Lamborghini will be close to concretization. So stay tuned, I will let you know.

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
Great story info08search! You will certainly enjoy your C7 when you get it.:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am enjoying reading all of your comments about comparing the new C7 to a host of other cars. Like most of you I've owned a wide variety of cars ranging from nearly every Porsche made, to several M5's, an E55, a S6 and at least one of every generation of Corvette. Also a Ferrari, several Jaguars and many others.

I think the problem is one of perception. Sure I could go out and buy a new Porsche cabriolet and spend at least 50% more than I spent on the Corvette. And many of those who have more money than car sense would cheer. But in the case of the new C7, somehow GM has managed to build a $140,000 car for $75,000.

And that makes me very happy!

:) ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1387984465.057660.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have have enjoyed driving multiple exotics including Audi R8, Lambo, Ferrari Itialia, Jag XKRS, GT3... Then I ordered the C7. It's been in my garage for two months and I simply LOVE IT! So much fun to drive. I never thought it would truly compare, but I just have to say in so many ways it DOES! All supercars are a bit troublesome to consider as a daily driver except perhaps the R8. This car slots in beautifully between the R8 and Ferrari IMO. It's got the sleeping power and growl you'll love like the R8 with cat like reflexes of the Itallia, but it's cost is half and is actually dependable! The engine bay is surprisingly simple and clean. The interior build quality is much like an Audi; very tight, and well tailored. The negatives- As with any sports car of this caliber, there is a bit of road noise from the wide tires. When they warm up, it gets quieter. The MyLink system is a significant disappointment compared to what was promised. It is NOT currently open forum to add apps from your smartphone. It's got a cheesy look compared to the stunning center console. GM apparently locked out many apps from the higher end cars to promote the cheap line SPARK EV etc. Hopefully, once the glow is off, they'll open the apps up to all and we can enjoy too. For now, you're stuck with a bunch of subscriber based junk. I know at some point there will be hacks and adds for C7 owners to enjoy, it's just a matter of time, so that's the upside.

Conclusion: DON'T MISS THE OP TO DRIVE AND BUY ONE OF THESE CARS. Pure FUN, reliable, and great price/value that's untouchable by any of the big supercars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am selling my 05 SL55 AMG to get the new C7. I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to drive the new Vette for a couple of hours and without that time behind the wheel, I don't think I would have parted with the SL 55 AMG. Honestly, the SL is a more comfortable refined car and it has the power to go. But, being behind the wheel of the C7 was enough to part with my SL. Wish I could keep both as I will miss that car. It was so refined in so many ways. I guess time will tell after I take delivery of the C7 if I made the right decision. Still have a 99 Porsche 911 which I love as well but the 300 HP performance is starting to show it's age. Nothing feels like a Porsche and it will be interesting to spend time in both cars as they are so different in their approach but at the same time both so good at what they do. I'm just glad to see that the C7 is being compared to cars like this and I believe it will prove to be in consideration for traditional MB and Porsche buyers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,
New to the forum and so far I really enjoy al the info and advise. I have driven many different sports cars over the years and in 2008 I bought my first Corvette a 3LS Z06 in Cyber Gray after comparing and driving a GTR, Audi R8 and a nice Jag. I choose the Z06 because first it was American and second the bang for the buck was much better than the cars I had test driven and anything better was in the 250K range. I kept that car until I traded up to a 2011 3ZR ZR1 in Supersonic Blue metallic which I still have today and only has 4700 miles on it. I went to the Spring Mountain Ron Fellows driving school outside of Vegas to experience what this car was capable of and while I was there I had a chance to drive a couple of other exotics. Well what I learned is the vette is a much better buy for overall value and performance than many of those vehicles which were 2 and 3 times as expensive. Yeah the C6 has some issues, seats that suck, my CTS-V has Recaro seats in it that should be in a vette, and some other faults, but you can't buy a sports car with that kind of performance for anything close to the price of a vette. So basically I knew the C7 was going to be a drastic change over the C6 from all the hype and spy info that leaked and I can tell you that I am happy as a lark with mine. Probably one of the most impressive performance aspects I have noticed is the throttle response from the direct injection...just frigging awesome. I mean it can't compete against my ZR1, but wow you feel it instantly where there is just a bit of lag from the C6. I can tell you that I am absolutely enthralled with my C7 and I'm looking forward to owning a Z07 or what ever comes out next. Long live American muscle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts