Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In fact my first thought is typically McLaren which I think is a good thing right? Anyway, then I see those side scoops
Yep. Dead giveaway.
No McLaren would be caught dead with those giant craters in their sides...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I could show you more examples but ‘nuf said ‘bout McLaren.

Maybe you just don’t like the C8‘s super car looks and that’s okay. But others do. That, as my dad used to say, is why they make chocolate AND vanilla.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cute, Sam. OK, my bad. I said “No McLaren”. But as you might surmise, I was speaking of more “available” models (like the 720s). Or ANY Porsche. Vehicles that appear as if there was some actual thought put into side scoop aesthetics. Look, I LOVE Corvettes. I OWN a Corvette. Like many, I’m happy that the C8 exists and that we finally have a ME in the stable. That doesn’t mean that I’ll blindly give a stamp of approval to what I believe is an absolutely hideous design. And the list of those design flaws starts with the giant craters. Do better, Chevy.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cute, Sam. OK, my bad. I said “No McLaren”. But as you might surmise, I was speaking of more “available” models (like the 720s). Or ANY Porsche. Vehicles that appear as if there was some actual thought put into side scoop aesthetics. Look, I LOVE Corvettes. I OWN a Corvette. Like many, I’m happy that the C8 exists and that we finally have a ME in the stable. That doesn’t mean that I’ll blindly give a stamp of approval to what I believe is an absolutely hideous design. And the list of those design flaws starts with the giant craters. Do better, Chevy.
I won’t beat you up with Porsche pictures with scoops as big as, or bigger than, the C8. LOL (Think Carrera GT, for one.)

The thing is, the more plentiful Porsches such as the 911 series have very different chassis setups and very different engines with less displacement and different cooling requirements than the C8. I know you know this, but there are only so many ways to provide cooling and many of the design features are dictated by the engineering requirements, cooling being one of them.

It’s like the exhaust tips being outboard instead of in the middle as they have been for many prior generations. While aftermarket center exhausts have been designed for the C8 they’re pretty expensive. We can’t lose sight of the fact the Corvette is a mass-produced automobile and I’m sure they were trying to meet the under $60k price point. No doubt, that also had an impact on other engineering/design choices. An engineer friend of mine once told me, ”There are no engineering limitations except money.”

BTW, I saw my first C8 coming the other direction on the road a few days ago and didn’t realize it was ‘Vette until the last second before it passed. What I did realize when I first saw it, though, was that whatever it was, it was a beautiful car.

I promise to wave when I see you on the road, my friend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I will as well 👋🏻🍻

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
For my $0.02, here is a V8 Turbo mid-engine that has side scoops with an appearance that I very much prefer to what the C8 has. I am not comparing any other deign element on this car (such as the hood, front wheels, roof, et cetera). All I am comparing are the air scoop areas in front of the rear wheels from the picture below to the C8. To me, the visual appeal it isn't even close in that one specific area.

For the rest of the car, yeah, I suppose I prefer the looks of the C8.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ah, it must be this McLaren that wouldn’t be caught dead with giant craters...

Wait, those craters look more giant than the ones on a C8. Then it couldn’t be a McLaren. No, it’s a McLaren all right.

View attachment 279809

Boy if GM only gave us a color like this I'd hop on it in a minute. Or bring back Black Rose, as suggested by StingraySam. --Bob

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,032 Posts
Once the side scoops and rear end are fixed then they have a less polarizing car. Both of these cars got the side vent better and looks more integrated. I do understand both these brands have being making midengine longer but seems that we would have learned from them.

View attachment 279807
For my $0.02, here is a V8 Turbo mid-engine that has side scoops with an appearance that I very much prefer to what the C8 has. I am not comparing any other deign element on this car (such as the hood, front wheels, roof, et cetera). All I am comparing are the air scoop areas in front of the rear wheels from the picture below to the C8. To me, the visual appeal it isn't even close in that one specific area.

For the rest of the car, yeah, I suppose I prefer the looks of the C8.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once the side scoops and rear end are fixed then they have a less polarizing car. Both of these cars got the side vent better and looks more integrated.
I do understand both these brands have being making midengine longer but seems that we would have learned from them.
THAT'S what I'm saying! 👏 🍺

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,032 Posts
As I look at these three mid-engine offerings together, the more specific thing that jumped out at me and why the boomerang is so polarizing is half of it is on the rear quarter panel and the other half on the door.

It seems to me that the halve that is tacked onto the door serves no purpose. When I removed the section from the door it actually looks so much better and the side scoop seems more integrated like the other two car designs.

Now just fix the rear and have a less polarizing C8 and probably double the sales....

What do you think about removing the cladding on the door and would you like it better outside of the rear end design?

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,435 Posts
That is an interesting thought Kyle and I like the concept. Of course there would also have to be some sort of rounding of the top part of the C8 scoop or smoother tie-in back to the body from both a safety and visual flow perspective.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
420 Posts
And, a relocating of the door handle, since it's integrated into the underside of the portion of the scoop on the door...........

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yes, Kyle, I agree. That was my immediate reaction when I first saw a C8 picture. "Oh, no! It's on the door, too."

Reactions: Racer_X
1 - 20 of 25 Posts