Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my C7 at Callaway since October and I'm getting tired of waiting. When I shipped my car the estimate was by Jan 1 then it was changed to Feb 1, then changed to March 1. Yesterday Callaway told me April 5th...I'll be very unhappy if it's longer!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
18,670 Posts
I've had my C7 at Callaway since October and I'm getting tired of waiting. When I shipped my car the estimate was by Jan 1 then it was changed to Feb 1, then changed to March 1. Yesterday Callaway told me April 5th...I'll be very unhappy if it's longer!
"nevadgame," that is such disappointing news! Historically Callaway has made promises/commitments and met/exceeded them. Clearly, they have had, and are still having a major roadblock with the StingRay! I am so sorry, and am amazed by your measured/composed response!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, getting too bent out of shape just makes everything worse. I have other fun cars to drive but it is a disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just spoke with callaway dealer, keep in mind they have had my car since mid October, latest estimates for supercharger completion have been moved back from January , to February, to march, to early April, and now...to late May or early June. My brand new car will be a year old when I get it back. I think they kidnaped a bunch of cars just to store in their shop for 6 months just to make the sale. It's beyond disappointing and well into unethical business behavior. Callaway may have a reasonable reason which was beyond their control, but I can't dismiss the feeling bad business ethics are a major factor. Those considering doing business with them...beware.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So sorry, I have heard negative things in the past, you always hope it is just gossip but it appears it is true from your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just spoke with callaway dealer, keep in mind they have had my car since mid October, latest estimates for supercharger completion have been moved back from January , to February, to march, to early April, and now...to late May or early June. My brand new car will be a year old when I get it back. I think they kidnaped a bunch of cars just to store in their shop for 6 months just to make the sale. It's beyond disappointing and well into unethical business behavior. Callaway may have a reasonable reason which was beyond their control, but I can't dismiss the feeling bad business ethics are a major factor. Those considering doing business with them...beware.
Maybe they will not charge you for the supercharger because your car was kept for so long for them to do their R&D?

·
18,670 Posts
Interestingly I have heard tons of positive things about Callaway, up until "nevadgame's" post/experience above. Their vehicles are so amazingly reliable (they have over 186,000 on their supercharged SC606 C6), and every time I run into a Callaway owner, they rave about their cars.

Hopefully this is an unfortunate (very, very unfortunate) current problem and they get their processes back on track. Here's to nevadgame getting his back sooner than June and with a huge, huge discount.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interestingly I have heard tons of positive things about Callaway, up until "nevadgame's" post/experience above. Their vehicles are so amazingly reliable (they have over 186,000 on their supercharged SC606 C6), and every time I run into a Callaway owner, they rave about their cars.

Hopefully this is an unfortunate (very, very unfortunate) current problem and they get their processes back on track. Here's to nevadgame getting his back sooner than June and with a huge, huge discount.
The car is taking longer than originally anticipated, that's for certain, but we've kept the dealer up to speed, and expected them to communicate regularly.

As with any new platform, especially one with all new components.

Regarding the owner's concerns, the new supercharger has some new, innovative features that are a departure from previous Eaton-based supercharger designs. The packaging of these features, optimizing airflow management, and fine-tuning the cosmetics have taken longer than expected and, as mentioned above, the tooling has also been taking longer than expected.

Your purchase was an early order. Consequently, your car has been put at the front of the queue; it will be one of the first production SC610’s, but as discussed, not an R&D car. This means it would be built in the first week of production, in late May-early June.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding and patience,

·
Registered
72 Posts
The car is taking longer than originally anticipated, that's for certain, but we've kept the dealer up to speed, and expected them to communicate regularly.

As with any new platform, especially one with all new components.

Regarding the owner's concerns, the new supercharger has some new, innovative features that are a departure from previous Eaton-based supercharger designs. The packaging of these features, optimizing airflow management, and fine-tuning the cosmetics have taken longer than expected and, as mentioned above, the tooling has also been taking longer than expected.

Your purchase was an early order. Consequently, your car has been put at the front of the queue; it will be one of the first production SC610’s, but as discussed, not an R&D car. This means it would be built in the first week of production, in late May-early June.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding and patience,
REALLY? ..... Why did you even ACCEPT his car if you knew it wouldn't be completed in a short period of time? Or... Why didn't you notify him that it would be MONTHS before the necessary components were available to do the job? I'm extremely impressed with his patience! To give up driving a new Corvette waiting for this is amazing. I've been wanting to do the same thing but now I'm having second thoughts. My car is supposed to be built this week by Chevrolet but I'll make sure I get a FIRM date from Callaway before I bring it in for the conversion.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
That is actually a good question. If it is not an R&D car, then why keep it? Why not give it back to the owner to drive until the conversion is ready?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That is actually a good question. If it is not an R&D car, then why keep it? Why not give it back to the owner to drive until the conversion is ready?
Yep, something doesn't smell right about them keeping the car if it wasn't used for some sort of R&D and if it was used for R&D I would demand and expect a significant discount.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Really? As we say in Texas; "when you are in the hole stop digging" This should have been all explained to the customer up front. not in a forum post. You have known about this for some time by your own admission and you are just now telling him? Not good business!

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Really? As we say in Texas; "when you are in the hole stop digging" This should have been all explained to the customer up front. not in a forum post. You have known about this for some time by your own admission and you are just now telling him? Not good business!
Your post reminds me of a song from Randy Travis. Maybe it is a Texas thing.

"Deeper and deeper, he's going down, drivin' his future right in to the ground. He thinks he's closer, the further he goes, but he's still on the bottom... You can't dig out of the hole!"

Reactions: Mark A King

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Right on Rodney!

·
Registered
37 Posts
regardless to charge a man full price when the "target" has been continually missed to me is just bad business. That said the question begs to be asked wether it is Callaway's responsibility to report this to the op or the dealer that sold it. Op you musy have one hell of a stable of "toys" to keep you distracted !!! Good luck my friend and do not be a victim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unfortunately, on the internet, people will surmise or guess what they feel is happening, as in the case of your post. With all due respect, you would not have all the info, but can post, all the same.

We have kept the customer informed, and spoke with the customer about a week ago. The posting on this forum is actually quite surprising, as my cell phone and email address are known.

Additionally, I spoke with the customer's dealer about every other day, and we rely on the dealer to then keep their customer(s) informed. I cannot say to what degree that happened, but if the buyer is on a forum airing their grievance, then it would seem the dealer didn't meet the expectation of communications.

Yesterday, I called the dealer and then bridged the customer on the line. We spoke candidly about the product, timeline, and expectations. At the end of the call, all questions were answered to the satisfaction of each party, and this very thread was even discussed.

I hope this helps, and offers some true insight to the question at hand. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In speaking with the owner through myself and our dealer, the customer had not asked for their car back, and given the fact it's been winter since it arrived, didn't really want it back. It came up as a point of discussion, and the customer elected to leave the car where it is.

I hope this helps.

Additionally, the customer specifically asked their car not be the very first production car, and we respect that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
REALLY? ..... Why did you even ACCEPT his car if you knew it wouldn't be completed in a short period of time? Or... Why didn't you notify him that it would be MONTHS before the necessary components were available to do the job? I'm extremely impressed with his patience! To give up driving a new Corvette waiting for this is amazing. I've been wanting to do the same thing but now I'm having second thoughts. My car is supposed to be built this week by Chevrolet but I'll make sure I get a FIRM date from Callaway before I bring it in for the conversion.
Steve,
With any new product, there can be unforeseen matters, including further design changes. When the car arrived in December, our goal and intent was to deliver the car back to the customer in early January 2014. This changed, and we communicated that to the dealer and their customer. We expected the changes in production to take us to into Feb/Mar., depending on actual timing, but further changes in design pushed those dates a bit further.

We do certainly appreciate not only the opportunity to build the customer's vehicle, but their patience as we roll out such a great new design in supercharging. I think one of the reasons one selects Callaway in the first place, is that we are the absolute best at what we do, hands-down.

Having the most powerful, reliable, drivable, and emissions-compliant packages available, deliver the performance one is after in the first place. Backing the product with a Powertrain Warranty which supplements the factory GM coverage, is another factor, delivering the assurance that you are covered, if needed.

We are awfully proud of our 37 year heritage, 27 with Corvette - but sometimes things take a bit longer than anticipated. That said, I'd be happy to work with you on your car and secure a firm date for production, and hope this message is helpful with insight as to why there were shifts in the timeline to begin with.

Regards,

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
In speaking with the owner through myself and our dealer, the customer had not asked for their car back, and given the fact it's been winter since it arrived, didn't really want it back. It came up as a point of discussion, and the customer elected to leave the car where it is.

I hope this helps.

Additionally, the customer specifically asked their car not be the very first production car, and we respect that.
It does help. If that is what the customer chose to do, then that is the right thing to do.

I also understand it is better to slip a schedule and deliver the highest quality product, than to rush it and risk causing huge problems down the road.

Your name and reputation precedes you. I don't think anyone here was questioning the quality of your work.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Mark A King
1 - 20 of 25 Posts