Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I swapped back to my old wheels tires for a trip , like winter tires. I am using my sensors that came with the car in my wheels I took off, so I bought 4 new sensors that were completely unknown electronically by my car. The part # is 19119416. So after mounting the wheels, I was ready to go for a drive and have them auto recalibrate. I went in the house for 30 min or so to answer some PM'S, and then came back out to drive. The car was off and keys with me. When I started car, THEY WERE ALREADY CONFIGURED!!!! Going over to the DIC info display showed them all registering the 32 lbs I had put in them. YMMV, BUT THIS WAS EASY!

Note: I gave no vin when I bought these online, and my car is a 2LT.

·
Administrator
16,281 Posts
Sometimes these Stingrays of ours are just so smart :D Glad to read that it was easy and done correctly without issue or hassle. :cool:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I found this on a GM tech website and it describes how the system works.
"TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM
The Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) Auto Learn system consists of wheel mounted sensors that transmit RF messages to an in-vehicle receiver (RFA or RCDLR) and to an Auto Learn Module. These messages are then decoded and placed on the serial data bus by the BCM so they can be displayed on Driver Information Center.

The sensors transmit whether they are located on the LH side or the RH side on the vehicle based on direction of rotation — CW or CCW. The Auto Learn Module detects whether a sensor is located on the front axle or the rear axle, depending on the sensor signal strength. This combination allows the system to assign IDs to the corner locations on the vehicle. The Auto Learn Module transmits these assignments to the BCM over the LIN bus. The Auto Learn function is repeated at each ignition cycle to confirm that the original sensors are still mounted to the vehicle.

If a new sensor has been installed, the system will automatically detect and assign it to the proper corner. The relearn process requires that the vehicle is driven at speeds greater than 25 mph (40 km/h) for about 10 minutes."

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relearn process requires that the vehicle is driven at speeds greater than 25 mph (40 km/h) for about 10 minutes."[/B]
And my point for writing this whole thread : I DID NOT HAVE TO DRIVE anywhere, they were configured sitting there.....

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
And my point for writing this whole thread : I DID NOT HAVE TO DRIVE anywhere, they were configured sitting there.....
Hmm, based on Chip's info, it could be that your C7 identified the new sensors and assigned them a location, but that location assignment may change once you get rolling.

Now, if you had told me that you had unique pressures in each tire (say 25, 30, 35, and 40 psi) and assigned specific pressure tires to specific vehicle corners, and then the system recognized each sensors location correctly...

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm, based on Chip's info, it could be that your C7 identified the new sensors and assigned them a location, but that location assignment may change once you get rolling.

Now, if you had told me that you had unique pressures in each tire (say 25, 30, 35, and 40 psi) and assigned specific pressure tires to specific vehicle corners, and then the system recognized each sensors location correctly...
actually I did....I had one they overinflated to 40 at the store on the front right and it caught that, we then modified the inflator to 34 (both rear so they could be I guess diff, and the left front was 30 as we inflated that before putting it on...I would welcome someone else to try it just sitting, it's why I was amazed...my plan was to make the calibration drive and then adjust all to 32 which I did, later that day......

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Reactions: Sciros and glen e
1 - 8 of 8 Posts