Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my black z51 at the end of January. I just noticed the other day that the plastic panel just behind the front wheels below the rocker panel seems to be warped in the center hanging down slightly on
both sides of my car. I was at my dealership yesterday and looked at 2 new available z51 convertibles and both have the same issue. One of them was only on the driver side and the other was on both sides. I asked the service manager who was unaware of this being an issue. He contacted chevy to see if there was an internal notice and was told there wasn't. I am wondering if anyone else has the same issue since I have seem it on 3 vettes so far , 2 being brand new unsold cars. May be worth a look to anyone out there. So bend over and look just behind the front wheels below the leading front edge of the rocker panel. Please let us know if you have the same issue....

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Can you post a picture of this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know what you are talking about it hangs down just a little bit right?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I wonder if this could be caused by someone improperly jacking the car up and damaging the panel itself?

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
RedHot's panels are totally flat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car has never been on a lift as far as I know. The other 2 I saw with the same issue were still sitting on the dealers showroom floor. All 3 are from the same dealership so perhaps they are putting them on a lift when the prep them....any others out there with this same issue ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just cked my stingray I picked up yesterday and mine is just fine. Hope you get it taken care of. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Can we get another picture of the same area of a car that is considered to be fine so we can compare them? Jeff?

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
Can we get another picture of the same area of a car that is considered to be fine so we can compare them? Jeff?
as soon as there is a break in the Red Wings game I will take a shot and post it.:)

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
Here you go, I tried to match his photo as close as possible:

P1060767.jpg
P1060768.JPG
P1060769.jpg
P1060770.jpg
P1060771.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine were fine when I picked it up, after 1300 miles both sides are hanging down where you could notice it. I took them off and reformed them with a heat gun but they will droop again over time I bet. No use replacing them until they come out with a revised part, it needs a stiffening rib or something..

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I wonder what's underneath it? A small self tapping screw with a fender washer would clean that up if there's something under it for the screw to bite into.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wonder what's underneath it? A small self tapping screw with a fender washer would clean that up if there's something under it for the screw to bite into.

Nothing really there, the fender on the bottom has just a small step where that fits in, nothing to get a screw into. Its just a wide open space above where it droops, just a poo poo design, I'm sure it will get fixed in newer production. I've seen quite a few with them hanging down.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I wonder if that maybe some sort of drain for inside of the inner fender area? Years ago they used to design a reverse loover along & under the frame rails to do the same thing. I remember checking them to make sure they did not plug up with sand and dirt etc. This is just a thought after looking at the photo. Next time you wash your car check and see if water trickles out of the bent area of the warpped or curved cap. It is in the right area to do something like that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts