Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the most amazing out of state purchase experience at Coughlin in Ohio but I'm getting the run around via CA DMV. I financed the car thru US Bank. The CA DMV says I need to contact the bank and send them the title so they can register the vehicle and return the title. US Bank tells me I need to go back to DMV and have them contact US Bank. I'm getting the run around. Have any of you figured out what the right process is and set of forms are so I can put closure to the circular logic here? Thanks in advance for your help. (the temporary Ohio registration did not work, neither did a form I received which was titled memorandum title). Arghh. Thanks again. Todd

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I bought my car in Ohio when I lived in Ohio. I bought it through GMAC (it still existed back then). GMAC held the title, and sent me a white paper copy. When I moved to CA three years later, I showed the DMV my white paper copy of an Ohio title. The CA DMV used that to register my car, and give me CA plates to replace my Ohio plates. When I paid off my car loan about two years later, GMAC sent the original Ohio title to me. I still have it. CA DMV has never asked me to get a CA title. So, for years, I have had an Ohio title on a car registered in CA with CA plates.

As far as I know, Coughlin should have worked with US Bank for you, US Bank should hold the original title until you eventually pay off your loan, and all the CA DMV would need is a silly copy of the title that US Bank is holding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it should be that simple but US Bank claims OH now only maintains electronic titles and CA DMV has to request it. CA DMV however claims the bank needs to request it. Errr.

·
Registered
371 Posts
CA. has the title they will not release it until you pay the Cali tax at DMV once you do that then they release to the bank until its payed off then after its payed off you get it!!!
I bought mine from MacMulkin and that's how it worked. Also the dealer should have given you a certificate of origin to present to DMV. This is all irrelevant if you payed the taxes when you bought the car if so the bank has the title.
THX..G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paid taxes in full, paid registration fees to CA the only will give me a plate unless they have the title. I've given them the temp registration, the original title memorandum from the county, it's totally insane. I called the bank again and they said DMV can request a state to state title transfer but DMV doesn't know what that is. Out of control.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bought mine in Ohio and financed as well. Simply gave CA DMV the bill of sale showing the OH taxes paid along with the MSO. They charged me the tax difference for my CA county and gave me my tags. It was exceptionally easy.
Do you have the MSO?

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Yes, have the MSO, will make another run at DMV on Friday. Maybe look for someone that's smiling :D
I think that last part is all you are missing to have a successful visit!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hey Todd... are you a member of AAA? I never go to the real DMV anymore. I just go to the DMV desk at AAA. They're smiling most of the time. Maybe it is worth your trouble to join just so you can use their DMV services?

Just a thought!

Hope to meet you soon since you sound close!

Reactions: elegant and MYKZDRM

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Yes, have the MSO, will make another run at DMV on Friday. Maybe look for someone that's smiling :D
I was going to ask why the car was ever titled in Ohio but since you have the MSO it never was, you can't have an MSO and a title at the same time, it's one or the other. US bank has no title yet, they need to be listed as lean holder when California issues the original title.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought mine out of state. Dealer sent me the title to take to DMV, then DMV sent the now California title to US Bank. Don't believe DMV will register/title the car without the title since the title has to be switched to California. GM sends the dealer something (I forget what it was called), but it's effectively the new car title to the state of that dealer. You'll also have to get the car smogged before DMV will issue the registration, in case you weren't already aware. That's always been a requirement though and have had to do it on multiple occasions, even though they were for new cars.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I bought mine out of state. Dealer sent me the title to take to DMV, then DMV sent the now California title to US Bank. Don't believe DMV will register/title the car without the title since the title has to be switched to California. GM sends the dealer something (I forget what it was called), but it's effectively the new car title to the state of that dealer. You'll also have to get the car smogged before DMV will issue the registration, in case you weren't already aware. That's always been a requirement though and have had to do it on multiple occasions, even though they were for new cars.
That piece of paper is called the MSO, Manufacturers Statement of Origin, it's not a title. Once a car is titled in a state it is no longer a "new" car. That MSO is what you provide to the registering state as part of the title and registration paperwork. Registrations cannot be provided without an accompanying title, in states that title cars (some still only use a registration).

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Don't believe DMV will register/title the car without the title since the title has to be switched to California.
I registered my car in CA without the title (I only had a white paper copy of it), and now, more than 10 years and 10 CA registration renewals later, I still don't have a CA title. My title is from Ohio. If I ever want to sell the car in CA, I am sure I would have to get a CA title first. However, I have no plans of selling it, so I am never going to worry about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My experience was a bit of a pain. I also purchased from Coughlin. When I went to DMV (on day 21, this is important) they told me I needed two things to register, the title transferred to California and a smog test. Really? A smog test on a brand new 50 state vehicle. They allowed me to pay my taxes and registration, plus a nice $750 late fee penalty. In Ca you have 20 days to register an out of state vehicle. Never mind that I don't have time to wait 3 hours at DMV and I took the first appointment I could get. Anyway, I started investigating and it turns out that Coughlin had already started the process to transfer the title. Remember, they have sold many, many cars to Ca, they know the process. The smog test was a bit more troubling. I took it to a local shop who apparently have no clue as to how to test one of these. During the dyno process the guy calls me out and says that he's having trouble because the ABS and traction controls are kicking in. He suggests I take it to one of their newer shops who don't dyno. Okay, just a bit more waste of my time. As I'm driving home I start getting error messages on the screen for Stabilitrac and ABS. Thinking they screwed something up I took it to my dealer who had to keep it for 5 days (this was over a weekend) so they could contact and talk to a GM engineer to make sure there was nothing truly wrong. They cleared the codes, test drove and nothing came back on. I've had it back for a few weeks and have seen no issues. I took it to one of the non-dyno smog shops and of course it passed easily. The title transfer has been completed and I should get the plates soon. Overall, I hate Ca. and the BS hoops you have to jump through. At least I'm good for 6 years, by then I should be ready to move to a more vehicle friendly state.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The day I went to pick up my car from my local dealer that Mackmulkin arranged for courtesy delivery
I paid my local dealer the CA tax and registration and $500 courtesy delivery fee, that was March 27th, last week I received my CA plates, registration and title to my car. I have my plates in the car not mounted because I have an appointment with DMV to pickup my personalized plates on the 15th of this month "YL Z51" My experience has been a painless process

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The day I went to pick up my car from my local dealer that Mackmulkin arranged for courtesy delivery
I paid my local dealer the CA tax and registration and $500 courtesy delivery fee, that was March 27th, last week I received my CA plates, registration and title to my car. I have my plates in the car not mounted because I have an appointment with DMV to pickup my personalized plates on the 15th of this month "YL Z51" My experience has been a painless process
I want to have an experience EXACTLY like yours.

We are too far out from our purchase for MacMulkin to inquire with our local dealers, so I'm not sure whom it will be.

Which dealer did you use in SoCal? My Mom lives in Laguna Hills, so maybe I should use the same dealer as you since it sounds so painless! LOL!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

We are too far out from our purchase for MacMulkin to inquire with our local dealers, so I'm not sure whom it will be.

Which dealer did you use in SoCal? My Mom lives in Laguna Hills, so maybe I should use the same dealer as you since it sounds so painless! LOL!
I used Guarantee Chevrolet in Santa Ana. Chevrolet of Irvine don't like courtesy delivery so that is why and they are too stuck up, they charge 10k over msrp. MacMulkin will arrange this delivery for you

·
Registered
10,424 Posts

Suzy, will Able do it for you?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Rodney,

We've told Tommy Jr that Abel and Concord are our top picks on our original deposit / list of stuff sent. He doesn't even begin contacting other dealers this far out though, so we don't know at all. It is still six months out for us, so this is reasonable of him.

Cheers,

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased from MacMulkin and am taking delivery from Capitol Chevy in San Jose. My stingray's sitting in Milpitas waiting for its final ride to San Jose--for those of you in the Bay you know how painstakingly close that is! Milpitas is closer to me than SJ is actually.

Anyway, with a few days left to go...Capitol has already reached out to me with the taxes/dmv/registration fees that I should bring when I pick up the car. So it hopefully seems set up for a painless process (minus the giant sales tax here in CA, lol) for me as well.

Will confirm once I get it! Hopefully in a few days.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts