Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Stingray Community Fam,

At 3:51 am central, my 2015 z51 was broken into by the driver side window and a (suspected professional) thief got into the vehicle and unlatched the 3 locks to remove the transparent hard top and took off running with it into an alleyway. This all happened in a span of 30 seconds and some footage on a nest camera caught the action. The perpetrator was unable to be focused on.

Has this happened to anyone and is there any way to prevent this?

Attachments

·
18,667 Posts
We are all so sorry that happened to your Corvette. Sorry, am unaware of any way to prevent the same thing being done to all of ours. I hope when you window was broken, the glass did not damage your door paint or any part of your interior.

·
Administrator
15,034 Posts
Sorry to read this rnathani91. Unfortunately, there really isn't any effective means to prevent that type of smash and run except to park in a closed garage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would check the forums and craigslist for someone selling a top as the thief is likely trying to unload it somewhere.

If you are in a situation where your car sits outside and can be subject to repeated acts then you should look at how to secure.

I immediately thought what would I do and an idea that came to my mind is I tried in my car a way to thread a tie through the rear top latch to see if I could release it and I couldn’t.

So I then thought of the pad locks with the cut proof wire to lock the top down so it would definitely slow the thief down and prevent him from a quick smash and grab.

Just an idea and sorry for your misfortune and lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did the car alarms go off? Thanks

The intrusion sensor monitors the vehicle interior, and can activate the alarm if it senses unauthorized entry into the vehicle’s interior

·
Registered
420 Posts
Another solution is to buy one of the devices that people can carry on their key ring as a tracker device. So when someone loses their keys, they can go online and see where the keys are on a geographical map.

One option I know is called the Tile Square which can be used for items such as keys.

For example, take the tile device and slip it under the headliner so if something like this ever happened again you can track the whereabouts of your top online and it works the same way as the Find my iPhone option on those who have iPhones.

Tile.JPG

·
Administrator
15,034 Posts
The tile is an interesting suggestion. However, it requires you or someone on the tile network to be close enough to pick up the Bluetooth signal. It isn't like some gps tracking devices that could be found as long as there is satellite reception.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is limited range but per their website, there's also an online community that I can presume could assist but that would be depended on the number of users. So like you said, just an interesting consideration to a problem and if it became a larger problem I'm sure some type of GPS tracking solution could be developed if there was a need.

The website for Tile reads:
To find anything you put a Tile on, just open the app. Ring it if it's nearby. Check the map for its last known location. Or ask the Tile community to help you find it.

The tile is an interesting suggestion. However, it requires you or someone on the tile network to be close enough to pick up the Bluetooth signal. It isn't like some gps tracking devices that could be found as long as there is satellite reception.

·
Administrator
15,034 Posts
There is limited range but per their website, there's also an online community that I can presume could assist but that would be depended on the number of users. So like you said, just an interesting consideration to a problem and if it became a larger problem I'm sure some type of GPS tracking solution could be developed if there was a need.

The website for Tile reads:
To find anything you put a Tile on, just open the app. Ring it if it's nearby. Check the map for its last known location. Or ask the Tile community to help you find it.
Correct. I was just pointing out the it is not a gps device where you can virtually always locate the tracker. I use Tile (along with another device) to keep track of all of my camera equipment. But for Tile to work, it will depend on someone who is a Tile community participant being near to the specific location of the stolen item, to find it. Otherwise, you may or may not get a last known location for the tile that has very little to do with where the actual current location of the stolen item. Tile can certainly be a viable solution especially if you live in a city, no so much in a rural area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The alarm went off briefly as he broke through the glass and during the whole process of top removal and 15 seconds after he ran off. I’m assuming because he didn’t open the door. I think he was able to reach to all the latches and the car thought it was no entry.

Thanks for the suggestions as I might explore both lock and tile option.

Does that lock cable come in red? 😄

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorry to hear about your break in rnathani91. Normally my Z51 is parked in my locked garage every night, but I do also have a C4 that is spending it's life outdoors. For that, I have a non-descript car cover that can be locked keeping prying eyes off. It does sound like someone that just wanted the top for resale knowing they can pull in around $1k for the transparent top on the open market. The tracking ideas above have merit, but if you can prevent the attempt by concealing it, that's gonna save you some money replacing a side window.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am not sure what colors but I just googled Wired Pad locks to show the concept that I was suggesting. You can always paint and clear coat if you find a lock that is easily taped off where you can spray paint or if brush paint.

They might still break the window but won't spend the time trying to figure out how to get the lock off so they will flee and then you just have the broken window.

I just try not go to places at night where I don't think I can park in high traffic area and/or parking structure but I have other options to drive.

The alarm went off briefly as he broke through the glass and during the whole process of top removal and 15 seconds after he ran off. I’m assuming because he didn’t open the door. I think he was able to reach to all the latches and the car thought it was no entry.

Thanks for the suggestions as I might explore both lock and tile option.

Does that lock cable come in red? ��

·
Registered
836 Posts
Out of curiosity, does GM stamp or mark the car's serial number on the tops that originally come with a car like they used to with C4s? That would be helpful although I admit I have never checked mine for a serial number. Anyone know? --Bob

·
Registered
420 Posts
I bought a used Carbon Fiber top that didn't have a headliner and I know that it had a barcode sticker and I believe serial number that you wouldn't see unless you removed the headliner but I don't know if that's standard.

Out of curiosity, does GM stamp or mark the car's serial number on the tops that originally come with a car like they used to with C4s? That would be helpful although I admit I have never checked mine for a serial number. Anyone know? --Bob

·
Registered
368 Posts
That is just sickening. I hope your insurance gets your car put back together in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
He got in thru the broken window and without opening the door stole the transparent roof in 30 seconds. The window came out in a single piece? Doesn't appear to be any damage to the car. The "nest" photo doesn't show the C7 alarm lights, just reflectors.

This guy has perfected this operation. Betcha he had some way to practice it a few times on a C7 with the window open before he pulled it off. Very specialized. Unique to the C7.

Assume the cops were called. What did they say? Any other similar reports in the Dallas area?

Sounds like "Vicky Vette" was raped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your top being stolen. I also have a 2015 Z51 3LT A8 and have not even given thought to the top being stolen. Now I am going to try to find a deterrent for that happening to mine when away from home. The tracking tag may be an answer but as someone mentioned it would be limited to RF coverage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm confused by the window sitting outside of the car in basically one piece. Was it somehow cut along the bottom near top edge of door and pulled out ?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'm confused by the window sitting outside of the car in basically one piece. Was it somehow cut along the bottom near top edge of door and pulled out ?
Yea. Pretty confusing incident. If the window was cut at that point, how is it there are no scratches, damage or debris at the top edge of the door?

Accomplishing that feat with no apparent damage to the car in 30 seconds would qualify the thief for first place in a TV competition reality show.

I would have certainly called the cops.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts