Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scheduled for Nov 19, 2021 Chevy MyWay: Corvette Expert Sessions will air a video on their recommendations for Winterization. The days are getting shorter and colder. Wondering where to store your battery in the winter? Or how to avoid flat spots? Watch as Chevy Experts take you through oil changes, battery maintenance, and everything you need to know to prepare your Corvette for the winter.

Reactions: MCmadness

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did the recommendation about storing Corvettes with the fuel tank only 1/4 full apply only to C7's (and I think C5's and C6's)? Because this video makes it clear that it does not apply to C8's.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,695 Posts
I think at the end of the day it’s the recommendation but not an exact science. I have two cars that I store over the winter and I typically have anywhere between 1/4 - 3/4 tank of gas and on average probably around 1/2 tank. Typically, wherever the gas level is when winter hit that’s what it gets stored with. In summary, storing two cars including C4 - C7 every year close to 40 years have never had a problem but that’s my experience.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks, Kyle; this is reassuring. We've put over 93,000 miles on our 8 year-old C7 and I used to fill it up whenever we got home from a trip (we took many). Since reading about the sulfur on the fuel level sensor I've no longer filled it when getting home, but sometimes it was well over 1/4 full for several weeks between trips, causing me mild anxiety!

However, we don't "store" it in winter (even though we live in the Denver area). I've always tried to drive our cars 10-15 miles every 30 days if they were otherwise not driven. But I'm not confident that's enough - people's ideas on that issue are highly variable. Do you have an opinion please, Kyle?

Of course we use Battery Tenders too (we replaced our original battery just a month or two ago, at nearly 8 years old, and it was still good). Thanks! bob

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,695 Posts
I would say look at it this way, my two cars along with millions of others that stores cars over the snowy winter months sits with only a battery tender from December to March and not driven and come April they crank right up and no problems.

Thanks, Kyle; this is reassuring. We've put over 93,000 miles on our 8 year-old C7 and I used to fill it up whenever we got home from a trip (we took many). Since reading about the sulfur on the fuel level sensor I've no longer filled it when getting home, but sometimes it was well over 1/4 full for several weeks between trips, causing me mild anxiety!

However, we don't "store" it in winter (even though we live in the Denver area). I've always tried to drive our cars 10-15 miles every 30 days if they were otherwise not driven. But I'm not confident that's enough - people's ideas on that issue are highly variable. Do you have an opinion please, Kyle?

Of course we use Battery Tenders too (we replaced our original battery just a month or two ago, at nearly 8 years old, and it was still good). Thanks! bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts