Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
They went to a steel driveshaft to damp down NVH oscillations when in AFM (four cylinder) mode.

Speculation exists as to whether the 2015 Z06 will have a CF driveshaft -- though that would be a very pricey option.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2013 GT500 has a CF driveshaft instead of steel due to the oscillations it was experiencing at speeds over 150 MPH, so I am surprised that the vette did not go with CF.

·
Administrator
16,296 Posts
The 2013 GT500 has a CF driveshaft instead of steel due to the oscillations it was experiencing at speeds over 150 MPH, so I am surprised that the vette did not go with CF.
From personal experience I can tell you that there are no driveshaft oscillations that you feel at speeds over 150 in the C7. It feels rock solid and totally smooth. So my guess is GM did it correctly using steel in our babies (and the GT500 must have been straining too hard to get to that speed ;)). :cool:

·
Registered
873 Posts
The two have totally different power train architectures. The vette driveshaft rides in a stationary tube, quite different from the Ford, which attaches to a moveable solid rear axle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
At the bash, they said steel was used due to vibration in four cylinder mode however the Z06 has cylinder deactivation and a CF driveshaft. Well I guess that's not exactly true. I'm guessing they did this for a few reasons. To keep cost down on the "base" car and help the Z06s weight down as well as differentiate the models. I wonder if it's interchangeable and how much weight saving there is.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
At the bash, they said steel was used due to vibration in four cylinder mode however the Z06 has cylinder deactivation and a CF driveshaft. Well I guess that's not exactly true. I'm guessing they did this for a few reasons. To keep cost down on the "base" car and help the Z06s weight down as well as differentiate the models. I wonder if it's interchangeable and how much weight saving there is.
I believe the Z06 has a CF torque tube. I saw no mention of a CF drive shaft, did I miss that?

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I believe the Z06 has a CF torque tube. I saw no mention of a CF drive shaft, did I miss that?
The hidden carbon-fiber torque tube (From Road And Track: 8 more things to know about the 2015 Corvette Z06):To make cylinder deactivation work on the Stingray, it needed a stiffer torque tube than the aluminum piece used on the C6. They went with steel, which has three times the stiffness but weighs more. That wouldn’t do for the Z06, so it gets a new carbon piece with aluminum bells on either end. “It looks really cool, and no one will ever see it,” says Juechter.

Read more: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Things You Need to Know - Road & Track

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The torque tube is not the drive shaft. The drive shaft sits inside the torque tube. I believe the drive shaft on both the Stingray and Z06 are aluminum. It's the torque tube that wraps around the drive shaft and connects the engine to the transmission that's gone CF on the Z06.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
The torque tube is not the drive shaft. The drive shaft sits inside the torque tube. I believe the drive shaft on both the Stingray and Z06 are aluminum. It's the torque tube that wraps around the drive shaft and connects the engine to the transmission that's gone CF on the Z06.
Never said that the torque tube was the drive shaft...I just answered the part of the question ("I believe the Z06 has a CF torque tube...") on the torque tube!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Never said that the torque tube was the drive shaft...I just answered the part of the question ("I believe the Z06 has a CF torque tube...") on the torque tube!
That question was never asked. Go back and read from the beginning, the question was Drive Shaft and the answers were all about the Torque Tube, two separate parts. Or just look at the title of the thread, "Carbon fiber driveshaft"

I believe the C7 has a steel torque tube surrounding an aluminum drive shaft. I think the C7 Z06 has a CF torque tube surrounding an aluminum drive shaft but I have not been able to find any mention of the DRIVE SHAFT'S composition anywhere.

Reactions: JvKintheUSA

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Here is the exact question that was asked"I believe the Z06 has a CF torque tube. I saw no mention of a CF drive shaft, did I miss that?" As I said before, I only answered the "I believe part".......responses/questions don't always stay true to the threads titles...

That question was never asked. Go back and read from the beginning, the question was Drive Shaft and the answers were all about the Torque Tube, two separate parts. Or just look at the title of the thread, "Carbon fiber driveshaft"

I believe the C7 has a steel torque tube surrounding an aluminum drive shaft. I think the C7 Z06 has a CF torque tube surrounding an aluminum drive shaft but I have not been able to find any mention of the DRIVE SHAFT'S composition anywhere.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Watch starting at 50 seconds.

The Z06 swaps the base Stingray’s steel torque tube for one made entirely of carbon fiber. This is a tricky bit of engineering. Unlike a traditional drive shaft, which only has to contend with torsional stresses, the Corvette’s torque tube deals with forces in every direction.

The company ships American carbon fiber to a supplier in Australia, which constructs the 6.5-foot long tube and then ships it to Bowling Green, Kentucky for assembly. The new design is lighter and stiffer than the steel in the base car.

·
18,670 Posts
Agreed we do not definitively know what Z06 prop shaft is made of (yet). However, along with GM filing a patent on the CF torque tube, they filed another patent for CF propshaft. Is it possible that the Z06 propshaft is also CF???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts