Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Whoever did it, this car definitely wasn't his first. You can see the edge of the window tinting on at least 2 sides of the glass. So at least those two sides were undisturbed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
At 2:15am central today there was another attempt. They broke the window but this time did not get away with the top. This is a serious problem since they know where I live. Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 3.34.46 AM.png IMG_5271.jpg

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What stopped him this time? Did you have a lock on the roof panel? Is he cutting out the side window?

Hopefully the security camera will help catch this low life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
In the video he broke the window with a glass breaker tool but I believe the tint I have makes it so it stays in one piece.

Alarm did not go off during this time

He reached in and (not sure what he touched) alarms went off. He continued for about 5 seconds and then gave up and ran behind that alley.

Lewisville PD showed up real quick after we found out what happened about 10 mins later.

Off to go get a lock for the roof panel so future low life’s would leave empty again.

Now just need a way to get them to stop breaking the window.

Any ideas?

Fire after the alarm going off would be ideal. Something more practical I can make or buy.

Thank you for being here with me in this moment Stingray fam

·
Registered
867 Posts
In the video he broke the window with a glass breaker tool but I believe the tint I have makes it so it stays in one piece.

He reached in and (not sure what he touched) alarms went off. He continued for about 5 seconds and then gave up and ran behind that alley.

Lewisville PD showed up real quick after we found out what happened about 10 mins later.

Off to go get a lock for the roof panel so future low life’s would leave empty again.

Any ideas?

Fire after the alarm going off would be ideal. Something more practical I can make or buy.

My first suggestion would be a double barrel shotgun from your patio looking down towards the car. Unfortunately you will probably damage your own car so that is out.
Honestly they will be back . There is a market for the product and they know where one is, yours, and they know how to get it. Every time you replace it they will come back. Seen a lot with home burglaries where high end electronic are taken. Crooks knows you will replace the stuff with new and they come back after a few weeks or months and hit it again.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Dam sorry to see this happen again... how about a motion sensor alarm you can mount to the fence that will go off with sirens and lights, even a wifi mounted camera might help.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Get a tracking device and install it under the trim on the top. Let them steal it. Then you can find out where THEY live. Send the police after it. Put them in jail.

·
Registered
836 Posts
A couple of large bear traps tethered to the car?--Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Out of curiosity, does GM stamp or mark the car's serial number on the tops that originally come with a car like they used to with C4s? That would be helpful although I admit I have never checked mine for a serial number. Anyone know? --Bob
I used one of those vibrating marking pen things to put the serial number on the top of my c-5. Put on the back so its not visible unless it is off the car. I traded the top for a replacement when it cracked. So someone out there has that one used as the frame for a replacement. And I don't have the c-5 anymore. Will try to figure a way to lock this top on.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Any ideas?

Yeah, fire is not a great option. Short of having her garaged at night, my suggestion would be a motion sensor that sets off a very bright set of lights that hopefully won't blind any neighbors but shine directly on your C7. That and maybe something as simple as a sign that says the area is under 24 hour video surveillance. You could also just try a car cover that hides your C7 and most decent ones come with locks for the cover. Anything that someone not stalking you would be dissuaded from going through too much trouble to get at your roof.

I know from experience that nobody would try to do this with my C4 because even the crooks know how long it takes to remove that roof. This is someone with experience and contacts knowing how easy it is with the 3 levers and how expensive they are on the open market. Sad part is someone will still buy it knowing/suspecting that it is hot. They guys selling these could even have them on ebay and craigslist. Reminds me of the explosion of break ins where they were stealing air bags and the roof is a piece of cake compared to removing a steering wheel air bag.

Let us know what you select as a final solution.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts