Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has a 2014 Z51 Stingray and he purchased the Elite "better" catch can with the clean side separator. He said that once he installed the separator, he can't remove the oil fill cap without loosening the entire reservoir mount. He says he plans on removing the separator. Is this a common problem with this aftermarket part? I was going to get one for my 2015, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Some of them have the cap in two pieces: one which threads on and stays forever, and then the top of the cap which pushes down into the base.

Did he try to just gently pull straight up on the top of the cap? If it is one of those two piece designs, it should come off easily.

Let us know which type his is.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Is it like this style?:

If so, all you do is twist and pull straight up. If it is a real early model, then it is more difficult to remove and can be exchanged for the current design.

The base 1/2 turn locks into the tank just as the OEM cap, and then you only need to pull up and twist to remove and add oil. Very simple....but he may not be aware of it. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rodney and Tracy, I'm not sure which one he has, but he bought it within the last 6 months from Elite.

·
Banned
631 Posts
See if you can get a picture of it....Elite has great customer service and one of us can help him with this. He does NOT want to go w/out it, that's a certainty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just put an Elite "better" kit in last night. It had the 2 piece, but neither the instructions it came with, or video on line explained the way it worked very well. I'm sure you friend has the two piece. It actually is designed very well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a RX can and clean side separator and it is also very hard to pull out, it comes out but takes some effort, assume it might loosen up in time, will call and get their advice if it doesn't, they are very helpful

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Maybe call or email Elite? I found Steve there very responsive to my emailed questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know for sure where the hose from the Elite clean air separator goes on a 2015 base (LT2) WET sump. I see lots of pictures and instructions for 2014s (clean air separator on passenger side), but nothing for the 2015 (clean air separator on the driver side). Photos for a novice would be greatly appreciated. I already contacted Elite; referred me to their instructions on the website for the 2014 model. Unfortunately, that is not helpful (to me, at least).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
No. They have no dry sump tank.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Does anyone know for sure where the hose from the Elite clean air separator goes on a 2015 base (LT2) WET sump. I see lots of pictures and instructions for 2014s (clean air separator on passenger side), but nothing for the 2015 (clean air separator on the driver side). Photos for a novice would be greatly appreciated. I already contacted Elite; referred me to their instructions on the website for the 2014 model. Unfortunately, that is not helpful (to me, at least).
Do you even need a clean air separator on a non-Z51?
No, you don't.

The difference Gmsamaras sees isn't the difference between a 2014 and a 2015, it's the difference between a dry sump (oil fill on passenger side) and wet sump. The clean side separator is only useful on the dry sump engine, to prevent oil burped from the tank from getting into the intake. There's no comparable issue to address on a wet sump engine.

Reactions: Gmsamaras
1 - 14 of 14 Posts