Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting today while driving to work (not in my StingRay). Across the interstate (I-57 Northbound) here in Central Illinois, I observed a semi-pulled, large size car carrier hauling a full load of Stingrays. My first thought was "There will be some happy folks soon", and then I realized that all of them were wearing the white plastic covers that were flapping in the wind. I guess this is a good day for the Paint Correction folks and those skilled like glen e. I have great respect for these skilled artisans who have addressed paint issues on their Vettes.

I of course could not get a picture because I was driving. Maybe I am all wrong to be salty about it, but the scuffing on my rear spoiler and trunk lid are in my mind attributable to this procedure and "protection". I found myself looking closely at the paint on my DD, a 2014 Yukon XL Denali in the White Diamond Tintcoat. Though I am not trained to evaluate paint, my untrained eye thinks that it looks perfect. Yesterday, I washed, clayed, and used Adams Buttery Wax on the Yukon so I had a perfect opportunity to inspect the paint. To me, there is minimal orange peel, no scratching, or scuffing. It looks fantastic and glows. image.jpg The StingRay is a flagship and deserves better. I guess one can prevent this with Museum Delivery, but that wasn't an option for the Premiere Edition Vert.

Sorry about the whine. I love the car and with all of the great examples and encouragement on the Forum, I may attack the clear coat scuffs with a Griott Polisher and follow the strict guidelines available on this great resource for StingRay owners.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
That is just another reason I will be happy with a train delivery in an enclosed rail car.

Reactions: docjb

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is just another reason I will be happy with a train delivery in an enclosed rail car.
You are so right! I hope that yours arrives pristine! And, I would guess that you won't let the dealer touch it!

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I was told at the dealership, "We only let our best detail guys touch the Corvettes." A little later, I was looking at a StingRay on their showroom floor, and I pointed out several paint problems, including some very obvious buffer swirls. "They come from Bowling Green that way" was his response.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My dealership only took the cover off my car, it still had all the white tape covering the spoiler and other high contact spots. The car still had one scuff mark near the fuel door from the car cover flapping in the breeze. The rest of the car looked good.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealership only took the cover off my car, it still had all the white tape covering the spoiler and other high contact spots. The car still had one scuff mark near the fuel door from the car cover flapping in the breeze. The rest of the car looked good.
Hi Paul! Mine had a spot above the fuel door too. It looked like what I have heard a detailer call a "pigtail". I dont know exactly what that is, but I sealed the area and then waxed it with a synthetic wax. It doesn't show up so much right now, but I eventually want to address it myself or have a qualified professional deal with it. I read glen e's work and his exhoration to DIY. Maybe later...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hi Paul! Mine had a spot above the fuel door too. It looked like what I have heard a detailer call a "pigtail". I dont know exactly what that is, but I sealed the area and then waxed it with a synthetic wax. It doesn't show up so much right now, but I eventually want to address it myself or have a qualified professional deal with it. I read glen e's work and his exhoration to DIY. Maybe later...
It came out with Adams polishing compound and a power buffer. I was afraid to use the paint correction compound. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
How sad that this is STILL going on. Dealers may even be improperly treating these areas and making them worst. And all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope OUR car is not butchered in the delivery process.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Rodney; My understanding is that some of the surface blemishes were thought to come from the covering rubbing the exterior panels. The rail delivered C-7's to the best of my knowledge are covered also, so you might not be happy after all. Hopefully you will though!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Rodney; My understanding is that some of the surface blemishes were thought to come from the covering rubbing the exterior panels. The rail delivered C-7's to the best of my knowledge are covered also, so you might not be happy after all. Hopefully you will though!

And rail dust much worse too, and it does not just wash off..... any car on the rail, I'd treat to a "de-iron" process...google "iron-x"

Rail dust that has "burned thru"

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Chip, true, they are also covered, but, unlike trucks, they will not get blown so much inside railcars.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
What I was trying to say was that the scratches from the cover will not be as bad with less wind catching the cover and flapping it around. There will be less wind in an enclosed railcar than an open truck.

Glen, thank you, I understand the importance of getting rail dust off. I was thinking a clay bar would be the way to go, but you are saying iron-x first, right? Nice link. I didn't know that.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
What I was trying to say was that the scratches from the cover will not be as bad with less wind catching the cover and flapping it around. There will be less wind in an enclosed railcar than an open truck.

Glen, thank you, I understand the importance of getting rail dust off. I was thinking a clay bar would be the way to go, but you are saying iron-x first, right? Nice link. I didn't know that.
combine two ops in one, use a fine nanoskin sponge while washing with iron x wash, clay is dead.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts