Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished waxing the Chrome Z51 wheels...just the face is chromed which is Ok I guess...but the areas around the lug nuts are grey and not chromed...for $500 each they should be better...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I agree, these chrome rims that I did not get are a rip off IMO, in the 70's when I purchased chrome rims the whole wheel was chromed. These have plates that are attached as chrome, cheesy IMO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is the wave of the industry. My wife's 2011 Buick Enclave has chrome rims and they are manufactured the same way as the C7s. I did not like it at first, but now that I have had my C7 for some time, the grey finish on the inside of the wheel barrel hides the brake dust better between cleanings. Would I like to have had the option cheaper, yes. But I could say that for most of the options on my C7. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The wheels are not $500 each....rather, the upgrade is $500 each. Ridiculous for what you get.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Isn't it actually more expensive to chrome part of the wheel like that rather than the whole wheel? 2k just seems silly. You can get the base wheels chromed for $160-170 per wheel.

Jeff

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hello Prowlerowner etal:

I hear all of you and I do agree that the pricing of the partially chromed wheels is absolutely rediculous. Consider this, you buy the car with base wheels worth approx. $300.00 each. You order Chrome ones for approx. $2,000.00 and they take off the $300.00 ones & give you no credit for them. Now this suggestes to me that the Chrome ones are now worth $3200.00 They are saving the $1200.00 for the base wheels so it has to be included as part of your cost. I had to order a wheel for my ZR1 a couple of years ago and it was $2300.00 Cdn. for one wheel OEM. So now I must assume that a full set of Chrome wheels are worth $9200.00. hmmmmm What is wrong with this picture? Oh, also the wheel was made in Italy by the same people who make wheels for Farari and Lamborgini. Does this make ours that much more expensive because of it? I don't think so. By the by, the ZR1 wheel is also only partially chromed like the other wheels. I would like to think that this partially chroming of the wheels is a weight saver but I am not sure about that. Why don't they send the Z51wheels to the dealer as a Dealer Installed option like many other options and then you get two sets of wheels. One for scrubs and the others for show and shines or Concores. This would mean that to do it right you would theoretically have to order another set of tires to avoid mounting and dismounting tires on a regular basis. Silly idea? I think this is another chance for GM to make even more money off of us. I'm not too sure about that. Food for thought and just my own opinions which I am entitled to of course. It just never ends does it?

Regards:
STUNG:eek:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Stung - weight savings is minimal. I believe that chrome adds about 1/4 lb. to the weight of a wheel for full chrome. I understand less unsprung weight is critical for handling, but we are talking a small fraction of the overall wheel/tire weight. Not sure what the reason for partial chrome, unless it is perhaps to avoid having the chrome pit from trying to reach all the way back in the barrel to clean out the corrosive brake dust. Perhaps that is it? :confused:

Overall I think the base car is so aggressively priced, that they feel free to get some back on the options. Same with the roof selections. I guess I'd rather have it that way than if they added that price defference to the base car and made the options more reasonable. At least you can pay to play (or not) with the options the way they are now....

Jeff

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts Jeff. My thoughts were just that and I am not an expert for sure. You know, cleaning the wheels deep into the rim is not that difficult it is just a little time consuming and if you do it regularly it is not that bad. I have the blk. painted ones and it is easy to clean them.

STUNG:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts