Stingray Corvette Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
16,912 Posts
You have a new battery and your key fob batteries are new. I'm speculating here that your VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) has been activated and is putting up a lot of absurd responses to the violation of the security system. The examples are clear- alarm doesn't sound, door refuse to open- these are BCM (Body Chassis Module) issues yet the Corvette starts up and runs. These events sound bizarre because they are supposed to in order to get your attention. GM is very secretive about the VATS function. If someone or something has made repeated attempts to steal your Corvette, each attempt causes the VATS to dig in deeper and shut down more and more functions. I'm not completely sure of this, but when a battery is changed, voltage drops to zero, and VATS is activated. I believe the GM technician will use their Tech II diagnostic tool along with tech support via the internet to enter a code telling VATS that a battery change was performed and that all is well with the Corvette. GM knows that eventually you will take the Corvette to the dealer because outside of GM, very little is known about the VATS system- if VATS function was made available to all repair shops and mechanics, then eventually the bad guys would know how it can be defeated. It is so effective, that every push button start GM vehicle cannot be stolen because of the programmed VATS shutdown of the various computers in the car. So, call ahead and make an appointment to have the VATS system reset.
Simply changing out the battery on a C7 will not normally cause any lingering issues with the anti-theft system that would require a trip to the dealer. This is true even when you change the battery and don't temporally use a small charge to 'maintain' systems while the battery is out. It is completely safe to change the battery with no auxiliary power source used until the new battery is installed (if done within a reasonable period of time). Normally all that will occur from the lack of power during the exchange, is that you might have to recalibrate your windows, the alarm/horn may sound on initial reconnect (but is easily reset by the FOB or starting the car), tire pressure sensors and external temperature sensors may read erratically until you take the car for a post installation ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Simply changing out the battery on a C7 will not normally cause any lingering issues with the anti-theft system that would require a trip to the dealer. This is true even when you change the battery and don't temporally use a small charge to 'maintain' systems while the battery is out. It is completely safe to change the battery with no auxiliary power source used until the new battery is installed (if done within a reasonable period of time). Normally all that will occur from the lack of power during the exchange, is that you might have to recalibrate your windows, the alarm/horn may sound on initial reconnect (but is easily reset by the FOB or starting the car), tire pressure sensors and external temperature sensors may read erratically until you take the car for a post installation ride.
Font Screenshot Electronic device Electric blue Multimedia

I’m getting all these BCM codes, ordered one from the dealer $125 and I got a mobile electrician/programmer guy that’s gonna come program it for me for another $100 worst case I lose 200 bucks if not then it’s goin to the dealer!
One thing I noticed when I pulled the carpet to check the BCM is that the floor was wet, it seems like there is a leak in the door weather strip somewhere ?? I think moisture got into the module and fried it

·
Administrator
16,912 Posts
I am gathering this was used C7 when you obtained it and you do not know its full history. Water under the driver seat could also be from a windshield leak in the past or worse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I am gathering this was used C7 when you obtained it and you do not know its full history. Water under the driver seat could also be from a windshield leak in the past or worse.
Yes it’s a used vehicle that I just bought last month, windshield leak ? How do I stop it ? It’s not under the seat, it’s under the dash

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I got an update!!! I pulled the carpet to install the new BCM and get it programmed and there was water under the passenger side carpet, it looks like it’s been leaking rain water from the side of the dash board, I was reading some people complaining about water leak from the windshield ? Or by the firewall ? Any ideas ?

·
Administrator
16,912 Posts
Windshield seal would be the first place to look, after that I would make sure your AC drain is not clogged. If it is, it can spill over into the footwell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Windshield seal would be the first place to look, after that I would make sure your AC drain is not clogged. If it is, it can spill over into the footwell.
Just an update, vehicle is fixed, you were right from the beginning, water didn’t affect any electronics or cause any issues, one of the fuses on positive battery cable was lose, not sure how that happened but it’s fixed now!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts