Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My opinion is BEFORE. My brother in law says AFTER. Before you answer remember "opinions are like brothers in law - everyone has one"!

·
Administrator
15,036 Posts
Anecdotally the opinions lean towards doing it before you put it away since the used oil has contaminants and traces of water in it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've always done it with all of my cars coming out of hibernation is when I change the oil and even then the amount of miles I put in from May - November is small because it is not a daily driver.

One of my cars, a 2002 Lexus SC430, I change the oil every two years as my wife probably puts 3-5k annually over the last 10 years and 17 years later is one of my all time favorite cars that runs and feels like it did since coming off the assembly line.

It currently has about 98k miles and only thing ever done to it was oil change, brake pads, and new tires and it is in perfect condition. I don't recall not one single mechanical repair once so ever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before, always before. As stated above used oil has contaminants including acids in it. Why would you want that in your engine all winter while it is storage?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I guess at the end of the day based on my experiences of many cars four of which have been corvettes that were stored in the winter.

I have never had one iota of a problem which tells me that whether you change prior to going into storage or coming out of storage doesn't have any significant if any impacts on anything.

I do think that there are people that look at the worse case scenario of what could possibly happen where there are others of look at things that it likely won't happen or have a negative consequence.

People have different thresholds when assessing risk and taking things literally vs figuratively. In my mind, any well taken care of vehicle I would think it would be hard to find anyone that would say that they ruined or caused problems because they didn't changed oil before going into storage.

I will make one caveat, if you are putting in some serious miles during the time the car is out of storage then it might and should warrant a change if you had put lets say 6 -10k miles. But someone like me, if it isn't nice and sunny, I don't drive the car as some would say its a garage queen or that I drive my daily driver around as I am on the road locally a lot. For a driving season, I will put a maximum of 2500 miles before going back into storage and you can't tell me that off a fresh oil change and 2500 miles that the oil life has a level of contaminants that is dangerous to the call.

At the end of the day, some are more extreme or cautious then others and have various risk tolerance levels but when it is all said and done, whatever decision anyone makes with what they do, they are responsible of the outcomes so do as one feels and it's all good.

I go back to my my post that reads: "One of my cars, a 2002 Lexus SC430, I changed the oil every two years and 17 years later is one of my all time favorite cars that runs and feels like it did since coming off the assembly line. It currently has about 98k miles and only thing ever done to it was oil change, brake pads, and new tires and it is in perfect condition. So contaminants didn't destroy the car! :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I always change the oil before I put the car up for the winter, but I would imagine that it really makes no difference when as long as you are doing it once a year. I drive the car about 5,000 miles a year, put it upon the lift about Nov 1 and take it down about April 1. The one thing I have to remember to do in the Spring is reset the oil life monitor to 100% so I do't get annoying message mid year. It is usually down to about 60% by the time I start it up for the first time in April. ---Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
The oil is sitting in the pan or the dry oil sump system. I asked this last year and stored it and changed the oil after bringing it out of hibernation. The engineers did say that It should be stored with less then 1/4 tank of gas as the sensors are low in the tank. If its full the sensors are coated with sulfur for 4-6 months and could mess up the fuel gauge system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts