Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this is a belt tensioner issue, but my searches on this forum say this is usually a visible oil leak.

At slower speeds (wind noise covers it at higher speeds) in 1-3 gears, I hear a clicking sound coming from the front left corner of the car. It is the SAME noise as if someone played a joke on me and put a zip tie on one of the axles, but it is not vehicle speed dependent, but engine RPM dependent. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Are you hearing the injectors?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, definitely not the injectors. This is a similar noise but much less frequent, as if only one injector was bad and making a lot of noise, not all 8!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It's more than likely the secondary DI fuel pump. The new GM DI engines all make this noise to some degree or another and the volume of the noise seems to vary based on conditions. I heard it on my '14 Siiverado (since traded) and now on my C7.

Don't compare injector noise you are familiar with to these new DI injectors. These run at over 2,000 PSI +.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Perhaps this is a belt tensioner issue, but my searches on this forum say this is usually a visible oil leak...
The belt tensioner will sometimes begin to fail before fluid is noticed. A ticking noise is usually the first "tell".

·
Registered
242 Posts
My C7 also makes a noticeable ticking at lower speeds. I'm guessing this is normal from what I've read concerning injectors.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I expect that is true. Most of the reports of the belt tensioner heading south indicates that it sometimes makes more noise than the injectors. If it turns out to be the belt tensioner it will in time begin to show hyd. oil wetness in the engine bay and underneath the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have noticed a light clicking sound too. Didn't think anything more of it. I do notice a very similar sound coming from my truck.

CPL Mo USMC Vet

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dealer told me this was the Direct injection. It's noisy because it's under a lot of pressure. I don't know if this is true just wanted it documented.

CPL Mo USMC Vet

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have noticed what sounds like plastic rattling on the left front end around 1500 rpm; once I accelerate it stops when i shift into the next gear. i have also noticed a lot water under the car from the ac (seems more than usual) and not sure if its related.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check the tensioner today to see if there is any oil coming out of it. Good to hear others may be experiencing the same noise - but it is definitely NOT the direct injection!

jeffros, there is only one possible source of water which is from the A/C. It is directly correlated to the relative humidity outside (the more humidity in the air, the more water dripping) so no worries there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts