Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - so here's what I don't understand....maybe somebody can clear this up. The C7 Z06 with the Z07 package is truly a "track car". Now that there is a convertible version (of which I already moved my deposit from the coupe to the vert), how does GM get around the roll-bar issue? From my experience, in driving my current Z06 on the large So Cal tracks, verts aren't allowed unless they have roll-bars. Does this mean that the C7 Z06 Vert won't be allowed on the track (like Chuckwalla, Fontana Speedway, WillowSprings, The Street, Buttonwillow, etc)?

I have heard from other members that GM is focusing their efforts on the Z06 Vert to be sold to people who want a super-powerful car and a convertible, but don't intend to track the vehicle. That isn't me....I am itching for the power, and the open-air experience, but there's no point in me purchasing the Vert if I can't track the car.

somebody must have thought about either a factory installed or after-market roll-bar set-up for people like me.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you want to track the car why get a vert? It will handle worse on top of the issue you have already raised.

I'm guessing on most tracks you'd need to have an aftermarket roll cage installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I LOVE the open-air feeling of a convertible. I track the car for fun, not for serious racing, so the weight and handling I will lose with the vert doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the fact that there may not be a factory-installed or after-market roll-bar for the vert, which would then force me to replace my current C6 Z06 with the C7 Z06 coupe.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
No weight penalty according to the blurb published yesterday but there has to be some reduction in torsional rigidity but I'm sure it's minor and won't detract from a weekend warrior's enjoyment.

As for the roll bar, yes, you will need one for high speed track time. It's early yet so we don't know all the accessories GM has in the works but if this is truly touted as a track car they need to have a factory roll bar accessory available at some point. I'm sure there will be aftermarket options but for this application I would prefer something designed by GM.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
No weight penalty according to the blurb published yesterday but there has to be some reduction in torsional rigidity but I'm sure it's minor and won't detract from a weekend warrior's enjoyment.
"The C7 Convertible exhibits some 60 percent greater torsional rigidity than the car it replaces. Sure, the coupe gains another 20 percent when its top is in place, proving with certainty that carbon fiber is a better structural material than thin air."

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible First Drive on Edmunds.com

Later in the Edmund's article, we find this:

"Chevy acknowledges that the convertible Stingray's place probably isn't on the track. In addition to the obvious safety concerns, its lack of ducts on the rear fenders means there's less flow over the differential and transmission fluid heat exchangers, which can (in extreme track conditions) result in a transmission temperature warning, according to Juechter."

"Most organizers won't allow a convertible on the track anyway," he says.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
"The C7 Convertible exhibits some 60 percent greater torsional rigidity than the car it replaces. Sure, the coupe gains another 20 percent when its top is in place, proving with certainty that carbon fiber is a better structural material than thin air."

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible First Drive on Edmunds.com

Later in the Edmund's article, we find this:

"Chevy acknowledges that the convertible Stingray's place probably isn't on the track. In addition to the obvious safety concerns, its lack of ducts on the rear fenders means there's less flow over the differential and transmission fluid heat exchangers, which can (in extreme track conditions) result in a transmission temperature warning, according to Juechter."

"Most organizers won't allow a convertible on the track anyway," he says.
Yes, 60% higher than the Convertible it replaces. In the Z06 application the vert will not be as stiff as the coupe with the targa removed and certainly not as much as the coupe with the targa top in place so for ultimate performance the couple with the top on is king, no one denies that, including the OP.

The same track issue was brought up about the Boxster a decade ago. Now there is a race series exclusive to the Boxster. Car makers will do whatever is in demand. The fact they built a Z06 vert means the market exists and if enough of those buyers want to track the car on the weekends in HPDE's and the like then a savvy business person will seize the opportunity and make the safety equipment necessary. It's business 101.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The same track issue was brought up about the Boxster a decade ago. Now there is a race series exclusive to the Boxster.
Yes, but the Boxster was designed to accomodate a removable hardtop, and thus has hard mounts that can also accomodate a roll bar.

Chevy hasn't offered a factory hardtop (with the corresponding structural mounting locations) since the C4. There are aftermarket offerings (for C5 and C6, including an interesting C6 retractable hardtop http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=1053&aid=51), but I would question their structural integrity for a roll-over situation.

Chevy should re-think the hardtop option for future Corvette versions, since owning a Corvette convertible with the optional hardtop is like owning 3 cars in 1.

Reactions: mjw930

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
A hardtop option would be both cool and retro at the same time, I like the idea.

My money is on there being hard points available for a roll bar already built into the design, we just haven't had them pointed out since they are covered with trim and body panels. A factory roll bar with the proper replacement panels to give it that OEM look seems like a no brainer.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Personally, I would go with the coupe if one is going to track the car.
Remember...the coupe has a removable roof, which makes it the perfect blend of fixed/convert. all in one car!!!

·
18,670 Posts
Not buying GM's statement that the convertible Z06 track performance will equal the coupe. Going back to last year, we first heard that there was no weight penalty going from the StingRay coupe to convertible, yet when the scales came out, as noted above, we ended up with a 64 pound weight gain. We just heard that there are no differences structurally between the Z06 coupe and the Z06 convertible, and thus, I believe the convertible will again weigh 64 pounds more in the Z06 than the coupe. Additionally when you track the Z06 coupe with its top locked in place (duh), your car is more rigid then with the top off, i.e., GM just re-stated that the Z06 coupe is 60% more rigid than the previous generation with its top on, yet only 20% more rigid with its top removed, confirming as posted above, that the coupe will be a more rigid, and therefore better handling, track car. Tadge Juechter stated last year that the front windshield header sufficiently meets all rollover standards that they will not be bringing out a rollbar for the StingRay convertible. I doubt they are going to bring out a rollbar for the Z06 convertible because that will necessitate structural changes e.g. hard attachment points. However at the Bash next week, I'm sure the question will be asked and answered.

For those who are just going to the track to have a wonderful track experience, not to hard-core race, I am sure that the Z06 convertible will be a thrilling, exciting, highly capable track car. Will it be as great as Z06 coupe on the track? Obviously not. Will those of us who occasionally go to the track care? No. Will the hard-core track racers care? Absolutely, and might they be prohibited from running at many tracks without a rollbar? Yes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Buy the coupe. Get the clear roof. When it's off with the windows down it feels a lot like a convertible and even when it's on you'll the get the sun shine. And you won't have any issues (safety or performance) at the track.

The targa top really makes this a no brainer.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can throw all the HP you want into a car, doesn't mean it will handle or use that power. The GT500 can't even put its power down properly as it is now.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
You can throw all the HP you want into a car, doesn't mean it will handle or use that power. The GT500 can't even put its power down properly as it is now.
Don't feed the trolls.....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Clarified at the Bash, by talking with Chief Designer Kirk Bennion, that GM has no plans to develop an optional roll bar for the Z06 convertible.
And they don't need to plenty of after market companies that can make you a custom one. Besides even if GM did how many people are really going to add one, market would be very small.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone know of any company currently producing a roll bar or roll cage for a 2015 Z06?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't speak for other tracks around the country, but both Sebring and Miami-Homestead allow verts.........you just have to sign an additional waiver....... been on both tracks and you have to wear a helmet (of course) and keep the top up:

Sebring Raceway

Legendary Sebring is America's most historic road course, and is 'home track' for Chin Motorsports.
We are the #1 provider of track events here, with more Sebring dates than any other club.

•Hotels:
◦Chateau Elan at Sebring (overlooking the track)
◦Holiday Inn Express, Hwy 27N, about 20 minutes

•Track location: http://www.sebringraceway.com/directions.lasso
•Noise Restrictions: NONE
•Track Website: Sebring International Raceway - Home
•Convertible criteria: Convertibles may be driven in OE configuration.
No modification needed.

Homestead-Miami Speedway

America's southernmost race track is one of the best combination road-course/oval laps in the country.
This NASCAR track has outstanding facilities and excellent track conditions.

•Recommended Hotel: Home2 Suites by Hilton
•Track location: Inbound Traffic - Homestead-Miami Speedway
•Noise restrictions: NONE
•Track Website: Homestead-Miami Speedway - Homestead-Miami Speedway
•Convertible criteria: Convertibles may be driven in OE configuration.
No modification needed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts