Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a current Porsche guy who simply can not ignore the legitimacy of the new Stingray. I'm hoping to buy a 2014 Stingray to use at the track. Pretty excited about it actually.
I really can't find what I'm looking for (read: 1LT, Z51, 7speed, etc) and now am searching out a dealer with allocations and willingness to sell at MSRP.
I have no issues with buying the car from outside of CA and driving her or (if I must) shipping her home.
Couple of questions:
Are most non-CA Stingrays only 49 state emissions compliant?
Can a non-CA dealer order a car with CA emission compliance?
I tried the search function, but was unable to come up with anything.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Hi Mike,

All of those questions have been answered on this forum already. Try adding "DMV" and "smog" in your search along with "CA" and "California".

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Good luck finding a California dealer selling at msrp, I gave that up after being 1100 hostage for 3 months and ordered from MacMulkin and it will be ca smogged and courtesy delivered to dealer near me. IMO order from the big boys out of state. And the BIG BOY on east coast is Macmulkin, Ron, Mark Tommy they will help you out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck finding a California dealer selling at msrp, I gave that up after being 1100 hostage for 3 months and ordered from MacMulkin and it will be ca smogged and courtesy delivered to dealer near me. IMO order from the big boys out of state. And the BIG BOY on east coast is Macmulkin, Ron, Mark Tommy they will help you out
Hey, I'm in CA as well and you're right about CA MSRP being in the stratosphere. I'm looking for a dealer who might accept courtesy delivery in LA/OC any ideas?

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
NorCal and SoCal are different markets. It is easy to find a NorCal dealer selling for MSRP.

·
18,669 Posts
As you folks in CA know, most dealers are wanting way about MSRP. Conversely, our forum supporting vendor, MacMulkin is not only the second largest dealer in terms of allocation (over 1,000 StingRays this year), but is selling non Z-51's $2K below sticker (maybe more by now?) and Z-51's at sticker, so even with shipping, you are, most of the time better off by many $$$$$. Plus with his allocation they can and will get you your car this model year, even if it is a Z-51.

Contact info, and please mention StingRay forums when you call: Recommend: Calling Tommy Thompson Jr. @ MacMulkin Chev (Nashua, NH)!!!

I have my 2015 Z06 deposit with Tommy Jr./MacMulkin. Have had my deposit in with him for 9 months. Super honest, super nice person, super integrity!!! He's at: (603) 475-9903; [email protected]

$0 documentation fee-- so you save even compared to other dealers selling at MSRP. He has 19 years experience selling Corvettes, is the lead Corvette person at this dealership, coincidentally the owner's son, and he makes the deals -- doesn't have to talk to a sales manager, etc. And not only does he ship everywhere, but he may also have a name of a dealership near you with whom he already has done courtesy deliveries.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hey, I'm in CA as well and you're right about CA MSRP being in the stratosphere. I'm looking for a dealer who might accept courtesy delivery in LA/OC any ideas?

Just pickup the phone and call your local Chevy dealers. The one I am having delivered to is Guarantee Chevrolet in Santa Ana for $500 Selman Chevrolet wanted $1000 and most dealers I talked don't want to do it because they say it's a hassle and they have been burned in the past such as buyer pulling out and then that dealer ended up with shipping costs back to the east coast dealer.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
They have no stock and take orders selling at msrp and they are out of 2014 allocations meaning you will get a 2015 model which will be either Sept or later. I was with a dealer here in Southern California for msrp but that was on ordered z51, the ones they had in stock had a 5k premium. I gave them a deposit in November and was held hostage at order status 1100 on Jan 27th this year and I said I had enough and decided to go with the BIG BOYS back east (MacMulkin)

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
504 Posts
They have no stock and take orders selling at msrp and they are out of 2014 allocations meaning you will get a 2015 model which will be either Sept or later. I was with a dealer here in Southern California for msrp but that was on ordered z51, the ones they had in stock had a 5k premium. I gave them a deposit in November and was held hostage at order status 1100 on Jan 27th this year and I said I had enough and decided to go with the BIG BOYS back east (MacMulkin)
You are right! I just called them and they said that car just sold and they are not getting any more allocations this MY. When I asked them when this car sold, he said uhh yesterday or last Saturday and they haven't had time to take the web posting down yet..hmm maybe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick question- The dealer I'm considering buying from tells me that code NE1 will cover CA emissions. I am confused at the difference between NE1 and YF5. I just want to make sure NE1 (50state) includes CA emissions. The sticker on the car does say California Class PC/ULEV qualified.
The second question is around sales tax. The dealer in Ohio mentions reciprocity with CA and is going to charge me 6% tax for OH and tells me I will then owe the difference between that and the tax rate in my county due back in CA. I've never encountered this before so just looking for some clarity.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My order from NH has YF5: Emissions:California and I am not paying tax to that dealer, I will be paying tax 8% for me here in California at the DMV when I go too get it registered

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dealer and the Chevy helpline tell me the 50 state emissions covers CA. I guess I'm good to go on that.
Still digging into the tax situation.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
If you are not careful with how you do this, you will have to have an initial smog check before the DMV will register it for you. Of course, doing the smog check is not a big deal, so jumping through hoops to avoid it may not be worth the time for you...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
As Rodney said be careful, mine is being courtesy delivered which means it goes from NG to my local dealer, it never even goes to my selling dealer in NH. I do not know if you are buying an existing z51 from the dealer he has in stock? MacMulkin only put YF5 on mine and I am sure he knows how to sell cars to California. I believe I just read recently that MacMulkin has become the numero uno dealer in the USA? Perhaps John Elegant can chime in to confirm that as he has a very close relationship with them and he knows more then half of us on this forum. I have a lot of respect for John Elegant (Man of wisdom) :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
As Rodney said be careful, mine is being courtesy delivered which means it goes from NG to my local dealer, it never even goes to my selling dealer in NH. I do not know if you are buying an existing z51 from the dealer he has in stock? MacMulkin only put YF5 on mine and I am sure he knows how to sell cars to California. I believe I just read recently that MacMulkin has become the numero uno dealer in the USA? Perhaps John Elegant can chime in to confirm that as he has a very close relationship with them and he knows more then half of us on this forum. I have a lot of respect for John Elegant (Man of wisdom) :cool:

Keep us updated on how it works out especially the registration, tax and smog hurdles .

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Keep us updated on how it works out especially the registration, tax and smog hurdles .

Will do, my TPW is March 3rd and I am anticipating 4 weeks till it gets to me local dealer for pickup. Mid April I should have it registered and smogged. I will then post my results, PM me if I forget :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car I'm buying is from an existing dealer in Ohio (Bud's Chevy). MacMulkin would need to order the car I'm looking for and Bud's happens to have it. They seem very adept at selling cars out of state. I'm even getting a deal on the Z51, which I didn't expect.
I'll keep you guys posted.
Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts