Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to order a convertible but need to sit in one first. Unfortunately, none to sit in locally.

Any large folks sit in one yet?

I am not tall but am long waisted plus have wide shoulders.

So concerned on two counts that my line of sight will be too high and I'll be squished.

·
18,670 Posts
There was a post elsewhere which was: "I'm 6'4", 260 and fit with room to spare." Another post of I am 6'2", 235 and I do not fit comfortably -- though there was a subsequent post of how the battery had been run down at the display, maybe causing inability for that person to properly adjust the seat. The interior dimensions are almost identical C6 to C7, it might depend on how one's mass is distributed. Additionally, regarding the first post "fit with room to spare," that person posted that with the standard eight way power seat, he found that there was a specific way, and order that he needed to adjust his seat to make it work. Here's what he (6'4", 260 pounds") stated:

"I've had a few C5s and want a C7. Took a long lunch break to go check out the car. I'm 6'4" 260 so all the chatter on the forum had be worried about fitting in it. It has plenty of room. The trick is to get the seat all the way down and back. If the seat back is reclined too far the seat won't go all the way back so here's the order I used.
1. Slide the seat base forward.
2. Incline the seat back.
3. Put the seat base all the way down. Make sure the seat base back and front are all the way down; it will tilt up.
4. Put the seat base (entire seat) all the way back until it won't go any more.
5. Recline the seat back until it hits the "wall" panel behind it.
6. Get in.
7. Move seat base about 1" forward.
8. Recline seat back until it hits the rear wall again.
I had a good 1.5" over my head before I hit the headliner. When I first got in I felt a little too close to the roof and too upright, but had more leg room than needed. Moving the seat up a little and reclining it a little more made it perfect. The steering column is power tilt and telescope so I could get it exactly where I needed it.

The car is a little tighter side to side than a C5, but in no way uncomfortable. The passenger side does have less leg room but I still fit there too. Not sure I'd want to take a long road trip in the passenger seat, but I fit w/o touching the dash or any interior panels.

Car is stunning... I'm sold. I guaranty most complaining about not fitting don't have the seat all the way down/back."

·
Premium Member
734 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 6'2" 185 lbs. I have sat in several and loved it. Plenty of room for me...keep in mind however that it is a wraparound cockpit. Its not wide open inside. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Boy I hope a big guy can fit. I have owned Vettes my whole life and have managed to shoehorn myself in. But now at 53 I'm 6'5" 270. Have never sat in one and going on guts.

I have an 87 Callaway and got pulled over, the officer said "Sir, Have you been drinking" when he saw me trying to get out of the car. I said no "I'm 50 years old and can't get out of this damn thing" He tried to hold back the laughter but my wife didn't. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have read several posts from "big guys" saying that they fit, but you have to wonder how big the guy in this picture is? It looks like his head is above the windshield header.

2014-corvette-convertible-ny-autoshow.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He may have the seat too high as someone suggests above - but that is my concern. Can't be comfortable if u are looking over the windshield.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I can't blame you! I can't offer up any specific suggestions, but keep an eye open for car shows & Chevy dealer shows in your region. I expect we will see more rag tops showing up now that production of the coupes is well underway. You might have to wait awhile, but I think it is a wise move on your part to make sure you are comfortable in one before you sign to buy one unseen / unseated.

·
18,670 Posts
Here's some comments from a person who is 6'5", 300, and says he fits, though tight, in a C7, sitting there for a half hour. He is proceeding with his purchase. Here are his exact comments:

"Here's my verdict. It's tight for sure, as suspected. But I fit and I'm gonna take it home next week when it gets in. It took me a good few minutes of playing with the seats to find the sweet spot. At first i popped the hatch by mistake with my knee, twice. But I found that inch I needed. Unlike the c6, you DO NOT get extra room by inching the seat fwd then reclining more. It doesn't go any more. All the way down, all the way back, and full recline works for me. The power wheel is way improved. All the way out and up works perfect. One note of major improvement. The c6 I removed the drivers sun visor for more visibility. Not needed. It tucks up into the header panel. So it's less intrusive. Also the new smaller rear view mirror adds to visibility. So all you big guys, don't fret. You'll be fine."

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
This confirms what I hope to find out in a few weeks, but last week I got concerned, and did a bit of research. I live in a condo complex with tons of cars and found the smallest car in the lot - a Honda Fit - I found the owner and asked to sit in it. I fit fine at 6'2" 240 lbs - normal build. In looking at all the specs vs a new vette, I felt a lot better about the new car:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am atypically shaped unfortunately - so cars that fit most people may not fit me - long torso, short legs and wide shoulders so I fit (or don't) in things like a much taller/wider person. 5' 10" about 340lbs.

We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It isn't as simple as a height and weight equation with the Stingray. Folks with long legs have more issue than long torso. There was some area in the Stingray that was lost due to bulkhead room for additional electronics over the C6. The seat does not go back as far nor does the seat back recline as far as a result. Lot's of big folks are test fitting and feel fine but it can come down to your proportions.

Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Seat adjustment for tall person thanks to "Rad22":

"I made an interesting discovery today. Kinda hard to explain, but stay with me. I am 6'2" and 240 lbs and I was already comfortable, but found a way to improve things.

I like the seat bottom tilted so the front is as high as possible and the rear as low as possible...a true "bucket". I also like a fair amount of recline in the seat back and I need the seat about as far back as it'll go. I've been driving around for 3 weeks thinking I had these settings "maxed out".

I was wrong.

By moving the seat WAAYYY forward (kissing my knees), I got a LOT more tilt out of the seat bottom and a some more recline. Much to my surprise, when I moved the seat as far back as it would go, it went nearly back as far as I had it before...almost all the way. Now I sit ensconced in a deep bucket with at least an extra inch of headroom, plenty of legroom and loving it!

Apparently, there is an interlock that prevents the rear of the seat from going down all the way or the front coming up all the way when the seat is full back. You apparently have to drop the rear as far as possible, raise the front to the max, THEN move the seat back. Same with the recline function.

Hope this helps some of you long-legged guys. It was a real find for me. I truly believe this little idiosyncrasy is what led a LOT of folks several weeks ago, before the release, to say that the cockpit was too small for them. These adjustments are not straightforward and require a little monkeying around. The good news is that the ARE remembered by the memory function."

·
18,670 Posts
Thanks to "SLBelt" we have a "today" post on how large folks are fitting:

"Yes a 6'7" guy fits fine in this car. I have a 38" inseam so very long legs. I weight about 270 so I'm not just tall, I'm a big guy. I have nearly 2" of headroom. When the car is on cruise, both my legs have room to stretch out past the pedals. I followed the procedure to adjust the seat that I read in another thread, and it worked as described. I fit as well as I fit in my C6Z. Admittedly, when my right foot is on the accelerator, it's bent back but not so bad that I don't have good control or am not comfortable. Width is fine in the seats and actually I find the seats much more comfortable than the back breaking Recaros in the CTSV I traded in."

Note, I believe the procedure he is talking about is the one in the post quote directly above, from original post by "Rad22."

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been very comfortable in my car i'm 6'5" 270 with a 44" waist that fits exactly between the console and door panel. If I were any wider it just wouldn't work.

Leg room is fine, I really like the dead pedal. and have plenty of head room. :cool:

·
18,670 Posts
i10fwy, so glad to hear that! Remember our communicating about this during your order-to-delivery time period.

In hindsight, GM made a mistake is displaying cars at car events with a dead battery so seats couldn't be moved, not having a rep standing next to the car showing tall folks how to properly adjust the seats, etc. I remember one person being so unhappy, he gave up on his C7 dream.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts