Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my new 2015 Arctic White Z51 today, the dealer offered me a coating option of Cilajet. $699 with a 10 year warranty. Supposed to reduce/eliminate waxing for those 10 years. Cilajet auto paint protection. Cilajet automotive paint protection. is the website. Anyone have any information or experience with this product, other than the celebrities quoted on their website?:)
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Mike

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Never buy any coating from adealer, its 300-500 pct profit or more. I used to be a dealer. Find a detailer who will put on a real coating. Dealers will use a non skilled person to apply it.

Run forrest.....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pappy, go to EsotericCarCare.com and buy some 22PLE. It's a 2 year coating that I used on my Torch Red C7. It's $85 a bottle, but easy to put on and work VERY well. It also gives you terrific depth to the paint.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'll check it out. My wife is a chemist, so she usually gets to make the decisions about how these products will or won't work.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Thanks! I'll check it out. My wife is a chemist, so she usually gets to make the decisions about how these products will or won't work.
Not a matter of the chemical make up, its the inflated price and the lack of skill by the kid putting it on.......and NOTHING, even the true coatings discussed in the detailing section here, lasts 10 years.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pappy, the $85 bottle will get you about 2 cars worth. I forgot-check out DetailedImage.com for this product. I used it on my C7 and I love it-it is protective and gives the paint really great depth.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm not familiar with Cilajet but XPEL Ultimate also has a 10 year warranty. Consider comparing. I had XPEL Ultimate applied on my C7 a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm not familiar with Cilajet but XPEL Ultimate also has a 10 year warranty. Consider comparing. I had XPEL Ultimate applied on my C7 a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy with the results.
Cilajet is a sealant

Xpel is a film (paint protection film )

apples - oranges

·
Registered
5 Posts
I imagine it's similar to Cquartz and A couple of other ones.

Cilijet is a sealant where as Cquartz is a ceramic coating. They are the same in the sense they offer protection. The ceramic coatings will have better scratch resistance as it is harder then your factory clear coat. A ceramic coating will add 2-3 microns to the paint, sealants dont even add 1 micron.

To the OP, as others have said, there is no product that will give 10 years of use, that's just not realistic. If you are looking for real protection of your vehicle you need to look into xpel film and ceramic coatings. There are several coating companies out there, my personal preference is C.Quartz Finest, this can only be applied by an authorized installer though. If you are a do it yourselfer I really believe it would be hard to beat C.QuartzUK

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I just removed cilajet from a Bentley to apply Cquartz Finest not too long ago. I can say that it was beading pretty well at almost a year, but the kicker was that the car was garage kept except for the 1000 miles the owner had put on it in that year, so mostly sat in the garage for its whole life. It was also not very hard to remove with some basic cleaning agents and some very light polishing. As mentioned, there are better coatings out there for your money, but its not going to be the worst thing to put on your car either.

If you want a more permanent and durable coating, I would highly recommend looking into Cquartz Finest. If you need help finding an installer in your area, I would be more than happy to help!

http://cqfinest.com/

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had 22ple applied to my Black 2LT Convertible and I am very pleased. The detailer said that 22ple is more 'flexible' than CQUARTZ Finest and is less likely to 'crack' over time. It's only been on my car for three weeks so I can't attest to the 22ple vs. CQUARTZ comparison. (My comment is not meant to be critical of CQUARTZ - I understand it's a great product.)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
22ple is a great product and will protect your Stingray just fine, but what he told you about the "cracking" or flexibility has no truth to it whatsoever. You will never see any of these coatings "crack" on the surface of your car, unless its some extremely low grade product, even then I dont even know that it is possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts