Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was bored today and went up to my dealer to look at the C7's in the showroom. First time I sat in one with the clear roof and was quite surprised how thin, and hate to use the word cheap, the roof was. It flexed under one finger and I felt I could put my fist thru it. I can see why these would be tough to have in hot weather no insulating value at all. It seems if a baseball ever hit one of these it would shatter.

Sorry I guess I'm just use to my old C4 clear roof which was a lot darker and thicker (and heavier of course) almost like glass.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure, it has to meet certain mandates of course. I was just surprised how flexible it was which in turn felt thin.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Polycarbonate. I have a pergola with a clear roof made from the stuff. It's about 1/8" thick and will take up to 50 lb per square foot. At 20 x 24 feet I could park 2 cars on top of it with that thin cheap (but not inexpensive) stuff.
For the car, some level of flexibility is good so it will move with the car instead of against it creating squeaks and rattles.

JMHO of course, your mileage may vary:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love my transparent roof panel!!!!!

John P. Dwyer

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered the clear roof and wondering and waiting to see if it is going to be too hot in summer. I do not think there is anything like a partition to pull?

·
18,669 Posts
I ordered the clear roof and wondering and waiting to see if it is going to be too hot in summer. I do not think there is anything like a partition to pull?
Two aftermarket options (either just out or out shortly). A "cling" vinyl, you can put on in the summer, take off during the winter should you want, which will allow light through, but have thousands of tiny dark dots to reduce light/heat transmittance. Second option is similar, but not a "cling" but applies with corner sections cups (or similar).

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Two aftermarket options (either just out or out shortly). A "cling" vinyl, you can put on in the summer, take off during the winter should you want, which will allow light through, but have thousands of tiny dark dots to reduce light/heat transmittance. Second option is similar, but not a "cling" but applies with corner sections cups (or similar).
Will this work as a third option? Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US http://bit.ly/dua0Kk

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: Houston123

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sooner or later we'll see aftermarket shades to specifically fit the C7's transparent roof. The cling is interesting though... but the easier to apply/remove the better. Here's somewhat of a visual perspective... Tadge clearly has the sunlight beaming onto him. No rush for me since I have dual tops and can switch when needed. Heat obviously penetrates but I still love it and it's a great view under moonlit starry skies or under lights during the evenings.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,285 Posts
Will this work as a third option? Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum
According to my installer who did RedHot in Crystalline, it can not be successfully applied to the transparent roof. So far I have not found any aftermarket solutions specific for the C7. The same company I worked with that did the HeatShield for my windshield (posted elsewhere) is working on a solution for the transparent roof panel.:cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Living in Vegas, I have ordered both the color matched and clear roofs (C5, C6 & now my C7) each time I order the next generation. The C6 and C7 are thinner but very strong. A jerk driver of a big rig purposely flipped his cigarette on my C6 roof and it melted a spot in no time. I am sure he did it on purpose and is lucky he didn't pull over when I tried to stop him-anyway, the clear comes off in April/May and the color matched goes on till October-get's way too hot with the clear top. I love the clear top though and prefer it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm wondering,if over the years, if the clear roof will get spider lines on it. I used my clear roof on my C5 almost always and eventually, looking up thru the roof, there were all these lines throughout the entire roof but couldn't see them looking down on it.

·
Administrator
16,285 Posts
I'm wondering,if over the years, if the clear roof will get spider lines on it. I used my clear roof on my C5 almost always and eventually, looking up thru the roof, there were all these lines throughout the entire roof but couldn't see them looking down on it.
How would anyone know the answer to that since the C7 transparent panel is a different from prior Corvettes. We will just have to revisit this several years down the line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts