Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Any advice for cleaning the exhaust tips? Are these just raw stainless steel with no clear coating? I've been getting black staining that's difficult to remove, but don't want to use anything abrasive if there's a clearcoat of some kind.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I don't believe there's a clear coating on them. Fine polishing compound works on the stains, the very fine white stuff not the red coarse kind

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Reactions: AIR Z51 and elegant

·
Registered
305 Posts
Go to a motorcycle shop and buy "Semi-Chrome Polish". I've been using it since the 60's, will make them look like chrome. Wipe them off after every drive.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Any metal polish you choose will clean them up nicely, then if you take a moment to wipe them off once a week or so you won't have to polish them again for quite awhile.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Go to a motorcycle shop and buy "Semi-Chrome Polish". I've been using it since the 60's, will make them look like chrome. Wipe them off after every drive.
Apply CQuartz afterwards to keep them clean.
These two products are my "secret" solution. Just be sure to clean the tips with an alcohol solution after the simichrome, to remove any residue, before applying the CQuartz.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
10 Posts
For cleaning my exhaust tips I use a microfiber towel (instead of a brush or wash mitt). One single towel will clean all 4 pipes and the housing as well. It's easy to get deep into the pipes and loosen the grime. I use one microfiber towel for the exhaust, and one for each wheel, so 5 towels total per wash. After the wash is complete I take all my towels and wash them together. While I wouldn't use them for polishing or wiping down the paint after dedicating them to wash the wheels/exhaust, they work well if you follow that process for the wheels/exhaust wash after wash. I picked up a 30 pack of those towels for about $15 at my local Costco.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use Simichrome polish on Harley and Vette, also Brasso or similar liquid polish/cleaner. Easily applied and wiped clean with an old sock. Quick shine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts