Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been made about the new Stingray, and after careful deliberation and thought I cancelled my order and took my deposit back.

When I first wanted a corvette I was wanting a ZR1 and was planning on ordering one when I was a little closer to retirement. However, I lost my mind a little and lept before looking. The current Stingray is a base "grand sport" model and is considerably less than what a ZR-1 would be.

Enter the Z07......

Spy photos has shown pictures of a supercharged 600+ H.P. variant of the Stingray that GM has in the works. This new car is slated to be available in 2016..

2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z07 Spy Photos ? News ? Car and Driver

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
"figure on a sticker price starting at $100,000 for the Z07" a little rich for my blood.

What hp would you get if you added twin turbo's to the LT1? And cost?

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are many conflicting rumors about what the performance variant will be and when it will happen...if ever. Having said that, based on nothing other than rumor, considering the sources, and my biased and distorted view of the world here's my "prediction":

Likely will be for the C7 what the ZR1 was to a C6. Supercharged/intercooled variant of the LT1 with 650 hp, maybe more. Announcement will be at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2014. Ships Q3 or Q4 2014 as a 2015 model year. May have a targa top and may have some form of an automated transmission. If they do all this, sticker price will $100k plus. C6 ZR1 stickered over $120k when heavily optioned. And no, I can't afford one. But that will not necessarily stop me from buying one!

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's your money to spend how you choose. For me, knowing that the hipo variant wouldn't be available until the '16 MY, buying a C7 now and then moving up to a hipo variant later made sense. I get to enjoy the car for ~2 years before the next one.
Honestly, I'll probably order the same color combo too.
Good luck!
S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like the last responder said "it's your money" but let me add my two cents. You are approaching retirement age, you want a Corvette and you appear to be able to afford it without doing without food or shelter. I am a long time Corvette owner in his early 70's and, not to be morose but, have lost 6 of my long time (over 40 year friendships) over the last 7 years. Three of them were car nuts like me. No matter how healthy you are or feel now, at my and your age every day is a blessing. Do not take it for granted that you will be here and in good health in 2015. It is not a matter of do you "need" a Corvette, it is a matter of do you "want" a Corvette. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Like the last responder said "it's your money" but let me add my two cents. You are approaching retirement age, you want a Corvette and you appear to be able to afford it without doing without food or shelter. I am a long time Corvette owner in his early 70's and, not to be morose but, have lost 6 of my long time (over 40 year friendships) over the last 7 years. Three of them were car nuts like me. No matter how healthy you are or feel now, at my and your age every day is a blessing. Do not take it for granted that you will be here and in good health in 2015. It is not a matter of do you "need" a Corvette, it is a matter of do you "want" a Corvette. Just sayin.
Very good point!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Z07 gunna be 100k plus easily

·
Registered
108 Posts
Order a new 2014 Callaway or if you really want HP then Hennessey

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Z07 gunna be 100k plus easily
I disagree, the Z06/7 variant, typically normally aspirated would slot in between a $100,000+ supercharged variant and a well optioned Z51 or in the $80,000 range depending on options.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is why I decided not to wait! I’m not even 50 yet but I have many health problems related to my military service and I’m a cancer survivor. Just this year we buried a childhood friend age 50 who died of complication from diabetes and another one of my friends has a heart valve problem and he just turned 45. It really cracks me up over on the other corvette forum of all the people waiting until 2015 to save a thousand bucks on a new car. It makes me wonder how many of them will die waiting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good for you. Your situation made it clear to you to live life now. Don't have a bucket list with any non checked off items in your pocket when you go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts