Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in N.C. it can get hot in the summer and the cabin temp. indicator was showing 91* the other day. With the AC set at 73* what is the coolest cabin temp. that I can hope for ? I once worked at a HVAC company and the boss said that the best you can hope for in your home is 20* differential between OAT and indoor temp. so don't be quick to blame your home unit for poor performance. My 2019 1LT interior is all black so that doesn't help. Haven't taken along a thermometer on a ride yet. The small temperature indicator didn't get much below 91* during my 2 hour drive.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
My Z06 in North Carolina can run you out of the cabin with how cold it gets... as long as the AC button is turned on (amber light illuminated) and it is set to something like 69 or below...

Without the AC compressor turned on, it is like a sauna.

You can also use the recirculate button to chill the pre-chilled air from the cabin instead of having to chill air from the outside.

If none of this will work for you, then something must be wrong with your car's AC.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
With the system set to recirc, it can get mighty cold. The much smaller space in a car makes it easier, in many ways, to cool than a home.

Oh, and more modern home units and better insulated homes can easily beat that 20 degree differential.

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,038 Posts
OP, that former HVAC boss of yours didn't know what he was talking about. I've had no trouble cooling houses in Texas 40 degrees or more below the outside temp. Do you really think that those in AZ in115° heat can only cool their homes to 95°? 20 degrees temperature drop across air intake and outlet is a fairly reasonable differential.

Reactions: Fdxpilot

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
10 Posts
Set the ac temp to the coldest setting which should be 60*.
I‘ve lived in Phoenix for close to 69 years, this is my preferred setting at least 7-8 months out of the year.
You can switch between recirculate and outside to adjust for comfort or just change the fan speed to adjust to your liking.
On a 115* day my ac is 58*-60* out of the registers.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for advice. I went for a drive today~2 hrs. OAT = 90*, set AC to auto 70* and recirculate. Big difference with "RECIRCULATE". Comfortable ride. Re: 20* difference temp. differential info from previous HVAC job, you're right. I forgot about old USAF buddy in Phoenix who deals with high temps., more than 20* for sure. Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
2021 C8 2LT Corvette, Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic, Black Interior, Z51 Package, Front Lift, Engine
10 Posts
The problem with setting AUTO is it will NOT stay on re-circulate, it’s like your home ac unit, off and on, the difference is allowing outside air in between cycles, outside air brings in odors you might not care for.
When the temperature hits 70 (in your case) it’ll automatically open up allowing outside air in, cycling open and closed.
Next time try what I suggested in my post #5,
”But”
If your happy with the results you gots, then stick with it, me personally I would not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts