Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice and products to use when cleaning the black wheels on a Z51 package. I assume they're clear coated?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same wheels. Been using Adams deep wheel cleaner along with hand washing with a mitt for my previous wheels and continued to use the same process on these. It is a process though but I guarantee unbelievable results.
Use the deep wheel cleaner (not the green wheel cleaner) as instructed by Adams and it works almost all by itself without any additional cleaning. Just spray it on the dirty dry wheel. Do not rinse it off. Then agitate it with a soft bristle brush by simply wiping the cleaner all over the wheel and the caliper. Adams sells the brush too. It's the trim and lug nut brush. The cleaner which sprays on clear will then start to turn purple. Now you can just simply rinse off the wheel and it will magically be completely clean. Or, what I do is then take my wash mitt in soapy water and reach inside the wheel and really scrub the inside walls and behind the spokes. Adams even has a brush to get in there easier. I then take a soaped up microfiber towel and wash the calipers as best as I can. Virtually flossing between the spoke and caliper. Use a soaped up wheel brush on the tires and inside the wheel wells. Rinse everything. I grab my electric leaf blower to dry the entire wheel, tire and well. Very little drying need after that but I give it a once over with a clean dry microfiber. I suggest a sealant and /or a wax coating on them to help the future brake dust and road dirt come off easier with the next cleaning.

I also own a 2014 Jeep SRT and those wheel get the dirtiest I've ever seen. Just going from one traffic light to the next, you see the brake dust forming on the wheel. The wheels go from their brush chrome color to virtually black with caked on dirt and dust. This process works on those wheels like a charm. That's my proven test on how well their cleaner works. The dirt and dust just melt away with no heavy scrubbing.
Good luck!
- Evan

·
Registered
755 Posts
Bleaning Blk. Z51 wheels

Hello Wadebart:

I have used reg car wash products, ie: McGuires car wash. No problems and they look great after every wash. I bought a long washing wand to get in between the spokes and deep in the wheel. Since I clean the wheels fairly constantly, they are never that bad and it is easy. I am planning to go over them with some McGuires scratch remover & polish them with some reg. polish after & before I tuck my baby away for the winter. They are not bad but it won't hurt. The wand also fits between the front claipers and the wheel. So, no missed spots or rolling the car forward. They are not hard to clean and the end result is quite rewarding. I believe the washing wand was by Simonize.

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Cleaning and sealing are two diff operations
Clean with dawn dishwashing once
Alcohol wipe
Two coats of nufinish polymer -12 hours apart
Then wash weekly with car wash soap

Total detailing docs here for effective easy procedures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44ctxbsgb/AACIMr-qZl7vdwVcVlC5djtQa?dl=0

Long term the wheel will chip and scratch, it's inevitable : need to powdercoat them

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like spraying the wheels down with Iron-X, cleaning with wheels tools and regular soap in a bucket, rinse, spray with Hydro2 and rinse. Keeping those wheels protected is very important as they tend to scratch fairly easy, Hydro2 make protecting them extremely easy.

-Kody-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts