Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who are currently in line to actually have your Z06 seven-speed coupe order be accepted at the next Z06 consensus, suggest you seriously consider/decide what options you are willing to compromise on to get your order accepted, and conversely, those which you will not.

Here is what I am repeatedly hearing from top dealers. GM did not expect a take rate of over 80% for the eight-speed automatic transmission. Consequently, dealers are working way, way down their Z06 priority list at a rate that is surprising to all of them, in order to fill their 7-speed manual transmission Z06 openings.

We believe the constraints on the A8's and the convertibles will last at least through this Thursday, and possibly/maybe until November 13th, thus allowing dealers to continue to temporarily skip past A8 and convertible orderers, to keep going down their lists to find those who want a manual transmission coupe Z06. Will not share specific numbers that I heard from a dealer this morning, but suffice to say that he (and other dealers) are going extra, extra deep into their Z06 priority list in order to identify those who want a coupe with a manual transmission, again temporarily bypassing all their higher Z06 priority list customers who want an A8 or a convertible.

How does this lead to the caution for manual coupe orderers?

When the next Z06 consensus opens up, and it is increasingly looking like that will be just three days from now, dealers will be re-contacting those who want a manual coupe, trying to match up their orders with the specific options that they have just been allocated.

Let us take a specific hypothetical example, and why I am encouraging everyone in this position to now think twice about what options they are willing to compromise on. Let us suppose that "customer A," whom we will nickname "Z06+" wants a black, stage two, with a carbon flash metallic aero package (CFZ), a visible carbon fiber roof (C2Z), and the carbon fiber instrument panel trim option (FAY). Of the remaining coupe manual customers on her dealer's Z06 priority list, Z06+ is the fourth name on the list (she was number 94 on that dealer's original list, which for this specific dealer, has 85% A8 customers). The dealer is told this next consensus that he has been allocated, five (5) Z06's, with the following TOTAL options: 2 Z07; 2 CFV; 3 CFZ; 2 C2Z; and, 4 FAY. Customers "NRB Z06", "YellowFlash," and "Z Rocket" are all ahead customer "Z06+" on the dealer's Z06 priority list. By the time that the three higher-priority customers have their orders met, there is, sorry, no C2Z available for "Z06+," though all of her other options are available.

Should "Z06+" compromise, for C2Z is a high priority for her, and buying one later from either the GM parts counter, from another of our forum members, or elsewhere is an expensive proposition? "Z06+" decides, for she has thought about this for a long time, "No compromise!!! Please resubmit my order the next consensus, when I know I will then be your highest priority manual transmission coupe customer."

Smart decision???

The next consensus after the one we are talking about could come as early as just ten days away, then again not for up to an additional month. What if, the next consensus after Z06+ made this "no compromise" decision, GM opens up the "A8 and the convertible order gates." If this were to happen, all the roughly 80, A8 folks who were temporarily were behind "Z06+", would jump past her in that dealership's Z06 priority ordering list. Consequently, "Z06+"'s order might not now go in for six more months.

Sorry, but felt I needed to point out this possible reality for all facing this potential set of circumstances.

Manual transmission Z06 customers next in line, please think about these potential circumstances/choices now, before your dealership calls you. (My "will not compromise on list" two weeks before September 18th had six options, but the night before, that list had dwindled to one -- and I knew that I would even compromise on my Spectra Gray wheels if I had to make that last second decision).

Good luck to you all. May none of you need to compromise!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thank you John! This reinforces my understanding of how this whole process works. I don't believe that there is a great deal of fairness built into this procedure. Dealers will hold back specific options to favored clients and those orders that are more profitable to the dealership as a whole. This is still an invaluable bit of information for those of us whose orders are still waiting for the dealer allocation to be given to us.
I go over my options time and again, but it is hard to prepare myself to compromise, unless I'm really willing to compromise on everything.
My dealer tells me that the very next Z they're offered is mine. I'll just keep faith that my car will be very close to what I've dreamt about, but be ready to concede when and if I need to.
Derik

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wonder how long people will wait in frustration before they drop to another car ie. GTR or 911 Turbo. Chevy has not planned for demand apparently and that is not good PR.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every one of at least the top five dealers does not treat customers differentially. They take them in order that they were signed up, received deposits, etc. In fact, one, just today, turned down $5,000, to move a person up the list. There are hundreds of other dealers who similarly have integrity and ethics.

Was just asked by PM, if my original post applied to those at status 3000? Absolutely not, only to those who have yet to have their orders entered into GM's WorkBench system and to those who are status 1100.

Anyone can move to any other manufacturer at any time because they are tired of waiting, but let us not forget that GM exceeded its publicly-stated, delivery deadline commitments on both the StingRay coupe and later the StingRay convertible. And GM was openly candid as far back at January, stating that there would be carbon-fiber and carbon-ceramic brake constraints, i.e., GM knew from the beginning that demand would far exceed its suppliers' ability to make complex to manufacture parts.

Yes, some Z06 customers will have to wait for months, and that those recently or just now expressing interest may have to wait until the 2016 MY. The Z06 is hot!!! This is the same issue, same consequence for the StingRay one year ago.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Prepare to be totally frustrated if you want to buy one of the hottest cars in the world, never been any different in the industry.....

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am sure that the majority of dealers maintain a very high level of business integrity and work with every client to assure that they get everything they want in their special order car. My new dealer was charging $20k over list to get a car in their first allocation. They wanted $10k over for the second allocation, $5k> for the third, and they would sell any remaining cars at list thereafter. They made an exception for me because the local dealer I was originally working with, where my name was on the list since January, went sideways on me. I guess I'm a bit paranoid now. I thought that I had a deal all cinched up back in January, and when allocations were given, my original dealer got greedy. I had to start all over again in Sept. and now feel a little vulnerable. I will be positive though and make sound choices that won't bump me to the bottom of the pecking order.
Derik

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hello,all. Newbie here. I placed my order with my dealer about 2 weeks ago. A torch red with competition seats, jet blk int, std wheels and Z07 pkg with ground effects. I am first on his list. Manual tran. Coupe.

I called my dealer yesterday and he told me the order was "picked up" by GM, but couldn't tell me anything else.

Is there anyway anyone else could find out where I am with this order.? I'm not sure what the numbers mean, but it sounds like "3000" is a good place to be. Can anyone here help? It's Jeff Schmidt chev. In Fairborn, Ohio.

Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Your dealer should of provided you with a copy of the Order Workbench which has a trackable order number. You can input that order number at the Chevrolet Order tracking web page to see the status of your order.
Derik

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
FORGET THE ORDER NUMBER:you can have an order number and it just means the dealer is going to his computer and told GM that he would like a car, it does not mean you have a car. Read on… You're looking for the actual production code.your dealer can tell you anytime what you code is...codes listed here in sticky thread....you should at the time of consummation of the deal tell him you want the code via email every monday morning or you'll take that in account when you do the delivery survey...guaranteed that will get his attention...it's big $$ to him if you burn him…

go ask the dealer every monday for this report called the gm workbench report. You don't have any car being built FOR YOU until this report says 2000 in the red circle:

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks John.....You talkin to me???

·
Registered
127 Posts
Every one of at least the top five dealers does not treat customers differentially. They take them in order that they were signed up, received deposits, etc. In fact, one, just today, turned down $5,000, to move a person up the list. There are hundreds of other dealers who similarly have integrity and ethics.

Was just asked by PM, if my original post applied to those at status 3000? Absolutely not, only to those who have yet to have their orders entered into GM's WorkBench system and to those who are status 1100.

Anyone can move to any other manufacturer at any time because they are tired of waiting, but let us not forget that GM exceeded its publicly-stated, delivery deadline commitments on both the StingRay coupe and later the StingRay convertible. And GM was openly candid as far back at January, stating that there would be carbon-fiber and carbon-ceramic brake constraints, i.e., GM knew from the beginning that demand would far exceed its suppliers' ability to make complex to manufacture parts.

Yes, some Z06 customers will have to wait for months, and that those recently or just now expressing interest may have to wait until the 2016 MY. The Z06 is hot!!! This is the same issue, same consequence for the StingRay one year ago.

I ordered a 1LZ manual with Nav & comp seats and I am hoping I can order the carbon flash metallic aero package (CFZ) through a GM parts distributer. John I agree that the carbon-fiber parts will be on constraints all through-out the year. The Z is very hot with long waiting list, If the car exceeds journalist expectations expect list to grow. I still believe GM is at the mercy of their vendors and will be limited on how many Z they can produce in a year, with one being the carbon-fiber Torque tube manufacture.

·
Registered
385 Posts
John, thanks again for this insightful and very useful information. As I wait to advance my own order I have made a mental note of my bottom line. As we have noticed the stumbling block is primarily most things "carbon". It might be useful if known by some experienced folks such as you, the approximate cost and source of those items that are practical and may be added after after getting the car, carbon interior items, ground effect parts, CC brakes, and so forth. I went through this process when ordering our sailboat from France. Some things made more sense (mechanically/financially) to add after delivery.

Jose

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
As requested, here is some partial info on costs for carbon fiber options not purchased after the time of original order. This is a complex issue, with many unknowns, and information still issuing. Will therefore have to do this piecemeal.

First, the carbon fiber interior trim piece, option "FAY."

Price when you buy the car is $995. You can buy it from a GM dealer for as little as $540. Rimrock Chevrolet in Laurel, Montana, is located in a town of 6912 folks, may have the lowest overhead of any Corvette dealership in America. Ask for Bob Wendorff, and please mention StingRay Forums.

Installation by a Chevy dealership is estimated at approximately $350-$400, though an ambitious person could do this project themselves for free, though lots of courage will be needed to undertake this task after seeing the following video:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Once again, Thanks. This has been archived for future use. Next might be a source for the ground effect components around the sill if they should suddenly become difficult to get.

Thank again,

Jose

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is really difficult to make accurate cost-based decisions on visible carbon fiber aero options, primarily because GM has not yet given us pricing of those options on a parts counter basis. We know that if you were to buy the CFV option package at the time you purchase a new Z06, option (CFV), it would cost $3,995. Judging by some other GM parts, it is highly unlikely you will be able to buy a GM visible carbon fiber front splitter and side skirts from a Chevrolet dealer's parts counter for less then $5,000, probably much more.

Thankfully, we have several form vendors who produce extremely high class, very high quality, extremely good looking, composite, carbon flash painted, and/or visible carbon fiber aero components. Give the websites of each of these dealers a look and you'll get an idea as to what their composite, carbon flash metallic, and visible carbon fiber aero components cost from these high-quality vendors (presented in alphabetical order).

ACS Composite;

American Hydrocarbon;

Lashaway Motorsports;

LG Motorsports;

WeaponXMotorsports.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts