Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, while I've been very impressed by the raw power and fit and finish of my new Stingray, just driving around town or in traffic the car feels kind of big and a bit ponderous... always feel like I have to clutch and brake leaving stoplights as the Hyundai or Toyota in front of me tries to accelerate :) Honestly I like driving my wife's Boxter around town (silver with red interior, please don't judge :)

But on a nice long highway drive this weekend in the Stingray (had to see the Jays take 2 of 3 from the Yankee's) a few times I found a sucker in a GTI or Genesis coupe that wanted to show off and drive fast. Naturally I tucked in behind them and watched for their brakelights as they saw the state trooper by the side of the road. Anyway... once the car got up to 90 or 100 mph everything seemed to tighten up and feel in perfect control. The suspension followed the contour of the road and soaked up any bumps, the steering felt amazing like it was tracking the lane on its own. The engine finally felt like it found its sweet spot, it felt like the car was one of those big cats you see at the zoo... lounging around in the sun relaxing, and then... when it wakes up, you better run cause its scary fast and agile.

If you haven't had yours out on a nice clear road in triple digits, try and find the opportunity... I was very, very impressed. I know I have to find a track club now.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Our club gets on Talladega each year. Others go to Sebring. I haven't been over 100 yet but the car feels totally capable--so one of these days. cutnout aka Charlie

PS I did get the C6 up to 137mph with my wife with me and she enjoyed the experience.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just took delivery of my 2014 A6 coupe and operating it in city traffic/conditions it's exactly as you describe. But turn it loose and if just hunkers down and settles into it's element.

Tom

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Check out shannonville or Mosport. They have lapping at Cayuga on Thursdays. I'm trying to get there if I'm back in Ontario.

I got up to 130mph on the 403 the first day I had the car. Can't do that again on the public roads, can't loose my licence or I'll lose my job then the car. Not worth it. ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
if you get caught doing over 100 mph here its probable you will go to jail--plus a lot other grief. We tend to stick to the track. cutnout aka Charlie

Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
if you get caught doing over 100 mph here its probable you will go to jail--plus a lot other grief. We tend to stick to the track. cutnout aka Charlie
Mandatory car confiscate over 100 MPH in Oregon, just one of many reasons why not on public roads.

Fourteen Ferrari, two Lambos and more got caught in one "parade" last year, and they had to also be bailed out of jail. They got their cars back after much hassle, though not that same day.

·
Administrator
16,587 Posts
Another great reason to take the Ron Fellows High Performance course so that you can truly experience what our Stingrays are capable of and enhance your driving skills. Strongly discourage uber high speed (aka over the legal limit) driving of your Stingray on any public road- it is never worth the possible unfortunate or deadly outcome from the unanticipated. These are incredibly capable high performance machines.:cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another great reason to take the Ron Fellows High Performance course so that you can truly experience what our Stingrays are capable of and enhance your driving skills. Strongly discourage uber high speed (aka over the legal limit) driving of your Stingray on any public road- it is never worth the possible unfortunate or deadly outcome from the unanticipated. These are incredibly capable high performance machines.:cool:
I agree jsvette, I'll be doing the Ron Fellows course in the fall I think. While these cars are very capable on a nice clear piece of road at 90-100, it's not worth the risk with law enforcement. I spent the vast majority of my time doing 5-10 over the limit and passed dozens of state troopers without being pulled over :) I'm glad I got the dark green.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had mine up to 85 the 2nd day I had it.Mainly back road deer country around here.So can't do to much.I do tend to give it some
Gas pulling away from traffic lights.Great car

·
Registered
80 Posts
Will the driving school discount come with a 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
810 Posts
You NEVER want to speed on the NY State Thruway. Bear city!

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is an old air strip close to where I live that is about .85 miles long. My sheriff buddy told me to test her out there. 163mph and very very smooth. Unbelievable machine!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had mine on the track at Palm Beach International Raceway (PDG event) and Sebring (NCM/HPDE) and have had the car up to 140 and braking and cornering on the tracks. It is true that the car really come alive at higher speeds. Also had it on the PBIR drag strip 12.06 1/4mi. Loving every minute of it! That reminds me, I do have a ticket I have to take care of!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have to say, while I've been very impressed by the raw power and fit and finish of my new Stingray, just driving around town or in traffic the car feels kind of big and a bit ponderous... always feel like I have to clutch and brake leaving stoplights as the Hyundai or Toyota in front of me tries to accelerate :) Honestly I like driving my wife's Boxter around town (silver with red interior, please don't judge :)

But on a nice long highway drive this weekend in the Stingray (had to see the Jays take 2 of 3 from the Yankee's) a few times I found a sucker in a GTI or Genesis coupe that wanted to show off and drive fast. Naturally I tucked in behind them and watched for their brakelights as they saw the state trooper by the side of the road. Anyway... once the car got up to 90 or 100 mph everything seemed to tighten up and feel in perfect control. The suspension followed the contour of the road and soaked up any bumps, the steering felt amazing like it was tracking the lane on its own. The engine finally felt like it found its sweet spot, it felt like the car was one of those big cats you see at the zoo... lounging around in the sun relaxing, and then... when it wakes up, you better run cause its scary fast and agile.

If you haven't had yours out on a nice clear road in triple digits, try and find the opportunity... I was very, very impressed. I know I have to find a track club now.
Living in SoCal the traffic is always heavy, at least most of the time. That's one major reason I went for the A6. I also must admit my reflexes in traffic aren't what they used to be. :D

Michael

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I've seen triple digits a couple times and in fact, I have the speed warning set to 90 because the car tracks so well I tend to creep up on that number without knowing it on the mind numbing interstates we have here in the flatlands. It tracks very well indeed at speed.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had mine to 134. The "mountains" off of I-40 make the drive so pleasurable. She loves the corners at high speeds. Can't wait for the Ron Fellows course in October.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Will the driving school discount come with a 2015?

yes the discount is good for 2015.

Reactions: Ragtop

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have gotten my go 150. I know it wasn't smart. It was the car officer trust me!!!!

·
18,670 Posts
I have gotten my go 150. I know it wasn't smart.
No argument from me.

Any future posts about excessive speeding on public roads (defined in Oregon as over 100 MPH except on a race track, drag strip or other approved location, specifically stating that driving a vehicle over 100 mph carries a mandatory minimum 30 – 90 day suspension in addition to a $1,103.00 fine), and this thread will be closed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.