Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask my corvette friends who have purchased a C8 with and without the Front Lift. I have heard that for the 1.5 in rise is not practical and that the C8 front clearance is higher than the C7 so its not with the $1995. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Uno

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I like the front lift and the convenience of the GPS memory. For me it's worth the peace of mind, because there is nothing worse that dragging your Corvette over a speed bump or other obstacle.

My C7 front air dam contacts with my driveway every time I back out (and is torn now - which reminds me that I need to order a new one before I put the C7 back on the road), but no such issue with the C8. Even better, the car knows when I'm home and the system activates automatically before I enter the driveway.

For me, front lift and performance exhaust were two options I wanted and have enjoyed using each drive.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
I wanted to ask my corvette friends who have purchased a C8 with and without the Front Lift. I have heard that for the 1.5 in rise is not practical and that the C8 front clearance is higher than the C7 so its not with the $1995. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Uno
It all depends on where you live, and where you drive. 1.5 inches can be huge when you consider the angle of attack differences that makes from the front of the contact point of the front tires to the front nose.

I don't have a C8, so I can't measure this, but if you tell me how far it is from the front contact point on the front tires (not the center of the tire, but the front contact point of the tire with the ground) to the front nose, and then also tell me the normal height of the bottom of the front nose of C8 to the ground, then I will tell you the angle of attack differences made by that extra 1.5 inches.

I calculated all of this for my C7 because of where I was living at the time (hilly San Francisco Bay Area). I knew it would be a challenge getting the car in the driveway. It was. It turned out that I absolutely couldn't drive the C7 into the driveway there, but I barely could back it in, if I backed in at a certain angle, backing up the hill from the street with my nose pointed down the hill and trailing instead of leading.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Mobius! You are back! You have a C8 now, huh? You should post some pictures here. It is good to hear from you.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Yo bud! I hope you've been well.

Yeah, they still let me post here - go figure. :cool:

I've got about 4400 miles on the C8 now and it's a real head-turner.

I will say though that the C7 convertible is as much fun to drive as ever, and I enjoy spinning the tires and rowing the gears with the M7, neither of which is possible with the C8 (well, with a bit more effort you can spin the C8 tires, but not with the ease and billowing white smoke of the C7). :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was very close in adding the Front Lift (E60) option on my 2022 C8 till greedy Chevrolet/GM raised the price to a ridiculous $2,260.00.
I quickly scratched this option….. it is now very over-priced.

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
21 Posts
You scratched the front lift over a measly $265 dollars, especially after spending around $80K + for the car "WOW"
They raised prices on a few other options including the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
After thinking better I did not want to be penny wise and pound foolish so here are my new 2022 customization list.
2LT
Z51
FE4 MSRC
Front Lift
GT2 Seats
2-Tone Seats Option
I do not think a little more interior leather on the 3LT is worth an additional $3,150 and I also found that there are issues with the 3LT dashboard, so I will avoid headaches.
These are the only 3 extras that the 3LT has over the 2LT on my build:
  • Custom Leather-Wrapped Interior
  • Suede-Wrapped Upper Interior Trim
  • Leather-Wrapped Lower Doors
No way the above 3 extra options are worth $3,150. Chevrolet needs to come down to earth.
A little more than I wanted to spend but I think in the long run it will be worth it and be a more enjoyable car.
Cost $82K just for this C8, plus all the needed extras and all-season tires that I need to buy.
Colorado also maybe the very worse state to register a new car, they hurt the poor buyer very badly and they do not even supply any lubricant. First year registration fee on my new 2022 C8 is expected to be close to $2K, yes Colorado is very brutal. Remember that I have to pay this very high registration fee every year, this fee does go down very slightly each subsequent year though, still very brutal.
My local sales tax is also very brutal, it is about $7,100 (8.64%).
So when I do register my new C8 I have to pay an extra $9K.
I will add all the needed accessories after I find what I will need which I will buy aftermarket, like cargo net and luxury floor mats, Chevrolet has priced their accessories ridiculously too high. For example I will save over $100 by installing the 4 Splash Guards myself instead of ordering this accessory with my new 2022 C8 order, it will take only about 20 minutes to install them.
The only thing left to do is buy the Michelin all-season tires as this is very necessary to drive the C8 in Colorado in the winter and cold months. I want to be able to enjoy my toy all year round. I will not drive it when it is snowing, but need the all-season tires due to the very cold temps that will ruin the rubber on the standard summer tires that come with the Z51 package.
The all-season Michelin AS4 tires will cost almost $1,400 out the door installed price.
The Michelin Summer tires that come standard on the Z51 package are priced about $2,000 complete installed out the door price. I am surprised that the Michelin Summer tires cost about $600 more than the all-season Michelin tires.
Have not decided about what to do with the summer tires yet. Maybe sell them.
Now I am waiting for my allocation, I expect to have my new C8 before this Xmas, it will make a wonderful present.

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
21 Posts
I would have rather had the All-Season tires, but really don't want to spend the extra money to replace the summer tires.
Living in Phx Az I don't think I'll have anything to worry about having/running summer tires year round.
Of course I don't know what the ride difference would be, but it does ride pretty good in our opinion as is.
The price difference between the 2 is I think high performance, higher speed rated ( I think), and because ;).

·
Administrator
16,743 Posts
You can order from the factory when you do your build, Michelin® Pilot® Sport All Season 4 245/35ZR19 front and 305/30ZR20 rear, performance, run-flat tires instead of summer tires.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can order from the factory when you do your build, Michelin® Pilot® Sport All Season 4 245/35ZR19 front and 305/30ZR20 rear, performance, run-flat tires instead of summer tires.
I wish that Chevrolet made the all-season tires an option to select when adding the Z51 Package.
Unfortunately my dilemma is that I want the Z51 package and I want the all-season tires as I live in cold and snowy Colorado. But ..... the Z51 comes ONLY with summer tires....there is no options at all for us to select the all-season tires.
I wish Chevrolet/GM were better accommodating to their customers.
Now I am forced to either not to get the Z51 and be able to get the all-season Michelin....OR.....
get the Z51 with summer tires and buy a new 4-set Michelin all-season tires, cost $1400.
Chevrolet should give us the option to chose which tires we want on our new C8.
I do not care about the differences between the 2 tires, I know there are advantages and disadvantages for each tire, but the final choice must be up to the customer.
Because Chevrolet is stubborn it is going to cost me an extra $1,400.
I do not want to go thru the hassle and headaches to sell my summer tires, it is an unneeded hassle and extra work.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
I wish that Chevrolet made the all-season tires an option to select when adding the Z51 Package.
Unfortunately my dilemma is that I want the Z51 package and I want the all-season tires as I live in cold and snowy Colorado. But ..... the Z51 comes ONLY with summer tires....there is no options at all for us to select the all-season tires.
I wish Chevrolet/GM were better accommodating to their customers.
Now I am forced to either not to get the Z51 and be able to get the all-season Michelin....OR.....
get the Z51 with summer tires and buy a new 4-set Michelin all-season tires, cost $1400.
Chevrolet should give us the option to chose which tires we want on our new C8.
I do not care about the differences between the 2 tires, I know there are advantages and disadvantages for each tire, but the final choice must be up to the customer.
Because Chevrolet is stubborn it is going to cost me an extra $1,400.
I do not want to go thru the hassle and headaches to sell my summer tires, it is an unneeded hassle and extra work.
It would surely cost Chevrolet millions of dollars to do full batteries of validation testing of the Z51 with the all-season tires. They would have to do it to have defensible positions to lawsuits. Otherwise, people could claim that the car wrecked when they were acting like idiots, not because they were acting like idiots, but rather because the tires weren't sticky enough for the performance. Of course that would be nonsense, but when has that stopped people from suing in the past? So, they have to protect themselves, and the costs to do that with full validation testing isn't cheap.

They also would have to pay more for the logistics of being able to separately order and track mixing and matching all-season tires on the Z51, as well as summer-only tires on the non-Z51 (neither of which they do now). Unlike the validation testing talked about above (non-recurring engineering expenses), these extra logistics would be on-going costs in production.

Sure, these various costs wouldn't add $1400 per vehicle, but it would still be expensive for Chevrolet to do this, and then they would pass those costs on to the customers (but, the increased costs of logistics would be passed on to ALL customers, not just those who want non-standard tire packages). Frankly, it is a good business decision for them to not offer the mixing and matching.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but personally being involved in a manufacturing industry, I can say I understand why they simplify options offered. It is far more expensive to a business than people think until you start breaking the actual costs down.

I hope you don't shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I never shoot the messenger and thanks for your input.
I know that Chevrolet will not provide any tire options on the Z51 so I will just accept it and go on with life.
I will buy the all-season Michelin tires, remove the summer tires permanently and mount the all-seasons and then hope to be able to sell the summer tires, they should be almost like brand new cause I will drive straight from the dealer when I pick up my new 2022 C8 to my tire store to mount the all-seasons. I just have to endure this inconvenience and extra expense as realistically I have no other choice or options.
I am just wondering how much I maybe able to sell my almost new summer tires?

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
21 Posts
Realistically you do have another choice, have you even thought of considering first driving the car a while with the summer tires before you go out and spend $$$ that might be unnecessary.
I feel some freak out with the term summer tires, (I did for about 30 seconds and then reality hit) before even seeing/feeling how they handle, which for me is pretty darn good.
And you're correct with GM offering the Z51 package which is a performance package, they certainly will not offer All Season tires in this package.
Trying to sell my guess would maybe about $200 each tops, your tire shop might offer $100 ea if your lucky.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that Chevrolet will not provide any tire options on the Z51 so I will just accept it and go on with life.
I will buy the all-season Michelin tires, remove the summer tires permanently and mount the all-seasons and then hope to be able to sell the summer tires, they should be almost like brand new cause I will drive straight from the dealer when I pick up my new 2022 C8 to my tire store to mount the all-seasons. I just have to endure this inconvenience and extra expense as realistically I have no other choice or options.
I received my Z51 less than 2 months ago with all season tires per my order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You must know somebody, I tried but was told the same as JohnUSA, after the delivery the dealer would do it for me, of course for a good $$$ profit added on the selling price.
I got mine March 24, 2021.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Have you ever considered putting a little bit more money with it, and buying a second set of rims as well? Keep the summer-only tires to drive in summer, and put all-season (or winter) tires on your second set of rims and drive them in winter. The only problem with this is if you don't have storage space to keep the second set of wheels somewhere.

A lot of people do that who live in cold areas and want to drive their cars in winter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is this really worth all the hassle, if you can’t swap them out yourself or have the ability to do so, then you’ll need to someway drag the other set to a shop that can in another vehicle then drag the set removed back home.
IMO, some making to much of a big deal out of something that isn’t, it’s not like your buying a 4X4.
Run what you got with your C8 at least for a little longer than the drive from the dealer to a tire shop.

On the front lift with memory, it’s well worth the extra cost, I made that decision after observing my neighbor always backing in his driveway with his C7, because the front scraped pulling in.
With the front lift mine goes up as I’m getting close to home goes down when I shut‘er down.
It raises when I start‘er up then drops back down, down the street after I leave my home. (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts