Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What if GM's July 18th "Reveal of the C8" is actually a "Body Style" unrelated to the "Current Camouflaged Versions" and "Computer Renditions" everyone is "drooling over'! That would be amazing and a "First in Teaser Advertising", catching the public completely by surprise. History dictates that GM has had several Mid Engined Designs in the past and has thrown a few "curve balls" to the public! With 13 days left until the "Official C8 Reveal", I'm personally waiting with "Bated Breath:subdued:

6b1d50da0a8210ec0848d9237008a469.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
I like to think about things that are somewhat in my control. A press announcement about a car I'm not going to buy for at least a year, if at all, isn't one of them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
What if GM's July 18th "Reveal of the C8" is actually a "Body Style" unrelated to the "Current Camouflaged Versions" and "Computer Renditions" everyone is "drooling over'! That would be amazing and a "First in Teaser Advertising", catching the public completely by surprise. History dictates that GM has had several Mid Engined Designs in the past and has thrown a few "curve balls" to the public! With 13 days left until the "Official C8 Reveal", I'm personally waiting with "Bated Breath:subdued:

View attachment 271270
Such as what?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

View attachment 271270
If it looks like your pic above, I'd be really impressed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was surprised to see yesterday’s suspected leak photo of the rear looked so much like the early rendering. If “they” could “guess” and get the rear so correct I am expecting their use of the same guessing technique will reveal an actual car like their rendering of the car.

Rendering of rear
rendering rear.PNG

Yesterday’s leak photo of the rear
Rear from JUN8.PNG
Is it real or is it Memorex?

Rendering of the vehicle
rendering car.PNG

Today’s leak of the vehicle
Car from Jun 9.PNG

Hmm…

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GM has sure spent a lot of money to fool us, if that's the case.
Until now 95 percent of the C8 exposure has been free through Social Media with little, to no, expense to/for GM! That all changes 7/18/19 with the actual reveal and thereafter C8 visits to Dealerships across the country over the coming months, which will establish how well the Mid Engine Vette is received! When dealers actually have C8 inventory is another matter, with some lag time to be expected. Time will tell!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just found this pic of the new McLaren GT which, IMHO, is almost identical in body style regarding its front appearance to the C8 Corvette leaked photos!

Wonder what the rear end looks like?

03dec049e59fbb9bc43d8f2028e59f88-2.jpg

C8 Rendition

fullsizeoutput_340.jpeg

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
As an engineer, form follows function. YOu could have picked almost ANY mid rear engined car and they start to look the same. They have too.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Until now 95 percent of the C8 exposure has been free through Social Media with little, to no, expense to/for GM! That all changes 7/18/19 with the actual reveal and thereafter C8 visits to Dealerships across the country over the coming months, which will establish how well the Mid Engine Vette is received! When dealers actually have C8 inventory is another matter, with some lag time to be expected. Time will tell!
Building and testing a bunch of cars with fake bodywork isn't "free."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Building and testing a bunch of cars with fake bodywork isn't "free."
A drop in the bucket for GM and, in all likelihood, a Tax Write Off, as Factory Demo's! I was actually referring to Advertising Dollar's Spent! Regarding those Demo/Pro-type we've seen, they may end up in a "crusher" or be gifted to GM Executives!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 271270
Returning to my Original Post, C8 Corvette What If! Just discovered this "Official GM Photo" of the C8! This is GM's own way of telling the public the current C8 Camo Body Version could be subject to change. We'll know if any tweaks to the body lines, mirrors etc. have been updated on 7/18/19 release!

The notation on the bottom of the photo is interesting!

2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Mid-Engine-New-York-Drive-002-Overhead-Image.jpg

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
A drop in the bucket for GM and, in all likelihood, a Tax Write Off, as Factory Demo's! I was actually referring to Advertising Dollar's Spent! Regarding those Demo/Pro-type we've seen, they may end up in a "crusher" or be gifted to GM Executives!!!!
GM is not in the business of spending lots of money they don't need to. Car companies sweat the cost of things like switches to the penny. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more, building phoney cars to fool the public isn't in the cards. And testing cars with fake bodywork doesn't provide the information on the quality and reliability, fit and finish of the production parts that GM needs before starting production. And testing aero at the 'ring with cars that don't match reality is a waste of time, too.

Yes, there's some padding and fake styrofoam panels under that camo wrap, but the basic shape of the car is going to be what we've seen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think you gave Calloway a good template to start with.
One of the nicest Working Mid Engine Designs, I've laid my eyes on, is a "One Off Mid Engine" created by GM's Cadillac Division know as the "Cien". Equipped with a 750HP Northstar V-12, that used Direct Injection, this 2002 Model Year Prototype also used "side venting" reminiscent of early "Chevy Cowl Induction" technology!

I think you will agree, GM Designers have been thinking "out of the box" for many moons! It would have been easy for GM to throw a Corvette Logo on this "Cadillac Masterpiece" and have a 2020 Winner!

I can best describe the "Cien" as "Sculptured Eye Candy"!

Enjoy the pics!

bob109

thehistory-2002-cien-626x332-1536772201.jpg

corvette-60-years(14).jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GM is not in the business of spending lots of money they don't need to. Car companies sweat the cost of things like switches to the penny. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more, building phoney cars to fool the public isn't in the cards. And testing cars with fake bodywork doesn't provide the information on the quality and reliability, fit and finish of the production parts that GM needs before starting production. And testing aero at the 'ring with cars that don't match reality is a waste of time, too.

Yes, there's some padding and fake styrofoam panels under that camo wrap, but the basic shape of the car is going to be what we've seen.
If that's the case, why is my 2017 Base Stingray MT7, one of "four C7 variants available that year? Base Model, Fat Fender (bolt on) Grand Sport, Fat Fender (bolt on) Z06 (supercharged) and lastly the "beloved" ZR1 with its "refrigerator sized supercharger", and a Front Facia and Open Hood to die for!

There is, without question, significant differences in the suspension, cooling and body venting systems between the four variants, but they all share the same dash, buttons and other interior components! Bolt On and Snap-In manufacturing processes quicken the pace of production, repair and changes to fender and facia configurations thereby, quickly changing the appearance of the finished vehicle.

Regards and Drive Safe

bob109

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
As an engineer, form follows function. YOu could have picked almost ANY mid rear engined car and they start to look the same. They have too.
I'de like to remind you that GM, Chevrolet, has had no less than six "Mid Engine Designed Corvette Prototypes" over the years! Unfortunately none of them ever made it into production! Several were "Clay" with the remainder actually being "Full Fledge Drivers"! Taking a good close look, at that group of autos, you will immediately realize "none look alike"! It would appear and demonstrate those "Design Folks" were given "free reign" and allowed to use their creative and artistic talents to produce various, unique to their own, body styles! That appears to contradict your statement which infers that "Design Folks" are nothing more than "Bakers" with the same "Cookie Cutter". I'll finish my statement with this closing observation and comparison of Artists, some of whom "dabbled in "water colors" while others painted the ceilings of the " Sistine Chapel"......both Artists, but universes apart in their skills!

Safe Driving

bob109

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Up late last night and I'm a bit saddened on the C8 Reveal, after seeing the unwrapped body! Those Forum Members predicting "what you see in camouflage, is what you get on reveal, were right! Wraps off and there is no mistaking the body features are the same as the "demo versions"! What surprises me most is the disconnect between the front and rear of the car. It appears to me, there were two separate design teams which didn't communicate with each other! That's just my opinion which may change with time or after seeing a C8 in the flesh. The specs speak volumes for what GM achieved and especially at the announced price of the Base Model Ray. Under $60k for this type of performance is surly going to cause The Corvette Competitors ulcers and rightly so!

The attention to detail of the engine/trans with "longitudinal layout" will definitely make this car a true "corner carver" and worthy of the Corvette name. Can't wait to get a "close up peek" in the coming months!

Regards and Safe Driving

bob109

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
rsvettez51
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing