Stingray Corvette Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
28 Posts
Yes, that is truth. I will watch Corvettes of Houston starting 2022 and see if one turns my head. If so, drive up in my C7 and take a C8 for a test drive (I assume they do that). Then, decision time.
I doubt any dealer would let someone take a C8 for a test drive, without a deposit, maybe with the assumption your trading in.
I had to rent one if I wanted to drive one for $500 a day, but decided to put that money towards buying one.
I even tried to drive a used C8 at a small dealer, I had to show I was real interested and put a down payment on it before I could drive it around the parking lot, that didn't happen I didn't care for the yellow color anyway.
I had to order and buy one before I could test drive it, I was able to test drive a 2019 but I wasn't interested in a C7.
The C8 is nicer to drive a little more roomy and easier to get in and out of, comparing to a C7.

Reactions: Lucydad

·
Registered
2015 Corvette Z51, LT2 package, manual, convertible, torch red
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So, someone in this thread said no dealer allows C8 test rides. Well I asked Corvette World-Houston. They have a white convertible with red interior C8 that I like. No way I am buying this car without a drive. I even got a test ride on my MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR before buying, and it is a terror.

Will advise.

But more likely hunting for a 1963-4 with matching numbers and fully restored. The hunt is the interesting part.

·
Administrator
16,912 Posts
Wow, those are really two very different Corvettes and quite the spread in cost.

Reactions: Lucydad

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You know one feature of my C7 convertible I love? The trunk has space for a week of groceries, or my archery equipment. A C8, best I can tell has much less trunk room. I did ask Corvette World in Houston if they give test rides in a C8. They ignored me. So yeah. I am a difficult customer.

I am going to focus on finding the right 1963-4. Better investment anyway.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You know one feature of my C7 convertible I love? The trunk has space for a week of groceries, or my archery equipment. A C8, best I can tell has much less trunk room. I did ask Corvette World in Houston if they give test rides in a C8. They ignored me. So yeah. I am a difficult customer.

I am going to focus on finding the right 1963-4. Better investment anyway.
Two things.
I guess it depends on how you measure trunk space. The two trunks combined do have less overall volume than the C7, but I can still get a lot of stuff in the trunks. You just can't access any of it when you are in the car. The wife finds that slightly annoying.

Second, The 1963 Split window is only an investment if you don't actually drive it. (and when you do drive it, it's a pretty crappy car by any modern standard.) So do you want to look at it and trailer it to shows to protect it's investment value? ( and really only the investment grade cars are trailer queens, NCRS and/or Bloomington Gold) Or do you want a car to drive?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Second that about the C2. We got a '67 C2 new; it was our only car for over 4 years and nearly 100,000 miles. It was a great car by the standards of 50 years ago, but certainly not now. Many times over the years we've been asked if we wish we'd kept that car. We do not. It served it's purpose very well. But I'd not want to drive it on a trip now. At high speeds with the cowl vents open the coupe's doors "bowed out" - you could look up and see daylight, and wow, what wind noise! If attaching this picture works it will show our Stingray with our Aqua Cat on the roof - we drove hundreds of miles like that, going sailing. Had to enter / exit through the windows! (This is a copy of a very faded print; the other photo there shows the car on Lombard Street in San Francisco.)

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think I have given up on a C2: unobtainium. C8s are slowly becoming more available in Houston. However without a test drive, its not happening. Still love my C7.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We love our C7 - over 8 years, 93,000 miles - driven all over the USA and lots of western Canada. Late last winter we owned a C8 for about 6 weeks, but the DCT failed so we bailed on it as insufficiently reliable for our uses. (Our C7 is an M7 - we're really glad we didn't sell it!)

We have another C8 "on order" and it might become available next summer. We're unsure about it - not because we need to test drive one; they drive well and are more comfortable! And we're probably willing to gamble that the DCT will have been corrected. But we're concerned about the lack of storage space in the occupant compartment and the relative difficulty of utilizing the front & rear storage compartments. We'd buy the HTC so we'd not have to give up the rear compartment whenever we wanted to go topless. (We really like the ability to store the C7's top on top of a lot of easily loaded luggage.)

Good luck deciding what you'll do; wish us luck too!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts