Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I installed a RX 2 valve can plus the cleanside separator 12 days ago & drained the can for the first time yesterday so I have some data. Not knowing where else to post this, I'm doing it here.
A bit of background, I have a Z51 auto w/2500 miles on it & it's engine has been great so far. I did my 1st oil change at 1100 miles & it hasn't been consuming oil at all. I installed the can at 2000 miles & there was no oil in the air filter box at that time despite that the oil level has been at 1/8 inch below full all these miles, even after the oil change inc up to today (1/8 inch below full is a bit higher than most people will rec running it, in general). I don't beat on the car or drive it particularly hard & I was careful about how I broke the engine in.
The RX can has been perfect, the install wasn't difficult, hoses aren't falling off, everything all good. Yesterday, at 500 miles after installing the can, I couldn't wait any longer & drained the can for the first time. I'm draining it into an old gatoraide bottle & plan to save everything that comes out. This is what I got -

It's not much, I'd say maybe a quarter ounce (1/8th ounce?). Half of it looks like water (clear colored), most of the rest of it is watery but amberish (& doesn't mix w/the clear stuff) & there was a very small amount of oil-looking liquid (although it seems thicker than oil)(it's that blob on the right in the picture). For me the oddest thing is the smell, it smells like gasoline.

It hasn't been a bunch of miles, not much came out. Don't know if this data has any use to anybody at all, but I thought I'd put it in the database. I'll go much longer next time before draining it again. The catchcan isn't cheap but I'm glad this stuff isn't going through the motor.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Thanks DR! I 've created this thread for everyone to post their findings in. At this point it appears to be a maintenance item for dry sump motors only, but we will have to see as time passes if the base engine requires them as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I installed a Elite Engineering "Best" catch can with clean side separator at the 250 mile mark. There was not a spot of oil in the intake system at the time of installation. The installation was very easy. The quality of all of the parts is excellent. I now have 1250 miles on my car which is a Z51 manual. I haven't drained the can yet. I plan on doing the first oil change at 3000 miles. My oil level is at about the 3/4 up point at normal operating temperature after a 10 minute rest. No oil consumption so far. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't like having to remove your comments, but I started this thread so that we can gather information. There are other Catch Can threads where you can express your thoughts about their merit, or your thoughts about needing one in the first place. I want to keep this thread "clean" so that those who wanted to keep an eye on what is reported won't have to wade through a lot of "other stuff". Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Today after 841 miles of use I decided to check my catch can and see if there was anything in it. Let's get this straight, I do not want to enable anyone who is attempting to "scare" owners into thinking that their new C7 is in need of a certain product and I do not want to contribute to scare tactics. I just felt it is important to follow up one way or another no matter what the outcome is. Unfortunately I found oil in my catch can today, I was kind of hoping it was going to be dry but not so. So as to not confuse the issue this is not a result of oil being burped out of the oil reservoir tank into the intake, that is a separate problem and in no way could that contribute to oil finding it's way through the PCV system and into the catch can. Do not confuse this issue as some of you have already, if oil is burped out of your tank it will find its way through a vent tube and pool in your intake bridge and coat the air filter and possibly end up on the garage floor. Catch cans do not fix or address that problem. The catch can is only inserted into your pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve system and simply allows oil to separate out from the crankcase vapors before they are introduced into the intake manifold way downstream from your air filter. GM has gone to great lengths with our engines to reduce this problem with new baffle designs but the evidence shows that it is not eliminating the problem entirely. Is the amount of oil I found damaging to my engine over the 841 miles? I don't know that answer. I am not advocating that you run out and purchase any products, so please educate yourself and make your own decisions. I think there are two kinds of people on these forums, gear heads and buffer heads and those like me who live in the middle and want the ultimate in performance (gear head) and still admire the beauty of a well kept and crafted car (buffer head). As a former gear head who spent countless hours on the insides of his engines grinding and polishing intake manifolds, intake runners and valve pockets in the search for the best airflow possible (volumetric efficiency) which gave you the highest horsepower possible, I cringe at the thought of something disturbing that flow and efficiency ie. oil coking up on the backsides of my intake valves. This bothers me as much as it would bother some of you to let your car sit over the summer with love bugs plastered over the front of your beautiful cars. Maybe my car is one in the 3000 that has enough ring blow by that mine is pumping more oil through than normal, I hope so but somehow I doubt that is the case.
Here are my photos and videos of me attempting to film while bending over my car and placing a plastic water bottle over the drain line. I eliminated the video of me cussing out the car after I forgot to take off my watch and promptly removed the 18 karat timer bezel off my Submariner on a sharp edge of the brake line assembly and spent an hour trying to find all the parts that popped off. My bad, I should have known better.
View attachment 8108

·
Registered
699 Posts
Today after 841 miles of use I decided to check my catch can and see if there was anything in it. Let's get this straight, I do not want to enable anyone who is attempting to "scare" owners into thinking that their new C7 is in need of a certain product and I do not want to contribute to scare tactics. I just felt it is important to follow up one way or another no matter what the outcome is. Unfortunately I found oil in my catch can today, I was kind of hoping it was going to be dry but not so. So as to not confuse the issue this is not a result of oil being burped out of the oil reservoir tank into the intake, that is a separate problem and in no way could that contribute to oil finding it's way through the PCV system and into the catch can. Do not confuse this issue as some of you have already, if oil is burped out of your tank it will find its way through a vent tube and pool in your intake bridge and coat the air filter and possibly end up on the garage floor. Catch cans do not fix or address that problem. The catch can is only inserted into your pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve system and simply allows oil to separate out from the crankcase vapors before they are introduced into the intake manifold way downstream from your air filter. GM has gone to great lengths with our engines to reduce this problem with new baffle designs but the evidence shows that it is not eliminating the problem entirely. Is the amount of oil I found damaging to my engine over the 841 miles? I don't know that answer. I am not advocating that you run out and purchase any products, so please educate yourself and make your own decisions. I think there are two kinds of people on these forums, gear heads and buffer heads and those like me who live in the middle and want the ultimate in performance (gear head) and still admire the beauty of a well kept and crafted car (buffer head). As a former gear head who spent countless hours on the insides of his engines grinding and polishing intake manifolds, intake runners and valve pockets in the search for the best airflow possible (volumetric efficiency) which gave you the highest horsepower possible, I cringe at the thought of something disturbing that flow and efficiency ie. oil coking up on the backsides of my intake valves. This bothers me as much as it would bother some of you to let your car sit over the summer with love bugs plastered over the front of your beautiful cars. Maybe my car is one in the 3000 that has enough ring blow by that mine is pumping more oil through than normal, I hope so but somehow I doubt that is the case.
Here are my photos and videos of me attempting to film while bending over my car and placing a plastic water bottle over the drain line. I eliminated the video of me cussing out the car after I forgot to take off my watch and promptly removed the 18 karat timer bezel off my Submariner on a sharp edge of the brake line assembly and spent an hour trying to find all the parts that popped off. My bad, I should have known better.
View attachment 8108
Thanks Ken. I'm awaiting the clean side separator so I can make the full install. I already have the catchcan. I really appreciate your followup.

Michael

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mine is a Rev Extreme or RX but I don't really think it matters with the top three. Elite makes one and there is a third brand as well, just can't remember their name. Do a search on the forum and you'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't like having to remove your comments, but I started this thread so that we can gather information. There are other Catch Can threads where you can express your thoughts about their merit, or your thoughts about needing one in the first place. I want to keep this thread "clean" so that those who wanted to keep an eye on what is reported won't have to wade through a lot of "other stuff". Thanks!
As much as I dislike quoting myself, this thread is to be used for OWNER REPORTS ONLY. Everything else will be deleted. If you have question to ask about a given report please site message the owner that posted his / her report. The OP then can edit / update the report to answer or clear up something that needed a little clarification.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Let's do it this way.....
Year of car:

Date of manufacture:

Z51 or base:

Total miles on car:

Where do you keep your oil level as indicated by the dipstick in the sump tank:

Miles on car when can first installed:

Are you running clean side separator in addition to catch can or not:

Type of can/setup:

Amount of miles run since last clean out/empty of can:

Amount of fluid in can for this report:

Makeup of fluid in can ( oily/water, oil,etc):

Type driving in this report % city, %highway, %track

Comment section:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Year of car: 2014

Date of manufacture: 11/14/13

Z51 or base: Z51

Total miles on car: 3400

Miles on car when can first installed: 3200

Are you running clean side separator in addition to catch can or not: E2 3 port with clean air separator

Type of can/setup: Elite Engineering

Amount of miles run since last clean out/empty of can: 0

Amount of fluid in can for this report: Tba

Makeup of fluid in can ( oily/water, oil,etc): Tba

Type driving in this report % city, %highway, %track: 30% 65% 5%

Comment section: reserved for future use.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Date of manufacture: 5/2/14

Total miles on car: 1800

Miles on car when can first installed: 100

Are you running clean side separator in addition to catch can or not: Yes

Type of can/setup: Elite Engineering "better" setup

Amount of miles run since last clean out/empty of can: 1700 (this includes a road trip from portland Oregon to Los Angeles via pacific coast highway)

Amount of fluid in can for this report:

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1401912169.640632.jpg

Makeup of fluid in can ( oily/water, oil,etc): Oil

Type driving in this report % city, %highway, %track: 20/80/0

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Folks, I added another line item to the survey. The added data point asks for oil level on the sump tank dipstick. You can use upper level, mid point, or lower level of the dipstick hash marks.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

Date of manufacture: vin 3096

Z51 or base: Base

Total miles on car: 5850

Where do you keep your oil level as indicated by the dipstick in the sump tank: base car 50% of hash marks

Miles on car when can first installed: 5450

Are you running clean side separator in addition to catch can or not: no clean side sep

Type of can/setup: Elite "good" can

Amount of miles run since last clean out/empty of can: 400

Amount of fluid in can for this report: 1/3 tblspoon -see pic

Makeup of fluid in can ( oily/water, oil,etc): oil - not too black - but oil change 400 miles ago too

Type driving in this report % city, %highway, %track 100 pct city

Comment section: this after letting can drain for 10 min

·
Registered
503 Posts

Date of manufacture: 2-14-2014

Total miles on car: 5250

Where do you keep your oil level as indicated by the dipstick in the sump tank: Midway

Miles on car when can first installed: 3700

Are you running clean side separator in addition to catch can or not: Yes

Type of can/setup: RX dual valve

Amount of miles run since last clean out/empty of can: 746

Amount of fluid in can for this report: 1.5 Tablespoons

Type driving in this report 20% city,79 %highway,.05 %track

Comment section: Ran the car at the dragstrip - 4x 1/4 mile runs - Total oil capture to date approx. 2 to 2.5 Tablespoons - just an estimate until I get a better measuring device to accurately measure the oil.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

Date of manufacture: 5-16-2014

Z51 or base: Base

Total miles on car: 1005

Where do you keep your oil level as indicated by the dipstick in the sump tank: lower 1/2 or 1/3rd

Miles on car when can first installed: 399

Are you running clean side separator in addition to catch can or not: No

Type of can/setup: Elite "Good"

Amount of miles run since last clean out/empty of can: 606

Amount of fluid in can for this report: just under 1/2 oz, equal to 1 tablespoon, measured with graduated cylinder

Type driving in this report 60% aggressive suburbs/city, 37% highway, 3% "track" (5 sequential red-line events and aggressive driving in upper third of RPM band) :rolleyes:

Comment section: Clean side was checked, and is bone dry. Love this car!:D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yr: 2014

Mfg. 10/24/2013

Delivery-11/18/13

Z51

7750 miles

Oil level-1/3 to 12/

Install 7200

No Clean Side

Elite-good

Miles since install-500

1.5 tbsp.-oil

Just city-no red-line but occasional semi-aggressive acceleration

Note-if this is representative of the amount of oil puked into the can, then my motor has "eaten" about 21.6 tbsp. before I installed the catchcan. I would suggest doing this asap. 20140616_080843.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
View attachment 9039 Yr: 2014

Mfg. 03/2014

Delivery-picked from dealer 06/05

Z51- 7spd

1100 miles

Oil level-1/3 to 12/

Install 80miles

With Clean Side separator

Elite-best

Miles since install-1,020

Amount of oil: about 3/4 ounce

Mostlycity- heavy aggressive driving. Lots of full rev in first and wot

Note- some oil with the elite 2 can is still making its way through but it is trapping most of it. Would love to throw in the rx can and see if oil makes its way to coupler or catches more than an ounce over the next 1,000 miles

can-user-reports-image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Date of manufacture: 04/28/14

Z51 or base: base

Total miles on car: 1796

Miles on car when can first installed: 1796

Are you running clean side separator in addition to catch can or not:NO

Type of can/setup: Elite Engineering- Good

Amount of miles run since last clean out/empty of can: 0

Amount of fluid in can for this report: Tba

Makeup of fluid in can ( oily/water, oil,etc): Tba

Type driving in this report: 30% city, 70% highway

Comment section: reserved for future use.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts