Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Corvette Z51, LT2 package, manual, convertible, torch red
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey C8 owners, I am curious. Currently I have a C7 with manual, a convertible.

Anyway to the point: would you buy your C8 again? Are you happy with the new design?
How about reliability for a very new design?

Worth the cost?

In Houston we have a Corvette specialty resale shop: they have the cars. Once in a while one comes up
that turns my head. Not sure if I could live with the auto transmission though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I sold a 2015 7 speed convertible when I got my C8. I loved the C7, and wish I could have kept both, but I love the C8 more. If I can only have one, the C8 is my choice. Yes, I'd buy another one if something happened to this one.

I miss having a manual, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I drive the C8 in manual mode probably 99% of the time other than highway type driving. It's not the same, but the DCT fires off shifts so fast it's very fun in it's own way.

Mine has been trouble-free. Overall, I think the C8 is quite reliable, but probably not quite as reliable as the C7 after all those years of building similar cars (C5, C6 and C7). There have been some problems reported, but I think they affect only a small percentage of cars. JD Power just named the C8 the car with the fewest initial problems in it's class, better than Porsche.

Reactions: Lucydad

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,059 Posts
I sold my 2014 C7 Z51 M7 coupe just a couple of weeks before taking delivery of my 2020 C8 Z51 coupe. I don't miss the manual transmission. The DCT shifts sooooo fast (with an exhaust pop in track mode). The C7 was a big improvement over the C6 and the C8 is a huge improvement over the C7. Mine is approaching 1 year this month and has been absolutely flawless. I would not hesitate an instant buying another if I needed to. Right now, any C8 on a retail lot is going to have a $10K-$30K markup over MSRP - even used.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for owner's comments. I have found through the years that actual owners have the most valid evaluations and opinions. Right now the C8 is "unobtainium" at Chevy dealers for order as I understand the situation.

So, the option is aftermarket re-sellers at a big markup? What is a fair price though?

Then I wonder about insurance costs on a C8 vs my C7? Interestingly insurance on my 2015 C7 was no more than my Miata.

I will add the rear end sculpting of the new C8 leaves me a bit...uh...over angular, or something.

What I need to do is drive down to the Houston reseller, pick a C8 and give it a test?

cheers and drive safe

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Thanks for owner's comments. I have found through the years that actual owners have the most valid evaluations and opinions. Right now the C8 is "unobtainium" at Chevy dealers for order as I understand the situation.

So, the option is aftermarket re-sellers at a big markup? What is a fair price though?

Then I wonder about insurance costs on a C8 vs my C7? Interestingly insurance on my 2015 C7 was no more than my Miata.

I will add the rear end sculpting of the new C8 leaves me a bit...uh...over angular, or something.

What I need to do is drive down to the Houston reseller, pick a C8 and give it a test?

cheers and drive safe
Plenty of C8s at MSRP if you're willing to wait 8 to 12 months. ;) What's fair? I think the only real answer is whatever the buyer and seller are willing to accept. It's easy to see what sellers are asking, but harder to see what they're actually getting. I've seen lots of new ones advertised at $30K over, but I suspect dealers are getting something less than that.

Like you, the C7 cost me the same to insure as my previous Miata. Insurance on my C8 with the same insurance company (GEICO) was about $50 more than the C7 for 6 months. But I shopped around and discovered I was getting ripped off. I got a policy with Erie insurance for half what I was paying GEICO, so shop around.

As far as styling, I agree the back end isn't the best part of the car, but (1) it's grown on me, (2) It looks better in person than in photos, and (3) it looks better from a lower angle than from a standing position. And the rest of the car is so good it doesn't matter anyway.

Reactions: TexasC8

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plenty of C8s at MSRP if you're willing to wait 8 to 12 months. ;) What's fair?

Agree, a car is worth what someone is willing to pay.
Good to hear insurance on C8 not much more than C7.

Back end of car, to me, looks better in darker colors?

Maybe next January I will sniff seriously, when dealers get a bit more cash hungry. Aftermarket is the only reasonable choice? Chevrolet build wait is not going to happen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Maybe next January I will sniff seriously, when dealers get a bit more cash hungry. Aftermarket is the only reasonable choice? Chevrolet build wait is not going to happen.
Which January? 2023? Dealers now have reservations that will carry them well into 2022, even if not one more reservation is placed. Big dealers are saying 8 to 12 months, small dealers saying they have a couple of years worth of deposits.

And mid 2022 the Z06 will start production, and every Z06 built is a Stingray that can't be. C8 prices aren't going down any time soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which January? 2023? Dealers now have reservations that will carry them well into 2022, even if not one more reservation is placed. Big dealers are saying 8 to 12 months, small dealers saying they have a couple of years worth of deposits.

And mid 2022 the Z06 will start production, and every Z06 built is a Stingray that can't be. C8 prices aren't going down any time soon.
Yes, that is truth. I will watch Corvettes of Houston starting 2022 and see if one turns my head. If so, drive up in my C7 and take a C8 for a test drive (I assume they do that). Then, decision time.

Or hold out for a 1964 split window coupe Stingray with thee knock off hubs. Could be the ultimate cool?
Have also considered various Ferraris and Lotus.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yes, that is truth. I will watch Corvettes of Houston starting 2022 and see if one turns my head. If so, drive up in my C7 and take a C8 for a test drive (I assume they do that). Then, decision time.

Or hold out for a 1964 split window coupe Stingray with thee knock off hubs. Could be the ultimate cool?
Interesting selection of cars. The one real advantage of the C8, compared to those others, is that it really can be a daily driver, and car to travel in. But as with everything in life, there are trade-offs and choices to be made.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts

"Or hold out for a 1964 split window coupe Stingray....". Rare car! Be sure to latch on to it when you find one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Traded my 2014 C7 in, which I loved, and got my C8 after a 21 month wait. The exotic look and feel of it was worth it. Having retired several years ago though, some of that may be the desire for new things. The mid-engine does that nicely!

·
Registered
149 Posts

That would be 1963.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Anyway to the point: would you buy your C8 again? Are you happy with the new design?

Worth the cost?

In Houston we have a Corvette specialty resale shop: they have the cars. Once in a while one comes up

Thanks!
other than the long wait…I’d do it again in a heartbeat! Perfect in every way!!

·
Registered
55 Posts

Worth the cost?

Thanks!
I had a 2016 Z51 and I traded it in for a 2020 Z51. Of course, I paid over MSRP (about $15k), but I am glad I did not have to wait 18 months. As far as looks I was hesitant because I thought the C7 was a beauty, and I was on the fence about the wild looks of the C8. But after a while I realized the difference. The C7 was a gorgeous, elegant, curvaceous beauty like Sophia Loren. But the C8 did grab the eye and attention like a hot stripper! So as far as looks, I'm OK with all the attention the car gets.

With respect to handling, there is no comparison. The C8 is so well-balanced with the mid-engine that it can actually feel like it is underpowered with 500 horses. You always feel stable and in control.

The bad news is storage. The C8 does not have as much, so it is not as good for traveling. The rear compartment can hit 140 degrees here in FL. And you cannot bring home a large pizza unless you have no passenger. So it's wife or pizza. Let me think about that.

Overall, I am proud of my purchase and am fantasizing about the new Z06. In the C7 I understand the car could get away from you with that much horsepower, but in the C8 chassis I think it will be perfect.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2014 Manual C7 Laguna Blue Convertible, and since late June 2021, I also have a 2021 Torch Red HTC, about three months.

It's like having two different brand cars, but I love them both. As much fun as the C7 Manual is to shift and drive, it's really nice to be on city streets with an automatic C8. And the C8's infotainment and displays are WAY easier to use.

I have not yet done a 0-60 run on the C8, but when you floor that automatic C8, it feels 10 times faster that shifting through the gears in the C7. Maybe that's because on a standard shift a lot of your attention is on the shifting, while on an automatic, your attention is only on getting there. Perhaps this also applies to an automatic C7, but I've never driven one.

Wife wants me to give one up... but which one????? Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
4 Posts

Worth the cost?

Thanks!
had a C7 conv keep both for 6 months and then decided i would not be driving the C7 because I loved driving the C8 so much. More difficult to get in and out of than the 7 but once in well worth it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a 2014 Manual C7 Laguna Blue Convertible, and since late June 2021, I also have a 2021 Torch Red HTC, about three months.

It's like having two different brand cars, but I love them both. As much fun as the C7 Manual is to shift and drive, it's really nice to be on city streets with an automatic C8. And the C8's infotainment and displays are WAY easier to use.

I have not yet done a 0-60 run on the C8, but when you floor that automatic C8, it feels 10 times faster that shifting through the gears in the C7. Maybe that's because on a standard shift a lot of your attention is on the shifting, while on an automatic, your attention is only on getting there. Perhaps this also applies to an automatic C7, but I've never driven one.

Wife wants me to give one up... but which one????? Decisions, decisions...
Oh for Pete's sake, it is NOT an automatic transmission. Automatic transmissions have torque converters, planetary and sun gears, valve bodies... This is a dual clutch manual transmission that happens to be automatically controlled.

Ok, that said. Hummm... Would I buy it again? Yes. It's a better car than my '16 C7 Z51 M7. It drives far better, is quieter, gets far more looks, (not that I really care). I miss the cubby behind the screen. There is a distinct lack of storage for things in the car. Cupholders are still horrible, the rear view camera mirror isn't great, (and that is probably my eyes and not the system, but the back up cam is clear as day...)

What I really do miss is the distinct rev match sound when downshifting. Yes the C8 does it, but the C7 manual sounded better doing it.

So.. Yes, I'd do it again especially since the C8 was only about $40,000 out of my pocket (after I sold my C7 for $10K more than the dealer offered in trade...)

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts

Here is a chance for a beautiful split window, but its a 63: 1963 CHEVROLET CORVETTE SPLIT-WINDOW COUPE - Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

1 - 20 of 30 Posts