Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

Anyone out there have any recommendations on ceramic brake pads for the Z51 models? I looking for low dust mostly street use pads.

Thanks for any and all help.

Rich

·
Registered
419 Posts
I second this! Definitely getting tired of cleaning my wheels after 5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
Few years back, I changed to ceramics on the GS, dustup was almost the same and a brownish orange color coated the wheels and stained the tires. I think it's a problem we have to live with. There are spray coatings you can apply to slow the dust accumulation, IMO it's a waste. If you drive and brake a lot, no getting away from it. To cut back on the dusting, I downshift a lot.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I put ceramic pads on my C4 front brakes looking for a performance gain. They caused a very annoying level of brake squeal, and ended up destroying the rotors (grooves and warping). They were also plenty dusty.

I replaced the rotors and pads with OE hardware, which has been noise and problem free since.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have had Carbon Ceramic rotors and pads and found that the noise level was completely unacceptable for street use. I also realized at the time that they were not intended for street use alone. These were on my ZR1. (note; future Z06 owners) I am prepared to do whatever is requidred to keep my Z51 wheels clear of dust but I don't think there is a complete answer for the problem. Less use of the brake is about the only way to cut back and a handy swiffer in the back is another. Quick and easy to use at the end of each day gets one to the next wash.;)

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Hawk ceramic pads will be out shortly. I run them on a lot of my client's cars and they're a very popular choice.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I think what compounds to the brake dust accumulation so much on the z51 is that the z51 has the air blades that direct air from the inside out to keep the brakes cool and the standard coupe does not get so much dust because they do not have these air blades. Same goes with the C4, C5 and C6....

·
Registered
810 Posts
I always thought ceramics were for police/taxi heavy duty use vehicles. Always heard they were noisy.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Hawk ceramic pads will be out shortly. I run them on a lot of my client's cars and they're a very popular choice.
Hawk ceramics worked great on the SRT and many of my Porsche friends swear by them.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
896 Posts
For the noise, there are 2 good options to choose:

– PERMATEX Ceramic Extreme Brake Pads Lubricant, to apply on the pads back. It last 4-5000 km, depending of the way you push on the brakes...

- 3M is making a very good product also, sold under different brands. It's a self adhesive piece of thin black plastic, to put on the back of the pad. It works amazingly and I never had any noise even using Carbotech XP20 which is a fantastic pad but very noisy normally...

In most of the cases the noise comes when the pads are too agressive when used in low temperatures conditions for which they are not suitable, if you push hard on the brakes for 4-5 times successively, the noise stops for a while.

Reactions: weaponX

·
Registered
755 Posts
In further reply to my previous auotes on theis thread, I would like to say that I found a washing wond that fit between the spokes and between the calipers and wheels that makes it real easy to clean the inside of the wheel and bring the beauty of the wheel out. I will post a photo of it soon as it is not with me at the moment. It is made of the same material as most wash mits and has a fine netting material on the back side of it. Works great and easy to use. 2 minutes max per wheel. Most you probably have one or something similar.

Photos of what I AM talking about. Some may allready have one or something similar but it is just great for me and I know others would find it so. Cost is less than $10 Cdn. The product name on the handle is "SIMONIZ".

IMG_20140727_100708.jpg IMG_20140727_100635.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the Carbotech "Bobcat" ceramic pads on our Z51. It's a pretty straight-forward job.

I had first used them on our C6 Z06 several years ago and liked how they performed as well as the significant reduction in dusting. An added benefit is that the material they use is non-corrosive.

Rich

C7 Brake Pad Install - Drivers Rear Complete (1024x768).jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is an amazing color... could you post some pictures with the wheels?
I installed the Carbotech "Bobcat" ceramic pads on our Z51. It's a pretty straight-forward job.

I had first used them on our C6 Z06 several years ago and liked how they performed as well as the significant reduction in dusting. An added benefit is that the material they use is non-corrosive.

Rich

View attachment 10541

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Who painted your rotors? How was it done? that looks nice

·
Registered
755 Posts
Great look and I am curious as to the amount if any noise that they amitted if any. I had a ZR1 that was unbelivable when it came to noise.

STUNG...........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who painted your rotors? How was it done? that looks nice
I painted the rotors myself. I have information and pictures of how I went about it and can send them to anyone interested. Just send me an e-mail at: [email protected]

Below is one picture of the rear wheel installed.

Rich

C7 Wheel Install - Pass Rear (1024x768).jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts