Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have no experience with this product, but I would rather use a dedicated wash followed by a dedicated wax. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Yes, that will work fine...but as said above, the better way is clay, polish and seal...see my build thread with links to producs that make it simple.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have no experience with this product, but I would rather use a dedicated wash followed by a dedicated wax. Just my .02 worth.
That product is just your generic otc wash soap. Nothing great or really terrible about it. The best otc product in my opinion is Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash.

Now for glass and interior, I cannot off the top of my head think of stuff that can be had at your usual autoparts store. Everything I have, is gotten from dedicated detailing product websites.

But if you want to wash your vehicle correctly and get the best cleaning with regards to not doing any damage (swirls) to your paint, you will need to go to one of these websites.

You will need...

2 Grit Guards
2 5 Gallon Buckets
Good Soap - My vote goes for Chemical Guys Citrus Wash'n'Gloss or Maxi Sudds.
Wash Mitt - Either a nice microfiber one, like what Meguiars sales, or a good sheepskin wash mitt. Make sure to always use hte wash mitt on JUST the body, clean after each use and store in a dry place where it wont get dirty.
Wash Mitt or Brush for Wheels - Either get a dedicated rim cleaning brush from online stores or depending on wheel design, a cheap wash mitt from a auto parts store. Use this mitt solely for wheels.
Good Wheel Cleaner - Again my vote goes to Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Gel. But there are a lot of good products out there.
Good Drying Towel - Large Waffle Weave Drying Towel. Again, search that particular section of an online detailing store. They will have a selection of what to use. Only use these for the body and NEVER NEVER NEVER use a cotton or cotton base towel to dry your car.
Glass - A lot of products. Stoners or Meguiars get my votes.

For your interior, I assume you mean to wipe it down? If so, again my vote goes to Chemical Guys. You can order 16oz spray bottles of their interior cleaner. Find Chemical Guys Green Clean. Great for wiping down all areas of an interior and leaves a matte look to the panel. If you are someone who likes that shine to the plastics. Chemical Guys Natural Shine. Great product, smells great, leaves a good shine which is not too shiny and repels dust/finger prints.

I know a lot of my recommendations are for chemical guys...but really, in my opinion they make a lot of great base products that are great for weekend warriors who want to keep their vehicles up to pay in between visits to a detailer.

-Mike

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is this product ok to use on my new car? Thanks!
---Also, any suggestions for the windows/mirrors? Interior?
Of course you can....

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I have tested and reviewed probably 30 different washes and this was not one I enjoyed. It left a slight haze and was probably the wash I disliked over all others. If your going to buy over the counter then get the Meg's Gold Class.

My favorite is Ultima Paint Guard wash followed by Duragloss and OCW. We stock Ultima - brought in the whole line because of my experience with and love for the line long before we had a online store.

For mitt use the CarPro Merino wool if you keep it clean and the Microfiber Madness mitt if you let it get dirty between washes.

Drying Towel get the Microfiber Madness Dry me Crazy or the Waverider. Nobody makes better microfiber products than Microfiber Madness. This is a fact.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thanks for all of the advice. And sorry I posted under the wrong category...I usually only troll the first few and never scroll down to these topics...but now I know! ;)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Interior I recommend cleaning with either Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel or if its light cleaning and you want a great 0.05 cent per application cleaning then the Ultima Waterless wash plus which is great for detail spray and so many things - even most interior surfaces.

Protection - CarPro PERL for a budget option that still beats traditional polymer tech from most brands. Or Ultima Interior Guard Plus - love this stuff too-

Ill post some reviews on these products (written before I ever had a horse in the race) later tonight in the CarPro-US section.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I found for windows it's not so much the product, stoners is great, but the material you use to clean the windows with the glass cleaner. I use some new microfiber cloth the size of a face cloth that works great.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I found for windows it's not so much the product, stoners is great, but the material you use to clean the windows with the glass cleaner. I use some new microfiber cloth the size of a face cloth that works great.
That is very true; the type of toweling (whether disposable or a reusable cotton or microfiber material) can make a massive difference in results with regard to a film or streaks left behind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts