Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 c7 z51 convertible
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!
I just got c7 and noticed under very light load at maybe 5% throttle I get a annoying chatter noise that sounds like the Ac belt tensioners used to do on the early model LS Tahoes. I can keep the noise constant and steady with just the right amount of throttle. No DTC set or anything and runs excellent otherwise. When forced out of v4 it’s goes away.
Could this be the lifters or a tensioners as it’s sounds? Very annoying

·
Registered
16 c7 z51 convertible
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Howdy!
I just got c7 and noticed under very light load at maybe 5% throttle I get a annoying chatter noise that sounds like the Ac belt tensioners used to do on the early model LS Tahoes. I can keep the noise constant and steady with just the right amount of throttle. No DTC set or anything and runs excellent otherwise. When forced out of v4 it’s goes away.
MUST NOTE
only when in v4 mode it does this

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,361 Posts
Your engine is telling you...."stay out of 4 cylinder, I'm a Corvette, it's not good for me".......of course a little "tongue in cheek" here. I'd get some chatter early on, replaced the serpentine belt with a Gates HD belt, no more chatter.
Since I have an A8, as far as the 4 cylinder mode, eliminated that by installing an AFM Disabler by Range, no more 8-4, 4-8 back and forth mode, stays in 8 cylinder all the time.
And as far as fuel savings to me, hardly none by using the 4 cylinder mode.

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
Welcome to our forum SharkNaRay and congrats on your Z51 Vert. It is possible that the belt tensioner is going. A number of early C7s did have that issue. It could also be related to your exhaust flaps.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Howdy!
Sounds like the belt tensioner. My wife’s ‘14 Stingray had that replaced last spring with about 26K miles. Same symptoms as you described.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts