Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corvette sales are now accounting for over 40% of the new sports car purchaser market, even though that included cars, such as the Mazda Miata, that cost a lot less.

CorvetteBlogger said:
The Corvette Stingray has been a great story for Chevrolet, winning an unprecedented number of awards including being named the 2014 North American Car of the Year. But the Stingray is also beating its rivals where it counts – the dealership sales floors.

Corvette sales have been on roll since production began last August. In the calendar year of 2014, Chevrolet has sold 17,744 Corvette Stingray coupes and convertibles, far outpacing the annual calendar year sales of the C6 Corvette during its final years of production.

GM Authority noted a report by the National Automobile Dealers Association showing the Stingray has far and away exceeded the sales of several rivals.

Where the Corvette Stingray had 17,744 deliveries through June, Porsche sold 5,169 911s and sales of the SRT Viper have tanked to a meager 354. Nissan’s 370Z which is far less expensive (MRSP $29,990) than the Stingray managed sales of 4,114.

The Stingray vs Viper comparison isn’t quite fair with the cross-town rival from Dodge boasting an 8.4L V10 engine and an MSRP greater than $100,000. The Porsche 911 seems to be a more natural competitor to the Stingray, but the cost to play in one starts at $84,300 compared to the Stingray’s starting MSRP of $53,995.

The NADA also notes that the situation for Corvette’s rivals won’t be getting better anytime soon. Chevrolet will start production of the the 2015 Corvette Stingray with a new 8-speed automatic transmission in August and in early 2015, the 650-hp 2015 Corvette Z06 will hit the streets and is guaranteed to keep the spotlight focused on America’s favorite sports car.
Source:
National Automobile Dealers Association via GM Authority

The Corvette Stingray Wins Again, Beating Rivals Where it Counts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
John, I think the last sentence should read, "The world's favorite sports car"!!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Based on VIN numbers posted on another tracking site it looks like around 35,000+ could be produced for 2014 model year.

32540 VIN posted today, about 17 days left @ 180 / day = 3060 more could be built

Reactions: STUNG

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Not sure how a Mazda Miata is in the same class relatively speaking.

Reactions: STUNG

·
Registered
392 Posts
Let's just hope some of those C7's being sold don't end up in the possession of those "Corvette Snobs" that give the rest of us a bad name.

·
Registered
755 Posts
"SAY WHAT" Z51Stingray? :p haha!!! I think that most of the purchases are by previous owners and all will be well. I do like the fact that a lot of first time owners have also been drawn in to the fold. I also think that at least 90% of the cars built are sold. Other than the big boys like Kerbeck and McMulkin and Hendrick etc etc not very many dealers have stock to play with and if they do, they are probably base cars.
Mind you, all of this is suposition on my part.

STUNG :cool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Very true in most cases.

However, here in Iowa, some dealers are getting C7's just for stock and to get people in the door.

I've ran into a few "Corvette Snobs". You know the ones... those who think the C7 isn't a real Corvette since the taillights aren't round.

The taillight thing, I dowse that when I bring up the fact the C4 didn't have round taillights and the ZR1 of the same generation had square ones.

Shuts them right up.

I've always loved Corvettes. I always thought they were poetry in form and motion. Except for the rear end.

I've always thought the rear end wasn't given any thought and just slapped on. I thought the round taillights were tired 35 years ago.

I'm happy for the rear end cuz it finally matches the beauty and attitude of the rest of the car.

That's just my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts