Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you located in the North/Northwestern burbs of Chicago, where have you had the best experience for having you car serviced?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think all Chevy (and other american make) dealers can be a bit iffy (compared to, say, BMW dealers) but generally the three in my general area have all done a good job for me. Never had a problem with any but I go to different ones for different reasons. I ordered my Z06 from the Chevy Exchange in Lake Bluff partly because I know a number of their employees from my years of ZR-1s (parts) and working nearby at Knauz BMW for several years, Plus they are closest to me. They have at least one experienced Corvette tech named David (known as "Vid" to differentiate him from another David there). Vid is a good guy and Corvette-knowledgeable; they have mainly done a few warranty items and oil changes. Good Service advisor Rick Eggan. I don't think the Chevy Exchange sells as many Vettes as Libertyville Chevrolet (formerly Bernard) or Stasek Chevrolet in Wheeling. I think Stasek is the biggest Corvette dealer in the area and they do sell a lot of Vettes and service a lot. Libertyville also sells quite a few and has a separate Corvette/Chevy Performance Center run by a guy named Kevin Paddock. He has been in the Corvette/Chevy world at Bernard and Libertyville for many years and is very experienced and a good guy. He was one of the rare ZR-1 trained techs in the '90s and worked on my ZR-1s then. His performance shop is a separate building attached to the main service area. He is the guy to talk to about Corvette issues.He installed my side skirts and I brought my car to Libertyville for the transmission triple flush because they had done more than the Chevy Exchange; two were up on lifts for the same thing when I brought mine in. Good service advisor named Arthur, whom you probably would have to go through to make an appointment with Kevin. Kevin is usually quite busy but if you happen to be over there you can usually talk with Kevin if he is there. I have only used Stasek once because they are the farthest from me, but my experience there with an alignment tech named Chad was excellent. Very experienced and has been there many years; good service advisor name Richie as well. I went to Stasek for an alignment after getting new tires because Libertyville does not have a digital angle gauge and stubbornly refuses to buy one. Stasek has one. Chevy Exchange said they have one but I concluded that Stasek does many more alignments than they do, so I went for the experience factor. Chad walked me out to the car in the middle of the alignment to show me why he couldn't get exactly to the specs I had given him; I appreciated that. Lastly, for tire mounting and balancing, I wanted a shop that had both a Hunter Road Force Elite balancer and a Hunter Revolution wheel changer because our Z06 wheels are so hard to change. I believe that for our Z06 wheels Chevy Exchange subs them out (may be wrong). Libertyville does them in house and claims they do a great job, which I can't argue with. But while they have a Hunter Road Force balancer, they do not have a Hunter Revolution tire changer and won't invest in one ($30k). I don't know about Stasek and did not check with them. Through Hunter I located a Firestone store in Deerfield (Deerfield Firestone) that had both and they did an excellent job on my new Michelin A/S 3+ZPs that I had shipped in from TireRack ($124 to mount and balance all four). I watched the tech mount and balance one wheel on the machine; very impressive and fairly quick. I bought tires from Tire Rack because while they are a Tire Rack recommend installer, as a Firestone dealer they said they couldn't get the best prices on Michelins. I recommend them for our big wheels and tires. Hope that helps--Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts