Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chip Foose presents some interesting design thoughts on the C8, focusing on his feel that it should have been more consistent with all prior design years. Whether you agree or not with his final preliminary redesign, I believe you'll find his thought process intriguing.

Reactions: Spyder#99

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,020 Posts
I like a lot of what Chip does, but this is awful.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough. As with many similar things, Zymurgy, art/design/creativity is uniquely perceived by each individual and hence whether or not they find it appealing.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
Hyper Camaro-ish looking, that's what I see, fine for some, and not for others.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
847 Posts
I think Foose is a very talented designer and brings up some good points and I don't think his rendition is all that bad IMO.

The C8 isn't a bad design but it just doesn't spark any emotion with me that I lust for one.

The two biggest things for me with the C8 is the parts bin Camaro rear-end design, the air intake cladding aka Boomerang is not integrated into the design but looks like an afterthought or tack on. Also, the truncated front end seems to end to abruptly and lost the sweeping lines and curvature known to corvettes which gives the C8 a weird symmetry.

Whenever I see a C8 it catches my attention and makes me turn and look but I would then say that I like it but don't love it. It's an excellent value-based sports car performance wise and I think the revisions or newer C8 models will address some of the design shortcomings that always comes with first editions and then that will take it from good to great.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
847 Posts
Like anything everyone has different feelings about color, design etc and doesn't make one better than another and not a criticism but an observation and it's just a preference because individuals are not monolithic in thought, design, color preference or other things…

This guy likes his C8 but enjoy driving his C7 Z06 more but it's subjective and he has the nice option to switch up ...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Okay. I liked it a lot. Agree as others have about Foose. A very talented man . I happen to agree with him. The C8 is a great car but his rendering , in my opinion made it better. And I happen to agree with his feelings about the drastic change from prior generations. Corvette has always been a "special" automobile to me and countless others and the C8 while a great car seems to have perhaps lost the connection to the past. And I know there is a strong argument for advancing the brand and I appr4eciate that as well.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a new owner of a C8, I couldn't disagree more with his take.
This new car is something, very, very special. Better than imagined. Wherever I go, it draws a crowd. Men turn into boys and boys eyes just light up. It think it is beautiful.
If it doesn't move you, drive one.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
As a new owner of a C8, I couldn't disagree more with his take.
This new car is something, very, very special. Better than imagined. Wherever I go, it draws a crowd. Men turn into boys and boys eyes just light up. It think it is beautiful.
If it doesn't move you, drive one.
I know what you mean, I still get that as well with my 2016 Z06, the looks, the comments, the thumbs ups. Corvettes are just fantastic cars. It's a treat to drive, even during inclement weather, it's still pleasant to drive.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I think Chip Foose is spot-on here. That rear air intake for the engine is definitely my least favorite part of the C8.

I saw one driving through town today in a 35 MPH zone. I lost interest in looking long before the car was out of my field of view.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMHO, this design would throw off the balance of the mid engine. With all due respect to Chip Foose, keep it the way it is!

·
Registered
60 Posts
That rear air intake for the engine is definitely my least favorite part of the C8.
Agreed 100%. Those hideous scoops ruin any flow the car may have had...it looks as though two cars were glued together right there. Add in
all of the unnecessary "origami project gone horribly wrong" folds, the Camaro-on-steroids rear end and I'll take Foose's redesign every time.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder! If you all remember, there was lots of teeth gnashing when the C7 first came out as well! So, change always engenders heartburn in some enthusiastic communities. Personally, I will keep my 2015 Z51 only because I ordered it to my wishes and it drives just great with the manual 7-speed. I would consider a C8 but not with only the DCT (although I am sure it is great trans). But I have see some on the road and think the C8 is a great looking car. Maybe not perfect in all respects (is IS a little busy on details) but I think it still looks like a Corvette. Foose did a nice job but I am pretty sure his would not pass production requirements. So, in summary, if you don't like the looks, don't buy the car! I still think it is fantastic that Chevy did so well on this redesign, both mechanically and physically and we should all be glad to have such an option if we want it! Just my two cents!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The powers to be at GM would be wise to listen to Foose. I find it interesting that many on this forum think Foose is wrong. There is no right and wrong. Chip's point is the Corvette should be evolutionary, and he has offered quite a few great ideas that capture the evolution of the brand. Those of you that are current owners that are critical of Foose, need to re-read your comments. You talk about performance, handling, head turning power, and the ability to draw a crowd. None of that has anything to with the alternative designs Foose created. Many are critical of the Camaro-like rear end, or the "slabby" nature of the rear design. Chip offered a alternative that captured some of the traditional C-7 rear design that uniquely morphed into the C-8. The "boomerang" is distinctive, but it does appear to almost be an after thought. Thank goodness one can order it in body color to lesson that effect. The nice thing is, in a few years, some of these suggestions may appear in newer versions. After all, removing the split window and eliminating the fake hood vent grilles in '64 seemed to improve the C-2- anything is probable and possible.

·
Registered
2017 Admiral Blue Stingray Coupe 3LT
4 Posts
I think the best line is "It's a quick loose sketch, but..." I wish my loose sketches looked as good! An amazing talent whether or not you agree with him on this topic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts