Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2 options that have been discussed most here are the aluminum piece that snaps on the passenger L.H. grab bar (which fits between the seams) and the holder which fits into the cigarette lighter. What i wanted was a mounting surface which would accept both my LG V20 phone and my Zumo 660LM. I bought this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072VGDDC8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 It works for my purposes. It doesn't interfere with the lighter popping open and it's not unsightly with nothing mounted.

Vette phone plate.jpgRESZZZIZED.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had mine on the grab bar but have since moved it to the thin plastic trip above the top-right screen. Easier to see the screen while driving and doesn't block anything but hazards button. I couldn't stand it by the grab handle because it made turning the climate speed knob a pain.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2 options that have been discussed most here are the aluminum piece that snaps on the passenger L.H. grab bar (which fits between the seams) and the holder which fits into the cigarette lighter. What i wanted was a mounting surface which would accept both my LG V20 phone and my Zumo 660LM. I bought this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072VGDDC8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 It works for my purposes. It doesn't interfere with the lighter popping open and it's not unsightly with nothing mounted.

Removed the original plastic mounting surface and replaced with this Stainless Steel mounting pad. The larger diameter (3 3/8 ") keeps the cigar lighter from popping up. Incidentally, the plastic plate removed easily, without marking the vinyl. Heated with a hair dryer and slid some 20# test fish line underneath

Attachments

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
27 Posts

Removed the original plastic mounting surface and replaced with this Stainless Steel mounting pad. The larger diameter (3 3/8 ") keeps the cigar lighter from popping up. Incidentally, the plastic plate removed easily, without marking the vinyl. Heated with a hair dryer and slid some 20# test fish line underneath
Here is my solution. I used the ProClip base and mounted a RAM mount ball, 1” arm, and Universal X-Grip to it. It is extremely secure which is good as I plan on using it while on track. Also, it accepts both my wife’s iPhone 8 and my 8 Plus with no issues. I got the adapter and cord from the Big A as well. The adapter is flush to allow the pop up door to close without removing it and the cord is short enough to just plug into the phones. Not a cheap solution but worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
This expandable bracket can hold an iPhone 6+, and now it hold an iPhone X. It clips to the cig lighter lid. IMG_2663.jpg
phone covers the “button” until needed ; )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why is this needed? Just plug the phone into the port behind the screen, put the phone in and close the screen then you can use Android Auto to access Maps, Waze, music, podcasts and more. Works great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why is this needed? Just plug the phone into the port behind the screen, put the phone in and close the screen then you can use Android Auto to access Maps, Waze, music, podcasts and more. Works great.
2 reasons. 1) Waze is not compatible with apple CarPlay, so if you want to use it and own a iPhone, CarPlay won’t provide thy functionality. 2) CarPlay still isn’t perfect. I find that on occasion it doesn’t launch the apps properly and it necessitates me closing them on the phone.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
2 reasons. 1) Waze is not compatible with apple CarPlay, so if you want to use it and own a iPhone, CarPlay won’t provide thy functionality. 2) CarPlay still isn’t perfect. I find that on occasion it doesn’t launch the apps properly and it necessitates me closing them on the phone.
And, 2014 and 2015 Corvette's don't have Android Auto or CarPlay. We also might want to look at our phone for some other reason while stopped at a traffic light.

Reactions: StingRayJon

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Waking up an old thread...

Has anyone had any other good luck with the lighter mounted cell phone solution? Seems like the best place for out of the way and accessible. Some come with USB charge ports as well which is convenient, but some look cheap. Not seeing the Kenu out there.

TIA

PS: Would the air vent mount work for the vent just to the right of the dash? It is small vent so i wasn't certain.

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
Waking up an old thread...

Has anyone had any other good luck with the lighter mounted cell phone solution? Seems like the best place for out of the way and accessible. Some come with USB charge ports as well which is convenient, but some look cheap. Not seeing the Kenu out there.

TIA

PS: Would the air vent mount work for the vent just to the right of the dash? It is small vent so i wasn't certain.
I have used the Kenu Airframe mount (still available from Amazon) on RedHot both on the accessory door in the center consul and the air vent without any issues.

Reactions: Racer_X

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cant find a photo of mine (at work so cant remember the name of it or take a pic). But its basically a vent mount, magnetic. Little metal plate goes in back of phone case. No need to mess with the "arms", it just sits right on and is held by a magnet. The vent grip on the back fits perfectly on the cigarette housing when its up, and the phone covers it. out of the way of shifting, etc.
heres an example of one I found online.

wizgear-magnetic-car-mount.jpg

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Just remember, the lower your phone is, the further you have to take your eyes off the road to see it, and the longer your eyes are off the road. If it's just a place to hold it while you're not using it, that doesn't matter. But if you want to look at maps while driving, the higher it is the safe it is.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Banned
22 Posts
I had mine on the grab bar but have since moved it to the thin plastic trip above the top-right screen. Easier to see the screen while driving and doesn't block anything but hazards button. I couldn't stand it by the grab handle because it made turning the climate speed knob a pain.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I just drop it in the cup holder :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts