Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,
I am seriously thinking (not 100% certain) about an opportunity that has been presented to me, therefore, postponing the purchase of the car.
Questions: 1) if I decide to postpone the purchase, meaning walk away from my current order already in production, does that mean I should kiss my initial deposit good bye?
2) or should I buy the car and resell it and, therefore, keep my relationship intact with my dealer, which may save me some money on my the next purchase?
3) or it doesn't really matter since the dealer will have a car ready to sell even at above MSRP?
4) or would one of you want to grab that beautiful baby at delivery?

Description: 3LT, Z51, AC White/Red interior, transparent roof, Perf. Exhaust, Mag. Ride, red calipers, Black mirrors and spoiler, painted silver wheels, and battery protection
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,656 Posts
Talk to your dealer, explain the situation and see what they say. With the market being hot you will learn a lot about their integrity and whether you really care about developing a relationship. They will either happily refund your deposit or hold your deposit until the car is sold if they have a shred of integrity. If they make ANY noise about keeping it they have shown their true colors so F**K 'EM and do what makes YOU whole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,418 Posts
It also depends on what state you are in, and what the laws are there. The bottom line is this: will they suffer because you backed out of the deal? If they will suffer, then you should expect they will keep some (or all, depending on various factors) of your deposit. On the other hand, if they find another buyer in a reasonable timeframe, then you have not hurt them, and you should get your deposit back.

Like Mark pointed out, the market is hot. They should not have a problem finding another buyer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,453 Posts
The only thing they would balk on refunding you is if it was a car that would sit as it's a goofy color combo.....so on a vette they won't keep it at all , is my guess....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,418 Posts
With white/red, it will almost sell itself...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...I gave them a call, the salesman didn't sound too happy. He said I would definitely lose my deposit, and by reading the lines, he is trying to pressure me in
accepting the car. According to him, the car was built to my taste, otherwise he would not have wasted his allocation (kind of bs).
The question is besides keeping my deposit, can they really force into accepting the car if I want to pull out of the deal? I am guessing no, but want to hear
what you guys have to say.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,418 Posts
In California, they legally cannot even keep your deposit unless they can show you somehow harmed them. Given how your order is for something in very high demand that they can sell to someone else, there is no way they can show harm. New York may or may not be different. I don't know.

What, exactly, did you sign when you put in your deposit? What does the contract (even if it is simple) say?

The salesman is unhappy because a different salesperson at the dealership may end up selling the car, and the other salesman will get the cut of the money instead of him. At the sales manager level, there should be less care that you are backing out. Also, since you are postponing instead of giving up on the purchase, the sales manager (and general manager) should want to work with you to keep you happy so your eventual purchase will be from them. Make sure the sales manager and general manager understand what has happened to cause you to postpone your purchase. They will not be happy about it (that allocation could have been used for someone else waiting in line instead of now ordering your configuration for stock), but it is not the end of the world for anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I feel lucky. The dealership I'm working with isn't even cashing the check for my deposit. They put it in the folder with the rest of the documentation I signed and told me it's 100% refundable until I take delivery. Granted, how I am equipping the car will make it very easy to sell. Sounds like an unhappy sales rep. I would guess the manager probably isn't even aware of the situation. If I was that sales person I'd be on the phone the minute you walked out the door calling my customers to let them know of another potential option since you cancelled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,418 Posts
^Ditto ===> lazy salesman whining instead of being willing to work for his commission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
Well like some folks said it comes down to what's on the contact you signed. It goes both ways, if you signed a contact to purchase the Corvette for $xxxxx and when it arrives the dealer says sorry the price is now $5000 more wouldn't you fight it using the contact you signed as your defense? Did you use a credit card? If so you can try and dispute it.

It's a Z51 car and I'm sure not a high volume dealership for them to say we can't sell it is bull. MacMulkin Chevy in NH would take it in a second from them.

You talked to the salesrep forget him he's not the decision maker, go talk to the Sales Manager. If he also says you will lose the deposit then offer him the option of holding onto it until they do sell it. Also ask him if you find another buyer would they refund it then start posting this car on other Stingray forums.

Where in the build is this at now? Have they even started building it? Because if the dealer is telling you it's custom built for you depending where it is in the build process they should be able to change the config to whatever they think will sell, again it's a Z51 car.

Don't give up that is what they are hoping you will do, be that squeaky wheel!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
Your combination sounds like something that could move really quickly with no problem. You could always take delivery, then advertise it on the internet and maybe even make a little on it. I see where the guys in CA are paying way over invoice for their cars.They would probably be happy to pay $1K over plus shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,418 Posts
Some SoCal dealers asked over MSRP. It is not so in NorCal. The only one I heard of going over MSRP was a Special Edition Coupe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
At our dealership deposits for Corvette Stingrays are refundable. Since many ordered without being able to drive a vehicle and in some cases not even being able to sit in a unit, how could you morally keep the deposit if the customer cancels. It's not like the dealer is going to get screwed by having one available for sale! I am sure there are many dealers that are selling available units over MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
IMG_4102.jpg AND I DON"T EVEN HAVE THE PIC OF THE ONE WHERE THEY WANTED TEN!!!! I left my dealer for another over it. The fancy model was marked up ten, the less expensive one five. Can you believe it? Wish I had the pic of the 10k still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,453 Posts
I'll go as far as to say I don't think any dealer will keep it, no matter if it's written as non refundable .... nobody wants that on their BBB report as a complaint....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
In California, they legally cannot even keep your deposit unless they can show you somehow harmed them. Given how your order is for something in very high demand that they can sell to someone else, there is no way they can show harm. New York may or may not be different. I don't know.
The same is true in Illinois. Can't keep a deposit. We often just hold a check rather than deposit it until delivery. If there is any real pushback from the dealer I would consult a local attorney about it, as suggested above. An attorney would know for sure what your rights are in your state. --Bob
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top