Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Both the 2014 Callaway SC627 and the upcoming 2015 Z06 have a surfeit of both horsepower and torque. Which one appeals to you?

autoevolution said:
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs 2014 Callaway Corvette SC627 - Which Makes More Sense?

When it comes to high performance Vettes, it's an age-old question if it's better to go for a factory-prepped model or a vehicle which has been steroidized with aftermarket bits and bobs. With the Callaway Corvette SC627 on the horizon, we wonder if this package offers more bang for the buck than the manufacturer's 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

On paper, the 2014 Callaway Corvette SC627 has been rated at 627 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 610 lb-ft at 4,400 rpm. Compared to the C7 Stingray, that translates to a 167 horsepower and 145 lb-ft increase over the stock 6.2-liter LT1 V8's output. This power increase comes from a supercharger system that includes a 2,300cc high helix angle, four-lobe rotor pack, a bigger intercooler with three liquid-to-air cooling elements and a revised intake manifold.

Callaway points out that while it used SAE-corrected flywheel figures to rate the SC627, most aftermarket tuners use a "standard-corrected" procedure, which would have resulted in much higher output of 657 horsepower and 639 lb-ft of torque. Price-wise, the extra oomph and ZR1-inspired visuals cost at least $22,995 on top of the $53,000 a basic 2014 Chevrolet C7 Corvette Stingray commands, translating to a $75,995 grand total. That's perilously close compared to the recently revealed 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, which is expected to hold a base sticker price of $76,595.

So what does the in-house high performance version of the Stingray has in store for you? Starting with the LT4 supercharged 6.2-liter mill, the all-new Z06 has been rated 650 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 650 lb-ft of torque available when the engine turns over 3,600 rpm. Mind you, those are crank figures, so if there's minimum loss to the rear wheels, the Z06 and Callaway SC627 are pretty similar in terms of punch. Compared to the 2,3-liter blower on the Callaway, Chevy's Z06 is aided by a 1.7-liter supercharger that can spin up to 20,000 rpm thanks to smaller diameter rotors and a more direct discharge port which increases airflow but also reduces heat.

Buying a sports car packing over 600 horsepower is a purely subjective matter, so don't get too geeky with the numbers and listen to what your heart whispers. Speaking of which, the order book for the 2014 Callaway Corvette SC627 is now open, while the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 will go on sale Stateside in the fourth quarter, with deliveries slated for early next year.
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs 2014 Callaway Corvette SC627 - Which Makes More Sense?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Z06 hands down.. I owned a Callaway Vette several years ago and I have only good things to say about Callaway. Yes, the Callaway package will safely add the HP with warranty and slightly change the exterior with the Callaway exhaust and hood. However, you're getting the entire package with the Z06: warranty, 650hp, wider fenders with 12" rear wheels, more aggressive styling, and higher resale down the road. IMO the only advantage to the Callaway is not having to wait 6+ months for a Z.

The Callaway package is very nice for sure, but it's also $23k which is quite expensive. And if you decide to go with the Callaway wheel package, and other goodies, then the cost is $30k+ on top of the cost of the Stingray. I actually spent a few minutes thinking about going the Callaway route instead of purchasing a new Z06. However, the cost of both cars should be similar, and that's why it didn't take me long to decide on the Z06. The Callaway option makes sense for stingray owners with some extra money and looking for more power. Or you can choose a different tuner and get the same hp for a lot less than $23k.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No hijack but I like the $76,595 base price for the Z06.

The Z06 is more than just HP!!! At least I hope so!

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree that Callaway is top class! Would have purchased a 2015 Callaway IF the Z06 would have not been a 2015 (will not wait one additional year). Had the Z06 only come with an automatic, also would have gotten a Callaway.

All the above reasons are valid. For example, I priced one with all the bigger wheel and tires, the body width aero extensions shown in one rendering, and everything I wanted and was into the $120,000's.

Yet, Callaway does produce outstandingly excellent products and systems. There is a reason why GM authorized Callaway, and only Callaway, to represent Corvette in the European FIA GT championships.

However, comparing all factors, the Z06 is definitely my decision.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
To answer your question, the Z06 appeals to me most.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Hands down Z06, if something was to break I have a Chevrolet dealership nearby, what happens if the Callaway breaks?

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just saw a video on the C7 Callaway at GM Authority. I was totally unimpressed by it. I can see how Callaway could fill a void in the past, but I'm afraid GM has filled any/all gaps Callaway may have been able to fill with the new Z06. It appears to me Callaway has taken a different approach with the supercharger by going bigger.... Bigger isn't always better. By GM going with a smaller CC supercharger and spooling it up is providing that broader torque curve across the board. The other huge difference is the fact Callaway is using the LT1 engine, which was originally designed to be naturally aspirated. This substantially limits the amount of boost that can be applied by the supercharge while maintaining any kind of reliability and longevity of the engine. A very responsible move on Callaway's part. That's the reason the Callaway is producing 627 HP and 610 Lb Ft of torque. I've tried to explain before, the LT4 in the Z06 is a completely different animal than the LT1 found in the base Stingray. The LT4 is built for boost.....

I keep hearing people go on and on about the C6 ZR1. Personally, I really never cared for the supercharger on the ZR1 sticking through the hood. I always thought it was tacky and was almost as bad as running around town without any hood at all.... But that's just me.... I'm sure I'm going to catch allot of flack from all the diehard ZR1 enthusiasts now.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hands down Z06, if something was to break I have a Chevrolet dealership nearby, what happens if the Callaway breaks?

SF
Rick
My nearby Chevrolet dealer mostly sells Silverados and Impalas. I have never even seen a C7 there. Fortunately, Mac Mulkin is 100 miles away.

·
Registered
489 Posts
yeah that Callaway hood is fugly.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GM has choosen only one aftermarket company to race the Corvette C6.R in Europe in the FIA GT Championships. Last year, against Nissan GT-R, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Porsche and more, the Callaway C6.R won the FIA GT Championships.

I respectfully disagree, for the above proves to me that Callaway is not some over priced, gimmicky aftermarket company. Yes, they are not in expensive, and while many can and should build their own supercharged and turbocharged StingRays will resultant great performance, Callaway is a first class, highly skilled, well engineered, successful race winning company. The C6 SC606 that Chris drove 188,000 miles around this country, needed not a single non-wear repair. Callaway's build reliable, long-term high performance Corvettes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Definitely Z06!

If the Z06 breaks down, just go to any GM dealer and get it fixed.

If Callaway breaks down, ship it off to them to get it fixed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
GM has choosen only one aftermarket company to race the Corvette C6.R in Europe in the FIA GT Championships. Last year, against Nissan GT-R, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Porsche and more, the Callaway C6.R won the FIA GT Championships.

I respectfully disagree, for the above proves to me that Callaway is not some over priced, gimmicky aftermarket company. Yes, they are not in expensive, and while many can and should build their own supercharged and turbocharged StingRays will resultant great performance, Callaway is a first class, highly skilled, well engineered, successful race winning company. The C6 SC606 that Chris drove 188,000 miles around this country, needed not a single non-wear repair. Callaway's build reliable, long-term high performance Corvettes.

And I disagree...

Just because Chevy backs a shop doesn't mean they provide us a better product. Chevy pays they to race and build cars so of coarse they do well in order to keep Chevys contract. LG competes against callaway and beats them on occasion but I wouldnt go to LG either and LG is 5 miles from my house.

I'm not saying those shops can't build a good car but my point is there are better and other good performance shop that are a lot less arrogant and expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Definitely Z06!

If the Z06 breaks down, just go to any GM dealer and get it fixed.

If Callaway breaks down, ship it off to them to get it fixed.
If a Callaway were to break down, it can be repaired by any qualified Chevrolet Dealer. The vehicles do not go back to Callaway.
Callaway reports every one of the cars converted to GM, just for the ease of servicing down the road. They are the only ones who do this.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
34 Posts

Thanks, John.

I am still driving that 'ol SC606, which is a 2010 Grand Sport. She now has 193,000 miles, and still going, and without any issue. Nobody else has a car which could come code to claiming the same w/ respect to power, reliability, drivability, and after sale support.NOBODY.

Also, thank you for your compliments on the Callaway packages for the Stingray. Far from gimmicky, the new supercharger is an engineering marvel in terms of heat reduction w/ the patented triple intercooler. The Callaway-designed supercharger is powerful, reliable, and makes loads of power which is usable in real-world driving situations.

I'd invite you - or anyone else to drive one for yourself and see. As far as the rest of the comments and debate in the thread, unfortunately, it's all very interesting, as the Z06 is a good car, which still nobody knows its cost, availability, or arrival dates. One could be in a Callaway, now!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Gimmick

There are other cars from other shops running just as well for just as long so I'm happy you are pleased with your car.

My entire point is they are over priced and not worth it. They were innovative years ago but now they are average because so many shops can do what they can.

I'm not impressed by them or Hennessy any longer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gimmick

There are other cars from other shops running just as well for just as long so I'm happy you are pleased with your car.

My entire point is they are over priced and not worth it. They were innovative years ago but now they are average because so many shops can do what they can.

Interesting perspective. Please tell me, who else has a Supercharged Corvette with runs a 10 second 1/4, driven home, and has nearly 200,000 miles without fault? If there is one, I've never heard of it in my 25+ years of being a Corvette owner. Just to be clear, that is nearly two hundred thousand miles, not 20k, or less. ;)

Perhaps you missed the part of the new Callaway supercharger being innovative with its triple intercooling? It's pretty amazing the way it manages the heat soak issue. In testing, the results are stellar, and benefits are huge!

In fact, this supercharger is so efficient, wonder what it will do for the upcoming '15 Z06 when it is finally available ;)

I hope this info is of interest - thanks

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 6.32.44 PM.png

·
Registered
658 Posts
Callaway Chris, you're car isn't typical or the standard by which even other callaways should be judged. I'm very impressed and happy your car is banging away and you've enjoyed it.

Callaway is still OVER priced and not worth it IMO. That's my entire point. I have a C7 PC with 100k warranty with custom wheels and weapon x splitters and it will last a long time and looks better then callaway for a lot less. Granted the way a car looks is personal choice but they are not innovative any more so then most great shops. Look at what ECS, A&A, PC, LMR, Vengance, Weapon X etc and they are building cutting edge cars far more reasonably and just as innovative.

Again, callaway is a good shop just like a lot of other shops but I don't feel their name is as valuable as most think it is.

Maybe the fact that I'm not rich and have money to burn prevents me from seeing the value in callaway.

Also to answer the thread topic...

I would choose Z06 in a heartbeat of callaway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts